hotbird & Astra on 1 dish - help

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
Hi All,

I have got an 88cm dish with a monoblock(with single out) and want to view hotbird & Astra 19

my questions are:

1) which of the two satellites do align my dish to.
2) which of the two lnb horns should my lnb arm from dish grab

by d way i have got a compliant disec1.2 receiver

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Although there are a couple of different types, I believe that the standard setup is for the prime focus and default LNB to be the Hotbird satellite. That being the case you should clamp the right hand side (as you look from behind the LNB towards the dish) and aim the dish at Hotbird, selecting DiseqC 2 or B should then bring in Astra 19.2 without any further tweaking.

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
thanks, i will sort that out over the weekend.

i have currently clamped the LHS with astra as prime focus. although this seem to work(i think), will your method be a better setup.

css_jay99

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, its either one or the other, so if you are getting both satellites with it set up as you have it, that is obviously the right way. :)

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
Actually, I think i will go with your method, reason for this is bcos you get stronger signals off Astra(i think ?), so it is probably better to use the weaker signal as a prime focus

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There should be an optimum setting css_jay99, it would certainly be more logical to have the Hotbird LNB as the prime focus, as you say, Astra is a stronger signal. Some of the newer monoblocs have a central fixing so the question is avoided, I seem to remember that the offset LNB will be slightly longer to account for the offset.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
With the exception of the Super Wide beams on Hotbird, the signals above sunny Bromley from both satellties is near identical as a result of the newer satellites in the two positions. A long time ago the Eutelsat craft were about 2dB weaker in the UK

I would believe more can be gained by twisting the monoblock or second LNB on the axis of the dish. Since Astra is slightly lower in the sky than 13 East, the LNB pointing to Astra should be higher on the arm for a proper focus and illumination of the dish, by about two to three millimetres

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
I am finding my setup really strange!. Ok i will explain

a) I aligned my disk with a single lnb to hotbird
:cool: Then I replaced the lnb with the monobloc'
c) I made sure that the lnb holder is grabing the left lnb(i.e when U are behind d dish with the lnb horn facing). now this strangley works to receive both sats.

cosidering that LHS = hotbird, i would have thought that the 2nd lnb should be on the further left of horbird not the RHS !

css_jay99

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That's how it should be, from behind the dish, the Hotbird LNB will be the Left hand one, I always lokk at them from behind the LNB, looking at the dish, mainly because that's normally where you are standing when fitting them.

css_jay99

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Bromley london
i have just noticed tonight that some of the channels are very blockey and then freeze while others are fine. I am almost sure that they worked fine this afternoon. Does this mean that i need to :
1) try and re-align the dish again.
signal strength from the receiver is showing 60% for Astra and 75% for hotbird)
2) twist the lnb in its holder
3) change someting within the receiver menu
(Echostar DSB-2200 VI)
4) or problem is the cable

cheers

css_jay99

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Adjusting the LNB skew could certainly improve signal quality, as given an unobstructed line of sight, those signal strengths should give uninterupted viewing in good weather. The design of these LNbs is such that if the skew is not right, the perfomance of the offset LNB will be much worse than the prime focus LNB and this may be your problem. Adjusting the Skew will lift the Astra half and possibly address the dish at a better angle.

I would also try tweaking the dish, I would have thought that you should get excellent strength and quality with your dish size.

If you can get a portable TV out to the dish, then before loosening any of the brackets, hold both sides of the dish and tip it fractionally in one direction, if the signal increases move it that way. Tighten up and do the same again and then in the vertical plain.

PS. There has also been some discussion as to whether the monobloc LNBs work well with dish sizes over 80cm, I've seen some pretty impressive trig workings explaining both sides of the argument, but am still undecided.