How can I receive Finnish TV in the UK?

COF

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital receiver, and Manhattan Plaza. 90CM Motorized system.
My Location
UK
I'd like to receive just the basic free channels in Finland such as YLE TV1, TV2, MTV3, etc. I know they're available on Thor, but unfortunately they're scrambled.

Is there anyway I could receive these channels for free, or perhaps a one off payment for a card, or is the only way I am going to be able to get these channels is to shell out for an expensive subscribtion to a Finnish satellite TV provider?

Has anyone got any suggests on this?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You'd need a Subscription to Canal Digital and possibly a bigger dish than the one you state in your Profile - dependant upon your location: "UK" is far too general when trying to interpret the K1 Nordic Footprint.

COF

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital receiver, and Manhattan Plaza. 90CM Motorized system.
My Location
UK
40 Euros just to receive basic Free to Air channels seems a bit steep to me. Even TV Finland, the international channel costs around 200 Euros a year for one channel.

All sounds like a racket to make money out of Finnish expats in Europe.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
These are public channels, so if you can find someone in Finland to supply with you a card, you only need to pay an annual card "fee" to have these channels on. I actually still have an old Canal Digital Finland card but I think it's dead now.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I have the Suomi package on Canal Digital which costs about 18 euro a month but I'm not sure if they still offer it to new subscribers (can't find it on the web site anymore). The channels are not officially available outside Finland so you need someone there to subscribe, assuming you still can.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
By the way, you can see many of the Finnish programmes via the on demand web sites like _http://areena.yle.fi/