How do you fight Cockroaches

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Are you winning the war against cockroaches?
I know I am not, as I can't stand the smell of cockroach sprays and usually opt to conventional weapons instead of chemical warfare.
My favorite is to suck them with the Hoover late at night when it is dark, and they come out of their holes looking for food and water.
My second "gun" is the shoe squashing method and the paper smacking if they show themselves on cupboards doors.
Today I read about a trap made of empty Jam jar, put some coffee grind and water. They like the smell of coffee and when they climb into the jar, they are unable to come out and they drown in the water. Must give it a try tonight. I can smear the sides of the jar with some Vaseline to make it even more slippery for the little b******s .
Actually they have amazing sense of escape and speed. They run 10 mph/second when they sense my presence and they move in a direction that is always different from what I (or my shoe) would anticipate.:-rofl2

So, how do you fight cockroaches at home?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
First and most important is don't live in a flat or communal building. If you do you will never control them.

Second never leave any water anywhere; always make sure the bathroom is well aired and free of condensation. Same with the kitchen.

Last there are "traps" that aren't really traps. They contain food which is poisoned. After eating it the roach goes back to the nest and dies. The body is eaten by others killing them too. When I came to this house about 7 years ago there were roaches. It took a couple of months to put a dent in their numbers with this method and about 18 months to completely eradicate them. I haven't seen one in five years but still leave the traps down just in case.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I dare say some things are now banned, however when I lived there in the 70's we used to use couple of vesuvius firework type smoke bombs specially designed for the job. Carefully seal all gaps under doors and windows, let off the smokebombs seal up and don't re-enter for 24 hours. All it required was a good broom and you would be free from the roaches for months. I do not know what the constituent chemicals were however..... they worked

koof7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Joined to learn
My Location
Manchester
Whisky and sand

koof7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Joined to learn
My Location