How can I get BBC1, BBC2, ETC in France?

MB01

Reaction score
Help me please! I have just moved to France and want to get BBC channels and english speaking channels and I do not have a clue where to start! I have a humax FI-VACI digital decoder, is there any way that I can re-programme my decoder to get these channels?, I tried setting the satellite dish to 28,2 degrees east, but nothing materialised. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any kind of help.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your receiver should be more than capable of receiving the channels on 28.2E, did you select 28.2 as your current satellite when you were searching for it?

MB01

Reaction score
Rolfw, thank you. I am new to all this despite the fact that I have had the decoder for so long. The decoder only gives me the preset selection of astra1 and hotbird. It also says that I can program up to 6 other satellites, but when I tried it came up with other channels, but nothing that I was looking for. When you say select 28.2 as my current satellite, where do I normally find that option on a "normal" menu?

Thanks again!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Never had a Humax, so not sure of the menu structure, but it may be under LNB setup.

loop-guru

Loop Dude
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master Jaeger 128 TM5000DAPCI DM7020 + loads of relics.
My Location
Kent
Hi mate, how far south are you? from what I can gather most people can get away with a 60cm dish for the weaker BBC channels in France although if you're on the Med then an 80cm is perhaps a better choice.

If you're not aligned to the correct satellite though, and it's critical, then you won't get a signal.

You may need to find that you have to add the BBC frequency to the Humax and then do a scan.

From memory on the humax it's something thing like

Menu

Installation

manual search

and then you can add the BBC Frequency which is:-

10773 H 22000 5/6

then try the search.. (like I say I'm going on memory, if you get stuck with tuning then say or remind me of the options and one of us will guide you through it)

if you leave the receiver on this screen without doing the search you do get a signal strength bar at the bottom of the page, this might help when it comes to aligning the dish, believe it or not I've been in the garden before with an extention lead TV and reciever trying to align my dish.. the neighbours think I'm nuts mind.. try and get yourself a cheapish sat finder if you can, saves a lot of messing about.

Remeber itv 4 and 5 are encrypted and are not available on your humax.

Hope that helps a little, despite being green with envy with you new move.. :)

I wish you many happy adventures and good furtune in your new home..

Loop.

ps have a look here for other frequencies..

www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html

MB01

Reaction score
Thank you Loop! I will try what you have suggested. Two further questions, if I may? Where can I get (buy) a cheap satelline finder (online?). What can I do to have itv, 4, 5 un-enscripted? So far we are enjoying our life here in France, but we have lots to do.

mb01

loop-guru

Loop Dude
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master Jaeger 128 TM5000DAPCI DM7020 + loads of relics.
My Location
Kent
You could try and buy one in France or I can reccomend sat-europa as a good UK dealer, (link at the top of the main page) and I'm sure he'll ship to france for you.

here you are:-
http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/overview.asp?catid=1&subcat=2&offset=45

they do a basic satfinder meter for 27.55 euros, not bad and may be enough to help you out.

as for the other question, I'm just going to check this forums rules (oops sorry not read them yet) our topic of conversation could well be close to breaking one of them..

Loop.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello MB

ITV, Ch4 and Five are encoded in Uncle Rupe's system, and to the best of my knowledge this has not been hacked.

This means that you would need a Sky Digibox, either with a subscription or with a FTV card.

Regards

W. Hole