How do I connect DB to the internet via 56k modem to download new image

Tore567

Reaction score
I've just bought a dreambox 7000s. I want to update the image. Everything in the user's manual says I need an ethernet card to do this. I presently have a 56k modem to access the internet - and from what I understand ethernet is more for LAN WAN working. Can anyone set me straight, and give me advice how I can down load new image software. Is it possible that this can be just done by connecting the dreambox to the pc through the serial socket RS232C Or is something else needed... I have a 4400 DELL pc

Meant to post this as a new thread. Sorry for posting twice..

No worries :) Deleted the other one. Lancelot.

pant

Reaction score
hei

Under Dreambox section in this forum it is a very helpfull guide for almost everything you need to know about your box.After you read it I am sure you ll have no problems doing what you asked.If you still have something you cannot understand then post back here.

For sure you ll need a null mode cable (for port connections) and a cross wired cable (for ethernet connections).

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi tore,

You can install a new image using the RS232 port on the Dreambox connected to the RS232 port on your PC using a NULL modem cable and the DreamUp 2.14b program on your PC.

BUT, now the bad news, you cannot add any emus (cams) or k*ys or other addons.

For that you need to use the ethernet port on the Dreambox and the ethernet port on your PC connected by a CROSSOVER ethernet cable. Yes you are right this is a LAN connection but it is the only way to fully use a Dreambox.

You will need internet connection sharing enabled on your PC (so that the Dreambox can share your PC's internet connection via the 56K modem) in order to use internet update directly to the DM7000S. Otherwise you will down load the emus etc to your PC from the internet and use an ftp program to transfer them via the ethernet connection to your Dreambox.

Also keep in mind that it will be best to set up a multiboot system on your 7000 with a standard image in the Dreambox internal flash memory and a number of other (Hydra, Gemini, DBF etc) images installed in a USB memory stick (128MB to 512M:cool: plugged into the DM7000S USB port and using FlashWizard 5.0 as the multiboot manager.

I think you should read some of the beginners tutorials on the stickys on this forum. You will then get the idea of what is involved in owning and making the most of a Dreambox. It may sound a lot when you first read it but taken step by step it's all straightforward, although we all bump into problems now and then.

So, go and read and then post back here, with any questions you have afterwards.

Lots of good people here to help you along if there's anything you don't understand.

73, good luck and happy dreaming.

Tore567

Reaction score
thank you for getting back to me so quickly. And it was great to read all the information.. I really feel presently stranded on a desert island sending out maydays for assistance, with trying to figure out everything about the DB. It's so great to have feedback!

td03-5, was I right in thinking I can connect the dreambox to the same modem as the pc to update image via the ethernet port on the receiver? And then sellect setup 6, expert setup 6, and software update 3, to download new software.. Do I first need to have a dialled up connection before sellecting software update this way? If the dreambox can download image this way, it would be great.. Please get back to me. Even a small success now would be tremendous.. Having up to date image installed. Present software version is 107.24.12.2003

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Tore

Welcome to Dreamland!

RTFM (I always wanted to do use that :D :D )

Anyway- the dreambox needs to be connected to the computer, and you need to be connected to the internet in order to download stuff from the internet.

What you need is to get an image, and then download the emus and keys.
I would suggest a simple image like the Gemini or the Hydra.

Remember: It all looks very very difficult at the beginning, but it is going to be ok! Just spend some time reading the guides and the posts on this forum regarding dreamboxes. The rest we will help you with.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Tore,

No, I'm sorry but it does not work as you expect.
To do an image installation you first have to download the image from the internet to your PC. The image file may (depending on where you get it from) be in a zip folder or it may be a direct img file. If it's in a zip folder you will need to un-zip it first. Just double click it if you have XP and then click 'Extract to' and follow the prompts.
Now you have an image file (Image_name.img) on your PC ready to install on the Dreambox. There are a number of ways to install the image but all but one rely on an ethernet connection between your PC and the Dreambox.

