High Definition Television

Status
Not open for further replies.

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Chaparral receiver Irte 1.8m Dish
With regards to HiDef TV you will need a Digital input on your monitor (HDMI jack or an HDCP-enabled DVI jack).

The first batch of HiDef receivers S*Y will ship may have component jacks this to accommodate existing monitors. After this the second batch they will be HDMI only, HDCP-DVI to HDMI converters are available. There will be normal outputs available but these will be downconverted so no HiDef.

Two standards will be used 720p and 1080i the first one for sports and movies etc the latter for documentary and news etc. The broadcaster will determine these modes as they are in control of the receiver.

I have just had demonstration of High Definition on Panasonic Plasma TH42PV500CAB the source is a Japanese Hi-vision receiver fed HiDef pictures from a hard drive using component inputs on the plasma. The images were simply stunning there were no colours bleed no stepping on diagonal lines the reinforcement in imagery was breathtaking. The demo consisted of two champagne glasses with champagne bubbles rising to the top I could see every bubble that made every bubble up as they rose to the top the quality was simply stunning it’s a though I just opened my eye’s for the first time wow!

Then we returned to Animal plant on S*y digital the picture simply pure shite worse than Long play VHS, if I was paying for that I would be demanding my money back, I’m now having trouble watching terrestrial pictures and I have a improved definition television made by Sony.

They should scrap Fr**vi*w and change it over to HiDef .

High Definition will come via the USA on HD-DVD import, programmes are all ready made in HiDef, Once this takes effect broadcasters will have no choice to launch HiDef along with Dolby Digitals and DTS in the UK as viewer number will diminish, revenues will be down, this could be the end of Tv as we know it.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
this is extremely confused!

Hi Vision was an analogue HDTV system developed by NHK, and used for years in tv production. The broadcast version was MUSE, now defunct.

The current digital tv standard, MPEG 2, is fully HDTV compliant, and such broadcasts have been happening for many years, and you can buy the receivers here: http://www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=21_44 .

Some Japanese manufacturers are using the logo "hi vision" as a marketing gimmic, but it simply means MPEG2 HDTV, nothing else.

The connection between the HDTV reveiver and display screen is analogue, not digital.

Any decent tv set can display an excellent picture without luminance/ chrominance cross modulation , from the scart input, or even by using a comb filter on the PAL or NTSC signal. However, most tv sets are incapable of displaying the full 575 lines of a PAL picture, never mind HDTV!

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
What Are you on about Spiney?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
sorry, idmt link is digital, i misread your acronym. The rest is correct, though.

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thanks Spiney

I did not get hoodwinked by a sales person the Panasonic Plasma is a current model

See Link http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th42pv500cab/index.htm

As far as the Digital Hivsion Receiver Panasonic TZ-DCH500 used in the demo Check out these Links http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://panasonic.biz/broad/product/catv/tz-dch500/tz-dch500.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtz-dch500%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1255

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://panasonic.biz/broad/news/nr_040123/nr_040123_tz-dch500.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtz-dch500%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1255

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.itmedia.co.jp/lifestyle/articles/0401/23/news041.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtz-dch500%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1255

Regarding the Scart this is an Analogue Connection so is Composite, SVHS, RGB and Component inputs and outputs. HDMI is digital, Picture and Sound.

spiney said:
sorry, idmt link is digital, i misread your acronym. The rest is correct, though.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/results/annual94/r12.html .

Note that hi vision is a video production system. There are no hi vision (Muse)broadcasts in Europe, nor will there be.

The plasma screens you saw were developed by NHK/Panasonic, as part of the Muse project, but are simply standard display devices (albeit high definition).

(added) NHK have long tried to promote hi vision as a replacement for 35mm film, claiming that the quality is similar, but in fact it's a lot worse!

(added) HDMI may be a digital link, but in fact involves several stages of video standards conversion, overcomplicated and not a good idea (expect jerky pictures!).

