How do I mount a Windows share on DM500HD without the Expert Setup dialog?

Sam_G

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500 HD
Triax TDA88
My Location
Sweden
Hello!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the so called Expert Setup dialog is not available in Enigma 2. The thing is, I am trying to create a share in Windows that I can mount in DM over CIFS/SMB/SAMBA or whatever... so that I can record to the shared folder without a dedicated disk drive attached to the DM.

The most guides I have read on this subject are dating back to 2005 or 2009 at best, and they all suggest that I go to Menu, Setup, Expert Setup, Communication Setup, and then pick Mounts, select CIFS, etc. etc. But I don't have this bloody Expert Setup option! Why is it missing? Is it because it is Enigma 2 and not Enigma 1? And how do I do this task without it?

Some guides suggest adding the mounts through the web interface of DM, especially when mounting to a NAS instead of a PC. But my web interface doesn't have any option for this.

I have seen one guide that suggests using telnet to send following command:

Code:
[FONT=&amp]cd 
/
mkdir 
/hdd/movie
mount 
–t cifs –o username=[COLOR=red]namn[/COLOR],password=[COLOR=red]losenord[/COLOR] //[COLOR=green]192.168.1.10[/COLOR]/dreambox 
/hdd[/FONT]

Obviously I would have to change the user and password value to my own, and the IP of course.

Can I apply this command to my DM500HD?... I think the hdd and movie folders are already created, so I wouldn't need that part. Is this command permanent? Or do I have to send this command every time I wand to mount the Windows share to DM before I start recording?

I'm not really a novice with computers, but I am really a beginner when it comes to Dreambox and Linux.

Can someone please help me sort out this last part with mounting the share on DM?... :(

I have already connected the DM, and I can access it over FTP and the web interface. I have also made the share, activated file sharing in Windows and everything. I just can't figure out how to mount it... :confused

It is the original DM500HD with original Enigma2/software/firmware/whatever...

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I haven't done what you want to do for some years so this is from memory.. If the mount commands work from the telnet prompt then you'd probably need to save them as a shell script file and run these every time you reboot the Dreambox.

Another option may be to the use the Mount Manager in the webIF if you point it at your Dreambox?

A couple of old posts that may help:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/33653-some-help-on-mounting/

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/98908-dm500-mount/page__hl__%2Bmount+%2Bhard+%2Bdrive