hotbird

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
hi guys trying to set motorised dish up someones told me the set it to hotbird is that right iam in exeter uk tryed this afternoon but give up after 2 hours going to get daughter to whatch the reciver as i move dish think thats easyer what do you think guys i have a technomate reciver :confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, you set up the dish on your nearest Due South satellite, I'm sure I've said that in another thread. In your case it would be 5W.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
den123 said:
hi guys trying to set motorised dish up someones told me the set it to hotbird is that right iam in exeter uk tryed this afternoon but give up after 2 hours going to get daughter to whatch the reciver as i move dish think thats easyer what do you think guys i have a technomate reciver :confused

and get yourself a satellite finder meter. This will make life a lot easier.
The adjustment can be done in 5-10 mins, certainly shouldn't take two hours:confused

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
is there a satelite finder thats:confused got the named satelites on when you lock on to them

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yes but they are quite expensive cheapest is around 200 pound

to align my dish i used a digisat pro meter which was 40 quid, has an lcd screen with a signal strength bar as it will give you something to look at then peak the signal so you can scan to see what satellite you aligned to on the receiver

its an excellent meter

anyway hotbird should be an easy find, well quite easy

how i setup my dish is i aligned on to hotbird as i think 1 west is just over a conifer tree and then moved the dish to each end of the arc i can get 30e-30west and see what the signal is like, tweak the dish if it is low

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Any swinging needle or satbeeper meter will do it, as you can always verify which satellite you are on with the receiver.

5W is an easy satellite to find, in fact if you have or can borrow an analogue receiver, it is a piece of cake.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The cheapest meters you can get cost only £5-£10. They just have a needle on and a gain control. Adequate for a one-off set-up. Maplin sell them for about a tenner. You can check what sat you're on with the receiver.

A virtually free method is to use a portable TV connected via a long aerial cable to the UHF output of the box. Place the TV in a position in the garden, so that you can easily see it whilst making adjustments to the dish elevation and motor azimuth.

wod said:
how i setup my dish is i aligned on to hotbird as i think 1 west is just over a conifer tree and then moved the dish to each end of the arc i can get 30e-30west and see what the signal is like, tweak the dish if it is low

Yeah did mine on Hotbird too, not out of choice though, my dish is too small to lock onto anything else closer to my due south.

Den123 has 1m odd dish so he should'nt have a problem with 5W.

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
hi guys spent another 2 hours up the ladder trying to set motorised dish up have found astra lol have give up to day any help guys please i have a technomate 1500 and a technomate motor and a think iss dish :-doh2

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
den123 said:
hi guys spent another 2 hours up the ladder trying to set motorised dish up have found astra lol have give up to day any help guys please i have a technomate 1500 and a technomate motor and a think iss dish :-doh2

According to your profile you have a a gibertini 104cm dish and a HUMAX receiver??

It would be beneficial to update your profile.

What size dish have you got?
Is your pole pefectly vertical?
Did you get a meter?
If not, are you using a portable TV that you can see from where you dish is?

Trying to adjust the dish blind is too difficult, as very small movements are required.

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
how do i update my profile thanks yes pole straight have got a meter

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
To change your profile, go to userCP at the top left of the forum. :)

If you can find Astra 19.2, then move the whole lot around to the West by 24 degrees and elevate the dish by about 3 degrees and then you should find 5W.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Den123,

If you still have problems setting up your dish/motor etc, It would be very helpful if you gave
us a clear step by step description including receiver settings of what you have done so far (in one post;)).

Things you need to have done include:-

Motor mounted on motor stub straight,

Set the Latitude or elevation on your motor,

Your Lat and Long set correctly in your Receiver,

Dish sent to 5W using USALS,

Adjusting the azimuth by swivelling the motor around pole,

Adjusting the elevation on the dish itself.

I have annotated a dish/motor photo below:-
View attachment 12014

Attachments

• motor2.GIF
    motor2.GIF
    92.8 KB · Views: 42

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
thanks guys for all your help this is the latest i have moved the dish have gone to the reciver and come out of usuals and gone in to disque 1.2 and fine tuned the the setting can i do it like this is it ok thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I would personally recommend sending the dish to zero, then forget that you have control of the motor until you have found your due South satellite, as people are tempted to try and find satellites by moving the motor.

The finding of your due South Satellite is a purely manual exercise, the receiver should not be involved, apart from looking at the signal readings for the required satellite.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
@Den123

Yes, but you won't get the full arc, if your dish settings are not right.

Using DiSEqC 1.2 is not necessary for your motor.

Using DiSEqC enables you to overcome mal-adjustment on the dish to
a certain extent, but will only work for the sats that are close to your reference.

But Hey, if you are happy with what sats you are getting, and the signal quality is good, you could leave it like that for a few days, and then try to re-adjust some time in the future when you get the hang of it more.

And Rolfw is right, it is tempting to use the receiver to make adjustments ( I did it on the day I got my motor), but
you will soon understand that it will not enable the full potential of your motorised setup up to be reached. (It's a bodge and it doesn't work properly), but at least you get a couple of sats to watch while you realise how to do it properly.

den123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ddcccccc
My Location
uk
ok thanks rolf will give it another go when its stopped pxssing down bluddy weather thanks mate just one thing how do i send it to zero

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There should be an option in the motor menu, it may read "send to reference point" or "send to zero". :)

Been a nice day here for the greater part, although it looked a little ominous this morning. :)