The only one that does not require the ethernet connection (and the one everybody uses when a severe software crash on the DB causes the ethernet port to fail to function) is DreamUp 2.14b.
With NULL modem cable, connect Dreambox RS232port and PC RS232 port.
Start DreamUp 2.14b on the PC. Ensure it is NOT set to use a LAN connection and select the correct PC port on the drop down.
Switch off (un-plug) electricty supply to Dreambox.
Click 'Connect' button on DreamUp 2.14b.
Switch on (plug in) the Dreambox.
When bottom panel shows the connection established, click the Flash button on DreamUp.
Browse to the folder where your 'Image_name.img' file is located and select it.
Image installation will then slowly (but safely) proceed.

When the installation is finished, reboot the Dreambox and do a 'flash erase' (while the box is booting hold in the Up & Down buttons on the front panel until the LCD display says 'flash erase').
Now enter your basic and satellite settings and away you go with a new FTA image.

You will always install images from your PC in one way or another, not directly from internet to Dreambox.
The things that can be downloaded directly to the Dreambox are emus, k*ys and plugins (other programs that will run on the Dreambox).

To use this method (and to do many other housekeeping jobs) you must establish an ethernet connection between your PC and the Dreambox.
I have broadband and the Dreambox is just another computer connected to my router. I can communicate from PC to Dreambox and the Dreambox can connect to the 'net.
With your dial-up modem you must first connect your PC ethernet port to your Dreambox ethernet port using a CROSSOVER ethernet patch lead (NOT a straight patch lead as I use to connect to the router).
You must setup the Communications panel in the Dreambox Expert Setup.
You must setup TCP/IP on your PC.
For the Dreambox to connect to the internet you will also need to setup 'internet connection sharing' on your PC.
Once this is working you will logon to the internet with your PC and the Dreambox will then use your PC as a sort of server via which it can access the internet.

This is all far too much for one post, sorry.

Please read the beginners sticky before asking any more questions.

73 & happy dreaming.

albaniasat

Reaction score
@td03-5

Execellent explanation. I am on dial up too, and I have installed everything manually, but now I really would like to try to update "something" through my dial up connection.
Question :

Is there any way
to update the emu that you are using from dreambox connected with internet (through dial up) ?

I have Sf image with newcamd installed on my dreambox and I want to keep newcamd always update and not change the image as it is working finem for me. I don't want to do anything from my computer apart of establishing an dial up connection.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi albaniasat,

Sorry but I don't think internet updates are available on SF images. It's a while since I used one so I could be wrong.

The latest 1.09 images with internet download/update are:
Hydra Phoenix
Gemini 106
DBF Revolutions 3.1
Trillenium v 1

Of the older 1.08 images:
Hydra Poseidon
Gemini 103 to Gemini 105

If the image has a suitable 'Downloads' option, then so long as your Dreambox is connected to your PC with a Crossover ethernet (LAN) patch lead, internet connection sharing is enabled and working on your PC and the PC is logged into the internet dial-up connection. Then the Dreambox should successfully connect to the internet and download whatever you have selected from within the menus of the image you are using.

Hope this helps?

73 & good luck.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
albaniasat said:
@td03-5

Execellent explanation. I am on dial up too, and I have installed everything manually, but now I really would like to try to update "something" through my dial up connection.
Question :

Is there any way
to update the emu that you are using from dreambox connected with internet (through dial up) ?

I have Sf image with newcamd installed on my dreambox and I want to keep newcamd always update and not change the image as it is working finem for me. I don't want to do anything from my computer apart of establishing an dial up connection.

Don't let them drag you into using the Hydra. I believe it is good that everyone tries different things. :D The SF image has a built in download for keys and EMUS as well, you find them in the "Addons from Alternative" or so. just look around in the plugins or expert setup.
In any case, I have used the SF for a long time and you can get the updates through the 56modem (same as I have)

One thing about the SF images: I think they are pretty good, their only problem is that they are made by someone from (Ithink) the chech republic. The problem is that it is difficult to get good support in English, and I am not sure we always have the up to date information. There were times when it took longer for the cam updates to arrive than with the German (Gemini) or Hydra....

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, I like to see people trying new and different things. At least you can then have a well-rounded opinion of your own.

Not having a pop at the Hydra users here, as I suspect that most of them have already been around this loop :D

STICK

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Sorry, 'THEM' is going QRT.