How can I tell if I have got a Universal LNB?

eghamhigh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
Newbie here
I have been using an analogue system and have just bought an Echostar digital receiver DSB-808. I have connected it to the cable that the analogue receiver was using and did a satellite search - tons of TV and radio channels appeared in the list for Hotbird 13E (where the dish is pointing) does this mean that my LNB is a universal one? I am frightened of heights and not going on the roof to find out.

If it is - then I should be able to get a picture... originally I could not even get the Echostar menu but eventually found it on channel 41 on TV - the analogue PACE receiver uses channel 6. So how do I get the Hotbird channels?

I have an echostar manual but it is pretty hopeless.. so I will keep pressing
the buttons until someone helps me ...aaargh!

kungpo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
Good choice, I have an 8082ci as well, and I find it works pretty well

If you can, use a SCART cable to connect to your telly - the pictures will be much better, plus you don't need the TV tuned to a channel.

As far as what kind of LNB you have, it is most likely to be a universal. Set the option in the satellite menu option (where you specify the specific sat) and make sure it is set to universal. As far as actually telling whether it is or isn't actually a universal LNB, I think the answer is something to do with 22Khz switching from low to high band. However, if you do a channel search on hotbird, if your LNB is universal, you should get 816 channels.

If you can get yourself up the ladder, it is well worth investing in a monoblock LNB, as this will get you Astra 1 as well as Hotbird, which is pretty much my set up at home.

eghamhigh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
Would you happen to know anything about the CI slot? I can see that I will need to get at least one cause the rubbish that I can view FTA is not worth the bother. In fact the analogue FTA channels are better.

I want to watch French and Spanish films and current affairs. What CAM do I buy? Is there one that is more versatile than another? MATRIX, DRAGON these are just names to me.

I have acquired a HOTBIRD card whatever I can do with that... what CAM does that need?

Are you just finding out about this stuff?

kungpo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
Hi again,

I have a Matrix reloaded cam, which doesn't need a card to get a large majority of channels. As I understand it, the Dragon is largely similar in principle to the Matrix, but is newer. However, the Matrix does have a large following and seems to be fairly well supported.

With the matrix cam you can get TPS (French) which has some movie channels and multivision which has a resonable amount of footie, some recent movies, and late night xxx if you don't mind staying up after 11pm.

Not sure about Spanish stuff though. I get some italian and plenty of polish (polsat).