How can I make the reception better?

D

dockerslund

I've got a 1,2 meter motorised channel master dish.
Using it mainly to receive 1W and 5E. 1W is fine, but 5E doesn't give the best result always. If it rains, I can't watch it.
Is there any way, that I can receive it better, without buying a new dish. The LNB is a 0,6 Manhattan MTI (which should be one of the best LNB's.
I read this on a homepage:
"It is possible to receive THOR 1 with a universal LNB, but to get the best reception for both Linear and Circular Polarities you can fit a ferotor .... like the SMW XF-45C. You will also need an LNB with a C120 connection. Contact your dealer for more information."
What's a ferotor? What's a C120 connection?

Hope someone can help me.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
From your location you should recieve thor easy.Ive got the same LNB
and no probs with THOR (but nowt 2 watch ON thor ANYWAY all in CONAX)The c120 i summise is a flange (ie no lnb cap)so as to attatch ferotor 2.
as to ferotor i had this in the menu of a old chapperel.it must b somthing like a poloriser ie sets horizontal/vertical channels far better than a UNI LNB.(BUT MY GUESS IS realign dish/check coax connections are they sealed with amalgamating tape,and is the coax any good (cheap shit or perished/trapped/crushed. before i go out and buy luxury items. DAVE.

D

dockerslund

Ok.
Thanx for the answer.
I've got no problems receiving Thor at all, but only some of the channels on Sirius are ok. And none of them are ok, if the weather is bad.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
I had same prob (does ticket get weaker at nite,tv3000 cinema 2,3,if
so its prob your dish alignment or coax,was the former with me.i thought original post said you couldn`t get thor (my fault)I Tweaked
Dish till got strongest signal (on reciever strength bar)with no affect to other SATS.i would definatly do that before buying xtras that may not work on your setup.
DAVE.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Dockerslund

A ferrotor is a flux dependent polarity switch, relying on the voltage acrossa coil wrapped around a piece of ferrite

It will allow you to tweak (or skew)the polarity of a signal better than a Universal LNB (which has fixed positions - unless you physically twist the unit in the clamp)

It has the disadvantage though of altering different frequencies at different skew amounts so you might have to set each channel or bouquet receuieved at a different level. Also there are very few receivers out there that are digital and can adjust the skew on a magnetic device so your options are limited

Best way to see if everything is running right is to buy a ten pound meter from Maplins or your friendly sat shop and go up the ladder