bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
darkbox rev2007 Reciever + old pace sky box
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Help I am completely confused here , trying to set up my multi lnb rig to my new dark box , basically I don't understand this install transponder no's instruction , when i look at the install sat menu , I see option to change satellite and polarity followed by transponder numbers the box starts at 0
looking at the lyngsat site I see various numbers depending on channel
can somebody please clarify .

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
On lyngsat, the transponders are listed on the left. Each transponder has a number (not important), but each transponder works at a certain frequency, symbol rate, FEC, and polarity.

Each transponder then usually carries a number of channels, which are picked off by the receiver using the programme IDs eg VPID & APID.

Normally when you get a receiver it normally has a list of satellites already in its memory, together with a separate transponder list for each satellite.

It is usual to just pick one of the satellites (the one the dish is pointed at) and perform a scan, it will then go through the transponders in its list one by one and find all the channels for you, and putthem in its channel list.

Sometimes some transponders are missing from a list and they have to be entered manually.

To enter manually you need to enter the frequency, the symbol rate (eg 27500), and the polarity (either H or V). The FEC (eg 2/3) on many receivers is automatically set by the receiver.

When using a multi LNB setup, a Diseqc switch is needed to switch between them. On the receiver this is done separately for each satelite that is being using by setting which switch position is to be used. For example 1 for 13E,2 for 19E, 3 for 28E.

Depnding on the sats you want, forget about the side LNBs and just concentrate on the central one, and get that right first. The other ones can be done after.

Robbo:)

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Thanks for clarifying, this morning I had hotbird on the centre lnb but somehow I have lost it , I now have a strong signal but no quality around where it was " tried slew adgustment " and now the only satellite i can identify is the sky astra 28e , weird how I can't find any other satelliter id's with the sky box's , iv'e tried 2 now , a pace and a panasonic , it takes for ever to do a scan of the likely sats with the dark box

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Which sats are you intending to have when it's all setup.?

Not sure what you mean by ages, but usually it will take a while to do a full scan (maybe 5-10 mins). I don't know if the darkbox has "blind scan", but if it has, don't use it at this time.

It is not necessary to do a full scan, just one transponder will do to get the dish lined up. Check on Lyngsat and pick one that has free to air channels on it.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem finding Hotbird,19.2E or 28E.

Once you think you have found any satellite, tighten the dish, do a quick transponder scan (check the channels with lyngsat), then work your way round to the one you wanted.

:)

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
have looked at a supplied satellite arc diagram and guessed which sats are in the area where the dish is pointing "4 sats" but it has take all afternoon to scan them for channels , what would cause poor signal quality , i have 60% strength but no quality where centre lnb is pointing at the moment

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
bwizz said:
i have 60% strength but no quality where centre lnb is pointing at the moment

Which tells you it is not pointing at a satellite at the moment.

I think you need to crawl before trying to run. Just concentrate on learning to use the receiver using one lnb to start with, familiarise yourself with all aspects of its use before trying to set up multiple lnb's or you will probably become very frustrated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I agree, set up the central LNB so that it finds what you require as the central focus, don't connect via DiseqC switch at this time, all you are doing at the moment is confusing yourself.

So say you have decided that Hotbird is your central satellite, pick hotbird in your receiver satellite menu and watch the signal bars as you adjust the dish, get a peak on both strength and quality, then nip up the bolts on the dish and do a single transponder search to verify.

Once you've found your central satellite, the others should be relatively plain sailing.

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
I have been using central lnb with no dieqc , trying to lock onto hotbird ,I have made some progress today, I have borrowed another ex sky box to monitor its meter , now on the roof I see 13E identity with 90% signal and 60% quality
but strangely the signal keeps disapearing , the dish is not moving and the short lenghths of cable+ends seem ok ,maybe the lnb is failing? it has been ok for some time though with 28e
Its a shame that the better satellite meters are so expensive as one would save a lot of time/
thanks all

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You don't need a top of the range sat meter, a little sat beeper will do the job of locating a satellite, you then check on the receiver and scan a transponder.

Not really sure why you are using the digibox for locating the satellite, would have thought that the other receiver would have been a better tool.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
bwizz said:
I have been using central lnb with no dieqc , trying to lock onto hotbird ,I have made some progress today, I have borrowed another ex sky box to monitor its meter , now on the roof I see 13E identity with 90% signal and 60% quality
but strangely the signal keeps disapearing , the dish is not moving and the short lenghths of cable+ends seem ok ,maybe the lnb is failing? it has been ok for some time though with 28e
Its a shame that the better satellite meters are so expensive as one would save a lot of time/
thanks all

Do you have a clear view of the satellite, you don't want any trees or other obstructions in the way at all.

And is already said, forget the Sky Digibox, it is designed for 28E, using it for anything else just complicates matters.

Using a standard receiver as a meter, and doing a quick single tranponder or scan or two is a perfectly adequate method of locating a satellite for the non-professional installer, especially so for the stronger satellites.

:)

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
I am using the sky box only as a meter /edentifier .it is much easier to get an idea which sat I am on quickly . there are no trees in the way so I will have to figure out by ellimination what is happening to the signal

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
I have changed lnb and now i get hotbird with good strength and quality ,not really sure if the lnb was dicky or a dicky cable end ,now I will try to get 28 e on one of the other lnb's , I will go motorised as soon as I see one s/h at reasonable cost . I have other issues with the dark box ,so I will start a seperate post as they are not relevant to original link. thanks for input

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Just an update to progress ,I now have hotbird on central lnb and 28e on other
I would like Astra 1c, as darkbox has some pre programmed freebies , I have been told Thor is a no go in Cornwall? also on the motorised front . I am having second thoughts as the only logical dish mount place facing South on my property ,is quite high up and likely to catch the wind "At the moment my dish has bracing wires to give it added stability. I might make a further supporting brace for the lnb mount
Any comments on my proposed final rig , mono bloc with hotbird,+1c on other single lnb , I have 2 channel diseqc , but it seems a 4 way is best?
Somebody may have asked "what am I trying to achieve" I like a few other "reading various posts" enjoy tinkering and mastering new technology
I will also have to change my original profile as equipment has changed

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, with a monoblock you would have no means of accessing the 19.2E part of it using a 2 way Diseqc, a 4 way Diseqc and a bit of trickery is needed.

To be honest, since you do not have a monoblock already, don't bother.

Just get a normal LNB and fix it next to the Hotbird one (To the left and slightly higher when looking at dish face). You still need a 4-way Diseqc though, but wiring is very simple.

Robbo:)