how do i upgrade

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
a few months ago a friend gave me a spare pace digibox. it had never been used and was still in its box. before xmas i bought a solace card and im having problems trying to activate it. ive called the freeview people and they say the epg software is to old. ive tried several times to upgrade the box via the back up button. i get the usual message on screen but nothing happens.

can the box be upgraded any other way?

the free view people say the box wont activate the card untill the epg software is upgraded.

incidently i cant watch any channel, is that normal?

ps on saturday a sat engineer fitted a new lnb so the dish and cable are ok.

thanks everybody

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
doggy

Where are you situated? If you are within the normal area for the Astra 2 satellites then you should be able to update the software without any problem - and yes, this is the only way of doing it.

Which backup button are you using? It has to be the one on the digibox NOT the one on the remote control.

If you have really old software then no channels are available.

PaulR

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would also suggest that if the card has not yet been activated, you may have difficulty getting Sky to do it.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
im in glasgow. the sky freeview people seem very friendly and helpfull. yes im using the button on the front panel, i get the message saying its upgrading but it stays like that for hours. the software versoin is 2.1.1 something or other. the guy on the phone says it needs to be version 3.1 or 3.2. sky have sent a signal to the card but because the software is too old it wont activate the card.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well that's a major miracle in itself Doggy, as far as I knew they wern't activating old cards, interesting.

On the other side of things, if the unit will not update then it may all be academic. If you are not getting any channels, I would suggest that either the dish is out of alignment or the receiver is dodgy, you could try plugging it into your mates dish and see if it'll update there.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
the box should be ok it was still in its original packaging. the dish is ok because i just had a new lnb fitted on saturday. i suppose im might be f***d. is it possible to pick up second hand digiboxes?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it is possible to get a secondhand box, but I would still try your receiver on another dish first.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If you do a signal test (Services > 4 > 6) what do you get?

Also what transport stream reading does it give there?

If the signal quality is below 20-30% or fluctuating then that may stop the box updating, but in glasgow you should not have a signal that weak so it would suggest a problem with your equipment.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
thanks for the help from everybody. its working now, i cant understand it. i left it on upgrading over night and it seems to have worked.

thanks

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
im back again. its working well, a bit slow but it gets there. the thing is, i cant find ch4 ch 5 or stv. are they broadcast on 28 east? i bought the solace card so i could watch these channels. am i on the wrong sat?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ahh...

It sounds like the box is just getting the FTA channels.

Firstly, what colour is the card ou bought? If it's light blue then you've got the old type, now only useful for scraping ice off windscreens. The new type of card is darker blue and has a outline picture of a house in yellow.

Assuming it's the later card that you have and it hasn't been activated then I used to think that you were stuffed as this service has now been withdrawn but according to your earlier posting you seem to be able to get it activated.

Activation is an interactive process where you have have to give details of the boc the card is placed in. The box is then addressed over the air with a signal to activate the card. This activation process sometimes used to take up to 24 hours.

PaulR

It's just possible that the new free package anounced by $ly today might be useful to you as it will have to use the equivalent of the old FTV card. Perhaps they might be persuaded to provide just the card?

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
its all working now paul. it is the older card. i think i had a few problems.

firstly old software that took days to upgrade, because of the old software the card could not be activated. i think it wasnt showing ch4 ch5 stv because it hadnt been activated, but its working well now.

thanks everybody for all your help

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
But if it is the older card you cannot receive ch4 or 5.

empratis

Reaction score
plz send email for me and give me requared informationand also i need the software for upgreading my resiever.
my email:empratis@yahoo.com

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Come again???????

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, I think that Empratis is looking for the sky1 sftware, already deleted two other requests in this thread. :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
empratis said:
plz send email for me and give me requared informationand also i need the software for upgreading my resiever.
my email:empratis@yahoo.com
Please tell us what receiver you have. Also where you ar situated and what size satellite dish you are using.

PaulR