How about this for radical

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
I understand what you are saying Rolf, but plenty of people will turn on their tv set and leave it on all day, regardless of what they are watching and sometimes not even watch it at all, but have it on in the background for 'company'. Is this where the viewing figures come from??
I can't really see someone specifically paying for the likes of ukg*ld if it wasn't included in one package or another.

pixey

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've always been a bit sceptical about viewing figures, particularly the makeup of the viewing panels. The equipment used to monitor the viewing is quite sophisticated and I believe takes into account "wallpaper watching".

With regard to channels such as UK Gold, I know several people who watch it very regularly. I'm not sure whether they would subscribe if it had to be taken as a seperate option, but then again, that would probably apply to the majority of channels.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
You don't exactly say why you are sceptical about viewing figures Rolf but I certainly am too. How many people video programmes these days and watch them at a later date? I do it all the time so when the big networks 'go up against each other' with their so-called blockbuster programmes, most of us who want to see both, video one of them and watch the other. How do they measure that I wonder.

When you say the equipment used is quite sophisticated I always thought the measurement was taken by the strain on the national grid, after a programme, as people switched on their kettles. Obviously things have moved on LOL.

Jimbo

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They have a viewing panel, this consists of a number of homes nationwide where they have equipment installed which detects programme usage. Don't ask me how it works, but it monitors video use as well I believe (recording) and probably assumes that a recorded programme is eventually watched, but gets a lower rating etc etc.

madharry

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
and I bet that,s a extra, reason why a sky box has a built in modem.
and that,s a extra, reason why they like it to be kept, plugged in to the phone line !
bit of a free viewing survey.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
As far as I know Sky do not monitor viewing habits from the box, only box office events. By "They, I meant the TV viewing figures organisation who are independent.

As has been discussed in the past though, it would certainly be possible for them to use the box in that way and probably wouldn't require too much of a software change.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If its possible to do and its useful to keep tabs on, I bet Sky are using it.

In the same way that a list of TV license holders and a list of DTT box holders/BSKYB subscribers may not be used by the Home office, you can bet that the resultant list when Boolean Algebra is applied to the three provides some interesting reading, and justifies knocking on a few doors.