How do I best terminate coax into quadruplex socket?

bureaucrazy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
planning future installation of satellite TV
My Location
east of england
Hi,

I have not fitted these before hence my beginners question. I have 2 WF100 cables going to a TRIAX or Labgear Quadruplex wall outlets. Inside the socket there is a shielded box with a twin screw down cable clamp. Removing the clamp reveals 2 tiny holes for inserting the inner conductors of the 2 cables.

My question is, what is the best way to strip the coax cable and secure it into the outlet? I have tried:

1: leaving 7mm of inner conductor followed by 5mm of dielectric followed by about 7mm or braid but it is very hard to cut away the excess braid without damaging the dielectric.

2: Removing some of the outer insulation and folding the braid back over it as you would when fitting an F plug, then leaving about 5mm dielectric followed by 7mm core conductor. This seems easier to cut the cable this way plus the clamp seems to hold the cable better and the secured cable can be bent more. However this is different than what seems to be recommended in the instructions.

3. The triax outlet has a sticker on the back showing 6.5mm core conductor followed by 6.5mm braid covered dielectric without any dielectric protruding.

Is it really down to personal preference so long as the conductor goes in the hole and the braid somehow is in contact with the clamp? Or is there a correct method used by professionals?

Finally, I have one outlet which is fed by a piece of wf100 and half (one part seperated from the shotgun) a length of WF65 thin coax. What is the best way to terminate the 2 different diameter cables? I thought perhaps I could wrap pvc tape around the wf65 to build it up to the same thickness as the wf100?

Thanks

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Trying to remember what I did on my quads and tris and I think it was option 2. IIRC I tried it with the outer sheath removed and the clamp was too slack.

WF65 could be a problem as you need to get some of the braid to outside so as to have electrical continuity. I've not had the problem myself (didn't use WF65 ;)) but PVC tape tends to go a bit slimy and slips out of position after a while. If the clamp won't do up tight enough try a bit of outer insulation cut off from some WF100 over the WF65 to build up the O/D. Then pull some braid over the outside of that.