How can I get UK tv in Spain

hootie

Reaction score
Hi, I hope I am using the right forum here.
I have heard that it is possible to pick up UK tv in Spain with a satelite and some kind of receiver by making only a one off payment for the receiver box. Does anyone know anything about this? Any info will be very much appreciated, am really missing my dose of uk soaps!
:)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
What channels do you want to watch?

The only free-to-air channels are the BBC ones on Astra 2D but they require a large dish. You could get an old cancelled Sky subscription card (eBay) that would allow you to see ITV, 4, 5 and BBC but that needs a Sky receiver.

Sky are about to launch a free view service in the UK (200 channels) with a card and receiver but that is for the UK and no firm date as yet.

All other Sky channels are only available by subscription in the UK or some arrangement with an overseas supplier.

If you find out otherwise please let me know.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
hootie said:
Hi, I hope I am using the right forum here.
I have heard that it is possible to pick up UK tv in Spain with a satelite and some kind of receiver by making only a one off payment for the receiver box. Does anyone know anything about this? Any info will be very much appreciated, am really missing my dose of uk soaps!
:)
Its called Sky Digital,....you must have heard of it.....its all the rage.......but if you are going to buy a satellite dont buy a russian one...you cant understand the instruction book............. :rolleyes:

hootie

Reaction score
Hi Gameboy - I want to watch BBC 1 and 2, ITV, Channel 5 and 5, just the normal channels - I'm not after movies or sport or 'classic' programmes. How big is a big dish?

Dishdoctor - does Sky Digital do the channels I mention above? Is there no monthly charge? An thanks for the advice on the Russian dishes ;)

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
hootie said:
Hi Gameboy - I want to watch BBC 1 and 2, ITV, Channel 5 and 5, just the normal channels - I'm not after movies or sport or 'classic' programmes. How big is a big dish?

Dishdoctor - does Sky Digital do the channels I mention above? Is there no monthly charge? An thanks for the advice on the Russian dishes ;)
Hootie-Have you lived in the uk in the last 5 years.....as you seem to like the uk soaps?....have you not heard of Sky Digital?....are you now in the uk or spain?......i though every british person in spain knows they can watch uk tv in spain.......all the answers you require can be found in these forums....look in the Sky Digital forums,or use the search facility...Sky Spain is a good start........but here goes.....you need a digibox if you ever want to watch itv,4 and 5. you need a 1.3 metre dish in the costa del sol,All BBC is free to watch on any digital receiver,not just a digibox, conected to a 1.3 dish if pointed in the right direction.But if you want to watch ITV,4,5 currently you need a ftv card at this time only available on Ebay and this card must be used in a Sky Digibox

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
dishdoctor said:
Hootie-Have you lived in the uk in the last 5 years.....as you seem to like the uk soaps?....have you not heard of Sky Digital?....are you now in the uk or spain?......i though every british person in spain knows they can watch uk tv in spain.......all the answers you require can be found in these forums....look in the Sky Digital forums,or use the search facility...Sky Spain is a good start........but here goes.....you need a digibox if you ever want to watch itv,4 and 5. you need a 1.3 metre dish in the costa del sol,All BBC is free to watch on any digital receiver,not just a digibox, conected to a 1.3 dish if pointed in the right direction.But if you want to watch ITV,4,5 currently you need a ftv card at this time only available on Ebay and this card must be used in a Sky Digibox
The reference to Russian applies only as you say you need a SATELLITE.....i think you mean a SATELLITE DISH..............

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
hootie said:
I want to watch BBC 1 and 2, ITV, Channel 5 and 5, just the normal channels - I'm not after movies or sport or 'classic' programmes. How big is a big dish?

To receive these channels you would have to get Sky and that does involve a monthly charge and is not technically available in Europe.

You will find suppliers of cancelled subscription cards (one off payment) that will get you the above with a Sky receiver and dish.

The BBC moved to Astra 2D to allow them to go free-to-air but that involved a smaller footprint (area covered by the signal). I have checked a map of that footprint and South Spain is between 1.5m and 2m dish size. Check your neighbours, some are bound to have it, check if they can get the BBC channels.

If a dealer tells you it can be done ask to see it first and check the dish size.

As you seem to be interested in the 'normal' channels it may be worth waiting to see what package they are offering on freeview.

The story is a one off payment and 200 channels.

hootie

Reaction score
Thanks for all you help Gameboy - I think I will hold on and see what the offer is!