Horizon meter fault/set up ??

Nige1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY+, Freesat, Technomate 3500.
My Location
Essex
Playing around with positions with Zone 1 dish and been trying to pick up 30w with no joy so just to make sure meter wasnt palying up I swung dish back round to 28 (pucker signal) then 19.2 and couldnt pick that up either. Neighbours gable end in line of site but seriously doubted that was the problem as far enough away to clear it so set dish up with my old premiere meter and found 19.2 straight away and after tweaking picked up good h/v. Slapped my Horizon on there and still searching on verticals but locked signal on horizontals. I realise that the two meters must be set up for different transponders as when I tweaked the dish with the premiere to best signal I have to adjust it slightly for highest reading using the Horizon. Now I can understand this but cant figure out why I cant get a lock on verticals let alone any type of quality..Anybody any ideas? Ive downloaded the latest firmware and uploaded a new transponder list yesterday so cant see that its searching for an unused/out of date transponder??? stuck for suggestions but wondering if this is the reason I cant pick up 30w. any help much appreciated:confused

Nige1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Playing around with positions with Zone 1 dish and been trying to pick up 30w with no joy so just to make sure meter wasnt palying up I swung dish back round to 28 (pucker signal) then 19.2 and couldnt pick that up either. Neighbours gable end in line of site but seriously doubted that was the problem as far enough away to clear it so set dish up with my old premiere meter and found 19.2 straight away and after tweaking picked up good h/v. Slapped my Horizon on there and still searching on verticals but locked signal on horizontals. I realise that the two meters must be set up for different transponders as when I tweaked the dish with the premiere to best signal I have to adjust it slightly for highest reading using the Horizon. Now I can understand this but cant figure out why I cant get a lock on verticals let alone any type of quality..Anybody any ideas? Ive downloaded the latest firmware and uploaded a new transponder list yesterday so cant see that its searching for an unused/out of date transponder??? stuck for suggestions but wondering if this is the reason I cant pick up 30w. any help much appreciated:confused

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nothing to do with your Meter(s), but how are you getting the correct Skew for 30W with a Zone 1 Dish?

It'll be miles out, surely, owing to the small and specific adjustment range permitted with Sky LNBs.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nothing to do with your Meter(s), but how are you getting the correct Skew for 30W with a Zone 1 Dish?

It'll be miles out, surely, owing to the small and specific adjustment range permitted with Sky LNBs.

Nige1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Ive got an old grundig lnb that I modified by filing out the casing.

Ok strange thing now. I whipped the winston quad lnb off my other set up and stuck it on my trial dish and as I moved the dish I twisted the lnb to 5 o`clockish and it found it Hipsasat straight away..moved it round to 19.2 and it locked on verticals with good quality.:confused:confused
So my old premiere will give good quality on verticals on 19.2 with the grundig lnb but the horizon wont even lock on but change the lnb and Horizon locks and gives good quality.

Nige1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Ive got an old grundig lnb that I modified by filing out the casing.

Ok strange thing now. I whipped the winston quad lnb off my other set up and stuck it on my trial dish and as I moved the dish I twisted the lnb to 5 o`clockish and it found it Hipsasat straight away..moved it round to 19.2 and it locked on verticals with good quality.:confused:confused
So my old premiere will give good quality on verticals on 19.2 with the grundig lnb but the horizon wont even lock on but change the lnb and Horizon locks and gives good quality.