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Never said there was Muse broadcasts or likley to be in Europe

These are current Panasonic models and what do you define as a standard display?

And what's wrong with HDMI?

spiney said:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/results/annual94/r12.html .

Note that hi vision is a video production system. There are no hi vision (Muse)broadcasts in Europe, nor will there be.

The plasma screens you saw were developed by NHK/Panasonic, as part of the Muse project, but are simply standard display devices (albeit high definition).

(added) NHK have long tried to promote hi vision as a replacement for 35mm film, claiming that the quality is similar, but in fact it's a lot worse!

(added) HDMI may be a digital link, but in fact involves several stages of video standards conversion, overcomplicated and not a good idea (expect jerky pictures!).

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
you specifically said "Hi Vision receiver". As i say, they don't exist in Europe. And they're all Muse (because you can't broadcast a 30MHz video signal!).

Actual Hi Vision is an obsolete analogue tv system!

So, what did you really mean?

what was the video source for the demo you saw?

if it was actual hi vision, that's 1125 lines/ 30 Hz, entirely incompatible with any European tv!

If 1080 lines, that's just MPEG2 HDEF, which has been going ages.

That's why i say "confused", and why i'm asking.

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic have shipped Panasonic TZ-DCH500 (Terrestrial digital, BS digital and CS multi channel broadcasts) digital CATV receivers for authorised dealers to demonstrate the latest range of HiDef compatible Plasma/LCD monitors too consumers. The video source was from a Rec-pot HVR-250m HiDef recorder containing a Hard Drive.

The TZ-DCH500 was connected too the plasma via component video inputs and the display resolution was 720p Progressive scan from the above hardware.

If you read carefully the fourth paragraph it say’s ( HiDef pictures from a hard drive using component inputs on the plasma).

And what's wrong with HDMI?

Go and seek for yourself a High Definition demonstration at an authorised Panasonic dealer ship such as Shop@Panasonic retailer.

My demo was from an independent Panasonic service centre/retailer.

Again check the links.

This was only a demo not a live broadcast!

spiney said:
you specifically said "Hi Vision receiver". As i say, they don't exist in Europe. And they're all Muse (because you can't broadcast a 30MHz video signal!).

Actual Hi Vision is an obsolete analogue tv system!

So, what did you really mean?

what was the video source for the demo you saw?

if it was actual hi vision, that's 1125 lines/ 30 Hz, entirely incompatible with any European tv!

If 1080 lines, that's just MPEG2 HDEF, which has been going ages.

That's why i say "confused", and why i'm asking.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
i would prefer links to english sites, not japanese ones.

i have seen hi def tv, thankyou, lots more than you have.

You still haven't said what the video source is, and i can only guess it was a 1080 line system, otherwise the equipment was entirely japanese, hence incompatible with all European tv.

in fact, i assumed you'd seen a promotional demo, but that isn't what you said originally.

hdmi has a few problems, not least the 5 GHz bandwith, occupying the entire existing radio spectrum, and it costs a lot, ok if you're spending £30,000 on a tv set, but not for most people.

HDTV is coming, but not in that version, and as i say most tv sets can't display the exisiting resoution anyway (a slightly better tv set is a lot cheaper than hi def!).

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Links are in English can’t you find the translate link?

Don’t assume anything (Mines bigger than yours attitude)

The source was demo material from a hard drive containing High Definition Images delivered to the Plasma in 720p using the equipment as explained above.

Of course it’s incompatible with European Tv it was only a demo!.

Don’t you mean 5Gig Bandwith; it’s not a Microwave.

You can buy a equipment with HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface), Samsung DVD-HD850 for £109.00 which has 720p or1080i upscaling need a monitor how about the Samsung DLP TV SP46l6HXX/XEU for £1174.99 total £1283.99 not quite £30.000 is it.

Didn’t say it would be in that version but 1080i and 720p are the standards.

