High winds lost signal

rkbwap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate single, 80cm motorised dish
My Location
liverpool
During the high winds of last week a trampoline smashed into the arm of my sat moving it out of position. it just twisted the sat, all the fixings, elevation etc seem to have stayed spot on. Lined 28.2 up for the football on Sat expecting all the other sats would align, but no. Done some research, borrowed a meter, tried to move the Sat to BBC World news on Thor, when I choose the channel the channel frequencies do not appear on my tv, it remains blank & I'm also not getting a 'lock'. using the meter I can not find 0.8. Its locking on 28.2 & Hotbird but Thor and 19.2 are not. When the arm/lnb got hit, the little plastic covering on the lnb was split allowing ingress of water, could this be a lnb problem? Is this symptomatic of a faulty lnb? uk channels & Italy are working great. Ive ordered a new one just in case, most of my viewing is on Thor & I realyl want it back for the weekend.Thanks in advance.

A nonymous

Reaction score
If the dish is twisted you may have problems with 1w as the signal isn't spectaculary strong in the UK. Saying that Astra 19.2e is one of the strongest in the UK, stronger than Hotbird.

Whats sort of meter are you using? If its a beeper type one you will have no idea of what satellite you are looking at which could explain a lot.

If the lnb is allowing water ingress i would replace it.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
If the boom arm is damaged or bent slightly, that would also give you the symptoms described.

rkbwap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
liverpool
If the dish is twisted you may have problems with 1w as the signal isn't spectaculary strong in the UK. Saying that Astra 19.2e is one of the strongest in the UK, stronger than Hotbird.

Whats sort of meter are you using? If its a beeper type one you will have no idea of what satellite you are looking at which could explain a lot.

If the lnb is allowing water ingress i would replace it.

Thanks for the quick reply. When I say the dish twisted. The bracket holding the motor on the pole twisted a few inches, turning the sat well out of position. I just loosened the bolts & turned it back into position. I only used one of the cheap konig meters, but I would have thought when I turned the motor to 0.8 it would only have been some fine tuning/turning of the motor bracket to align back up. but ive wasted hours trying to no avail. i'll put the new lnb on to see when it arrives to see if it makes any difference.

A

Archive4

Don´t think the lnb is the problem, if all is ok on UK and Italian channels. Check to ensure you are receiving H and V on high and low band, if you are the lnb is working fine. If you can see 28.2 and 13 you should be able to see 19.2 as well. check 12.5 W and 39 E and post back.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Thanks for the quick reply. When I say the dish twisted. The bracket holding the motor on the pole twisted a few inches, turning the sat well out of position. I just loosened the bolts & turned it back into position. I only used one of the cheap konig meters, but I would have thought when I turned the motor to 0.8 it would only have been some fine tuning/turning of the motor bracket to align back up. but ive wasted hours trying to no avail. i'll put the new lnb on to see when it arrives to see if it makes any difference.
During the high winds of last week a trampoline smashed into the arm of my sat moving it out of position. it just twisted the sat, all the fixings, elevation etc seem to have stayed spot on. Lined 28.2 up for the football on Sat expecting all the other sats would align, but no. Done some research, borrowed a meter, tried to move the Sat to BBC World news on Thor, when I choose the channel the channel frequencies do not appear on my tv, it remains blank & I'm also not getting a 'lock'. using the meter I can not find 0.8. Its locking on 28.2 & Hotbird but Thor and 19.2 are not. When the arm/lnb got hit, the little plastic covering on the lnb was split allowing ingress of water, could this be a lnb problem? Is this symptomatic of a faulty lnb? uk channels & Italy are working great. Ive ordered a new one just in case, most of my viewing is on Thor & I realyl want it back for the weekend.Thanks in advance.
Try Aljazeera News, much stronger than BBC News.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Ahhh you never said it ws a motorised setup :-doh

To be honest when i have to sort that sort of issue out i always start from scratch again. I send the motor to 1w and then completely re-allign again on 1w (my nearest southern sat) as if its a new setup. Make sure the dish is central on the motor shaft and that the iclination of the motor is as it should be otherwise the dish won't follow the arc.

Just a word of advice though, if you are where your profile suggests i.e in Liverpool, 4w is your most southern sat not 1w.

Liverpool co-ordinates = 53.4000° N, 3.0000° W

4w is a no go with an 80cm dish so line up on 5w as thats the strongest southern satellite that your dish will pick up on from your location. Its also really strong in the UK, a lot stronger than 1w.

If it was myself i would use the sat meter on your receiver through the TV, it will be more acurate than one of those Konig beeper things.

Your lnb is probably still ok but as advised earlier if its allowing water ingress i would replace it sooner rather than later as if its got water going into it, its only a matter of time before it packs up. Changing it whilst your working on the dish would make aa lot more sence.

Nano

Last edited:

rkbwap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
liverpool
Thanks for the advice boys, I'm away from home until Friday now, so will try a few things when home. Thank you.

rkbwap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
liverpool
Got home early so got stuck into fixing this problem. got a lock on Thor Al azeera, best signal I could get was @70%. getting a lock on 13, 19, 23.5 & 28.2 also. Getting a few Channels but not getting loads of channels I was before all this happened. 6'eren is on of my faves but when I choose this channel it just says 'tune failed'. S@@ Germany Sports, nothing. I checked if my transponder details for these channels were correct, 6'eren was but on Germany the frequencies were correct but the FEC was 9/10, I can choose 1-8 & auto but 9/10 isn't an option on my manual search options. never noticed this before, is that the reason or would the 'auto' setting be enough for it to search it out? Am I nearly there with just some fine tuning needed?