How big a dish do I need?

ajohansen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 m dish

Technisat skystar 2
My Location
London
I'm currently using a 1.2 m dish, and am able to pick up the major satellites (28.2E, 23.5E, 19.2E, 16E, 13E, 10E, 7E, 1W, 5W, 8W, 12.5W, etc) but not some of the ones in between (e.g. 3E, 9E) or ones at the far end of the spectrum (43.1W and further).

Does anyone know how I could most easily improve my set up so as to pick up these other satellites?

Also, what is the most economical way of achieving decryption of the various encrypted channels that I pick up? I need to get the European football channels. Do I have to buy a whole range of cards?

Thanks in advance for you help.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Very nice range.
I take it that you are using a motorized system.
Have you tried to pick up the missing satellites without the motor?
This would give you an indication about the system sensitivity.
Also, try to use a different LNB and better coaxial cable. Which one are you using now?
Buying cards won't help much, unless you have a CI adapter and a suitable CAM inside it for the package encryption.
For the sport, I think DigiALB is quite popular.
Please read this thread:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...ing-watch-premiership-season-2007-2008-a.html

Take a look at the PC cards section. You might find your answer there.

ajohansen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 m dish

Technisat skystar 2
My Location
London
Thanks very much for that info.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
what dish are you using ?

is it motorised on a polar mount, as i think you might need to fine tune the dish ?

a 1.2m should get you aswell 15w,18w, 22w, 24w, 27w, 30w , 43w, 45w and even 58west if you have a very clear view

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
wod said:
what dish are you using ?

is it motorised on a polar mount, as i think you might need to fine tune the dish ?

a 1.2m should get you aswell 15w,18w, 22w, 24w, 27w, 30w , 43w, 45w and even 58west if you have a very clear view

In London, most of the verticals and some horizontals from 7W as well.:)

There's not much football on there, but movies free to air.

ajohansen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 m dish

Technisat skystar 2
My Location
London
Yes it is motorised on a polar mount. Unfortunately, I don't know the details of the LNB and coaxial cable, because it was installed for me by someone else and I'm a bit of a novice in this area.

I bet on sport professionally, and I need to pick up as many of the sport feeds as I can. Eg. right now there's one on 43W (12734v, 19500) which I can't get.

I would be enormously grateful if someone could help me sort out this system so that I could pick up these extra feeds. In return, I would be happy to demonstrate exactly what I do to make money on sports betting.

Thanks.

baxter_norway

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD /Hdd/DVD/USB/WiFi
DM800HD /Hdd/USB
DM70000s /Hdd/USB
Nokia9311/Sattracker2.0N
Philips175d
120cm Andrews/CM W/ Jeaeger 1224el
90cm FIBO W/36v motor
70cm Nokia W/USALS
MII
Fun5
My Location
Norway
A Dreambox would help you a long way, because then at least you wont have to bother with a new ci module for each type of encryption. It wold also be smart if you opened for private messages(pm).

ajohansen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 m dish

Technisat skystar 2
My Location
London
Thanks Baxter.

Actually, I already have a Dreambox connected to another dish (this is a smaller non-motorised one with several LNBs (aimed at 16E, 19E and 28E) for my Skysports, Setanta, Eurosport etc).

Tried opening for private messages, but I kept getting error messages.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
ajohansen said:
Thanks Baxter.

Actually, I already have a Dreambox connected to another dish (this is a smaller non-motorised one with several LNBs (aimed at 16E, 19E and 28E) for my Skysports, Setanta, Eurosport etc).

Tried opening for private messages, but I kept getting error messages.

All new members need to post more threads and wait few weeks before PM can be activated. In the meantime try using Vcard.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
ajohansen said:
Yes it is motorised on a polar mount. Unfortunately, I don't know the details of the LNB and coaxial cable, because it was installed for me by someone else and I'm a bit of a novice in this area.

then i think the dish must not be setup correctly as you should get those satellites i mentioned earlier.

also do you have a clear view each side to get 42e to 58w ?

ajohansen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 m dish

Technisat skystar 2
My Location
London
Ah, that's interesting.

With the current set up, there's no way that I could receive anything beyond 42W (I can sometimes receive this with a VERY weak signal) because the motor doesn't turn any further. Similarly for anything beyond 33E.

How do I fine tune the dish??

(Apologies for my ignorance).