So you prefer Pal 575i/25 to 1080i/25 and 720p/50 resolutions?

Members locate High Definition Demonstrations and report your views in a new Thread.

spiney said:
i would prefer links to english sites, not japanese ones.

i have seen hi def tv, thankyou, lots more than you have.

You still haven't said what the video source is, and i can only guess it was a 1080 line system, otherwise the equipment was entirely japanese, hence incompatible with all European tv.

in fact, i assumed you'd seen a promotional demo, but that isn't what you said originally.

hdmi has a few problems, not least the 5 GHz bandwith, occupying the entire existing radio spectrum, and it costs a lot, ok if you're spending £30,000 on a tv set, but not for most people.

HDTV is coming, but not in that version, and as i say most tv sets can't display the exisiting resoution anyway (a slightly better tv set is a lot cheaper than hi def!).

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Would love to contribute to this discussion, but unfortunately know diddley squat about it, I would be obliged however, if we could keep the temperature at a simmer, or preferrably just below. ;)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
As i keep saying, the USA-Japanese and European broadcast tv standards are incompatible, from the 25/30 Hz different frame rates, irrespective of analogue, digital, HDTV, etc.

To go between them you need a standards converter, not too difficult with modern technology, but still an expensive item, (not something stocked by Maplin!).

European HDTV broadcasts ahve been going for some years, and you can buy the receivers, but in no way compatible with Japanese Tv.

No doubt Panasonic will market higher def Plasma screens, just like other manufacturers, but for European standards.

720p and 1080i are meaningless.

imdt covers the entire broadcast spectrum, including microwaves.

I'm happy to discuss, but need actual solid info, not sales jargon!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
(added) the Japanese links don't translate well, and are for Japanese cable tv receivers! Not usable in Europe.

1080i and 720p are plasma screen scan modes, not HDTV standards (and they're the wrong way round!).

You did originally say, top of this thread, that Hi Vision receivers would be going on sale in Britian. As I've pointed out several times, utter tosh.

(if u said you'd seen a hi def plasma screen demo, then ok, I can't possibly disagree withe that!).

as to "mine's bigger than yours", it probably is, but what's that got to do with it?

What would be interesting is details on HDTV DVD players. As DVD lasers are blue (highest frequency, unless you move into x rays!), then the optics must have been much improved, to allow a smaller scanning area.

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Why would you want a standards converter as all modern Televisions are multi standard

I know they are incompatible.

I know.

Panasonic are shipping HiDef Plasma screens now.

Does it, I’ll warn my food up using a HDMI Lead

720p and 1080i are meaningless, What?

1080i and 720p are plasma screen scan modes, not HDTV standards (and they're the wrong way round!). What?

You did originally say, top of this thread, that Hi Vision receivers would be going on sale in Britian. As I've pointed out several times, utter tosh

Can’t find any reference to the above in my thread.

Never said that Hi Vision receivers would be going on sale in Britain.

I was referring to Sky HiDef receivers. (S*Y)

I did say, I have just had a demonstration of High Definition on a Panasonic Plasma TH42PV500CAB.

Ha Ha Ha Ha, your attitude

HDTV DVD player lasers are violet not blue BlueRay is sales/marketing jargon.

Spiney get in through your thick scull this was only a Demostration

spiney said:
(added) the Japanese links don't translate well, and are for Japanese cable tv receivers! Not usable in Europe.

1080i and 720p are plasma screen scan modes, not HDTV standards (and they're the wrong way round!).

You did originally say, top of this thread, that Hi Vision receivers would be going on sale in Britian. As I've pointed out several times, utter tosh.

(if u said you'd seen a hi def plasma screen demo, then ok, I can't possibly disagree withe that!).

as to "mine's bigger than yours", it probably is, but what's that got to do with it?

What would be interesting is details on HDTV DVD players. As DVD lasers are blue (highest frequency, unless you move into x rays!), then the optics must have been much improved, to allow a smaller scanning area.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.