How do I compile stuff for the Dreambox?

gb2

Reaction score
I have some experience in Linux. (programming), and I'm planning to buy a dreambox soon.
I would like to "play" with it.. compile my own programs and run them in the Dreambox.

Can someone give me some directions?
like a Howto, or what tools I should use?

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
gb2 said:
I would like to "play" with it.. compile my own programs and run them in the Dreambox.
Like so many other Dreambox tasks this sounds easy at first, but can get quite complex :)

First you need to have a PC that is broadband connected or better.
The build will download a LOT of stuff from the internet as it goes.

Second you will need to get the source. This is covered in detail here http://cvs.tuxbox.org/.
Click on the installation instruction link and CHECK each of the prerequisites are installed and active on your box. This is crucial to getting a good build.
I use Mandrake 9.2, and a number of the utils were installed but not the default (e.g. automake).
Create a directory to receive the source (I use /data/tuxbox-cvs for the source and /data/dream for the output as there isn't enough space in my /home mount)
Then cd to your source directory and fetch the source:
cvs -danoncvs@cvs.tuxbox.org:/cvs/tuxbox -z3 co -r rel_1_0_0 .
don't miss that final '.' char at the end.
Once the source has downloaded (only takes a few mins) you cd into the cdk directory.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BUILD AS ROOT.
Run the following (substitute directory names as required):
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/data/dream --with-cvsdir=/data/tuxbox-cvs --with-targetruleset=flash --with-cpu=405 --disable-libcrypto --disable-flashmodutils --enable-maintainer-mode

and wait...
If TPTB have not fixed it yet there may be an enigma compilation failure in enigma_plugins.cpp - The patch for this is here http://cvs.tuxbox.org/lists/tuxbox-cvs-0406/msg00286.html.

If you get past all that lot, try searching on google, etc. for mkdreamboxfs. This will enable you to create an IMG file.

To get the latest "bleeding edge" stuff replace the rel_1_0_0 with HEAD and try that, but no promises that it will work!

Let me know if that helps!
I am looking at replacing the UI to make it look more like the S*YB*X one to keep the missus happy :)

gb2

Reaction score
thanks for the tip ! :)
I got the cvs and the next 2 steps without problems.
I just did "make all"... so I'm waiting... :)

btw, this stuff works with the Dreambox 7000 and 500, right?

I would like to build kernel module to support a Wireless USB adapter.
(sources for it are avaliable, and it compiles without problems on a gentoo linux (intel) system)

Is it possible to compile extra kernel modules for the dreambox?
or do they need some binary objects?

thanks!