Hotbird art channels help

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorized. Diablo 2.3 lite cam with cas3 interface.
My Location
Lancashire
This is my 1st post regarding my 1st setup.

I have an 80cm dish, triax universal lnb and a Morgan's viaccess receiver. I have bought a 12 month art full package card which is in ci slot 1.

My problem is that I am not getting the art sport channels, it just says searching for signal. I get all the fta channels from hotbird 13 deg east and when I try to get the art sports it just says searching for signal. My signal strength is between 91 and 100% on the auto search page, I am baffled.

When I manually search the freq for the art sports my meter says 0 signal. So if my problem is with the tp freq how do I sort it out.

I thought since I am getting 100% signal strength from hotbird surely I should get all the channels with the card?

Where is my problem?
Do I need a cam?
Is the card rubbish?
Do I need a new lnb?
Do I need to alter something on the lnb?
Do I need to update the receiver software?

I won't let this beat me!!
Please help.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum aerialview

Please name some FTA channels you are receiving.....
Just a stab in the dark in the meantime
Is your receiver set for a universal lnb as Art sports is on 12015H 27500 3/4 and if your receiver is not set correctly it will not be reaching this frequency?

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

My receiver is set to universal lnb. I have maually searched for feq 12015H and my receiver shows no signal and/or fail when trying to install this channel.

Some of the channels I am getting, well without switching it on, off the top of my head are Rai, sportsitalia, all the sexyarab ones, real madrid tv, al jazerrea. Getting loads of fta channels no problem.

Just want to say, 22 views and only one person could reply.
I'm getting the vibe this is one for the big boys!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well there aren't any terrestrial based transmissions at the same IF as that transponder, but there is still a possibility that something like a DECT phone could block it. Try switching off your DECT phone if it is nearby and take the handset into another room.

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/rf_freq_allo_euro.htm

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Many thanks for the reply and the link rolfw.

There is a cordless phone in the environment, I would be very suprised if that solved my problem, but I will give it a go. I know you know your stuff rolfw.

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Still no joy after trying that i'm afraid rolfw.

Could it be the card?? Thats what I think it is.

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
All ideas, however stupid they may seem are welcome.
Im at a dead end with this art sports lark and really really want the solution.

This has to be one of the most stressful hobbies going. Im sure the rewards are great but im just not seeing any light at the end of the hotbird tunnel.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
What signal/strngth and more importantly quality do you get on 12015H?

Just a suggestion but dont take offence - you are scanning for all channels and not just the fta ones arent you?

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Thank you for the reply Analoguesat.

You can ask me any question as simple as you think it maybe and I wont take offence pal. You never know, it could always be something simple. I am just grateful of the help. I am scanning for all channels.

When I select 112015 my meter shows zero signal. I get no picture, just message "seraching signal".

Ive looked into it further today; I am begining to think my sat needs some fine adjustment as there are quite a few fequencys that are getting either zero or not enough signal for a picture. The only thing that is making me think it could be something else is that I am getting loads of FTA channels through with a mustard picture and audio.

Does the off-set angle of the lnb make any difference?
Mine is off-set at around (f-type connection pionting at...) 170- 160 degs

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
aerialview said:

If that's Clockwise, it's in the wrong position, you need to set the skew (as it is called) to about 7 o'clock then looking at you receiver's meter adjust it either way to get the best quality... :)

Also moving the LNB toward and away from the dish face can help too as this adjusts the focus on the LNB... :)

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Quality advice 2cvbloke.

Time to adjust the "skew"

Can't adust the LNB distance as I am on one of those triax dishes with the (none) folding arm.

Many thanks for the reply pal

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
aerialview said:

You can ask me any question as simple as you think it maybe and I wont take offence pal. You never know, it could always be something simple. I am just grateful of the help. I am scanning for all channels.

When I select 112015 my meter shows zero signal. I get no picture, just message "seraching signal".

Ive looked into it further today; I am begining to think my sat needs some fine adjustment as there are quite a few fequencys that are getting either zero or not enough signal for a picture. The only thing that is making me think it could be something else is that I am getting loads of FTA channels through with a mustard picture and audio.

Does the off-set angle of the lnb make any difference?

Some of the 13E tp's are stronger than others. It just so happens 12015H is one of the weaker ones.. You probably need to fine tune the dish alignment slightly.

If you have a standard offset dish, the dish face should be more or less vertical in the UK. MARK all the dish mounting points BEFORE you move anything with pencil or tippex or something thats not going to wash off if you get a shower of rain. - then if you get hopelessly lost you have a starting point to go back to. A good test of a well aliggned 13E dish is this fta channel:

10829 H
3333 3/4 (Duna II Autonómia TV)

If you move the dish move it no more than a few mm at a time in any direction.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Oh and DONT try to rush it - try to set aside a couple of hours where you can work in peace. Alignment is a bit of a black art even to the experts sometimes its a 5 minute job, and sometimes it takes bloody hours!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
aerialview said:
Quality advice 2cvbloke.

Time to adjust the "skew"

Can't adust the LNB distance as I am on one of those triax dishes with the (none) folding arm.

Many thanks for the reply pal

The LNB distance is done by moving the LNB itself, not the arm... :)

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Thanks for the replies cvbloke and Analoguesat.

I have just added Duna II Autonómia TV and I am watching it now, looks like I deserve a pat on the back for a good install???!!!??

I am getting that fta channel pukka, I'll have a bash at re-tuning my angles tomorrow and report back.

Great tip about marking the points Analoguesat, genius!!!
I have a decent satfinder with an annoying high pitched beep and meter that I use to find my little hotbird but I love the idea of always having a good starting point.

I will report back tomorrow when Im tuned in.

Cheers fellas.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thats strange - if you can get Duna Autonomia I would have expected you to get 12015 Right - can you see Iqra in your channel list?

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Ive been thinking that for a while Analoguesat, thanks again for getting back to me.

I can see the channel IQRAA - ARABESQUE if thats the one you mean, its on freq 12015 so low and behold "searching for signal" is all I get however my box knows its there.

I am goin to have a play with the dish and lnb and I will keep you posted.

Cheers Analoguesat, hopefully this is doing your head in as much as it is mine!!!!!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you can see Iqraa then you are getting 12015 no matter what your box might say as thats the only frequency its transmitted on.

It might be worth adding the pids manually for a couple of the ART channels to see if they appear then. That option will be in the menus somewhere.

Just a though - do you have any channels labelled TVxxxxxx (or similar) where xxx can be any letters or numbers in your channel list - occasionally a receiver will decide not to add the channel name and makes its own designator up. :D

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
I dont know if the receiver has the channels stored in its memory or not so I can't be 100% sure that I am getting that channel purely from scanning.

Ive just had a play and got no where. The most I got out of the bugger was 86% strength on 12015, which isn't enough to get it on.

I'll get back to you on the xxx things as I've just lost the lot. Going to have butty and then i'll see if I can get myself back to my starting point.

Im a breath away from getting the roof ladders out and mounting my dish on the chimney to see if that helps.

Thanks for your time pal

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
aerialview said:
Im a breath away from getting the roof ladders out and mounting my dish on the chimney to see if that helps.

Do you think that there is something obstructing the line of sight?