How does the hex to dec convertor work?

Donzo Bonzo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax and Echostar receivers, Dragon, two dishes, one fixed 100cm dish pointing at Hotbird, and a 90cm motorised dish; plus a rubbish DVD recorder and cool DVD players, and lots of cables!! Oh, yeah, and a video recorder - best invention yet!!
I find it fascinating. I put in the hex, and hey presto it's done, converted to dec. Anyone know the secret behind this?

And can it be worked out on paper?????

Thanks, DB. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Donzo Bonzo said:
I find it fascinating. I put in the hex, and hey presto it's done, converted to dec. Anyone know the secret behind this?

And can it be worked out on paper?????

Thanks, DB. :)

No secrets just depends whether your brain can accept more than one counting system. e.g Binary (base 2) is 0 and 1 two numbers hence Binary, decimal is to the base 10....i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and hexadecimal is to the base 16. i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,a,b,c,d,e,f. Within most programming languages there are functions you can call (i.e. engines) to do all the donkey work for you. I do vaguely remember something from my learning days but I cannot put my hand directly on by notes. Needless to say most scientific calculators have this function embedded in the chip and there a large number of programs that can do this conversion avalable as freeware. If you do not believe me do a google search for hex to dec and see how many pages you get.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
In the early days of ICL mainframes, magnetic tapes were numbered in octal 1 -8 (no 9 or 10). We sometimes converted bianary to octal manually.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
jimbo said:
In the early days of ICL mainframes, magnetic tapes were numbered in octal 1 -8 (no 9 or 10). We sometimes converted bianary to octal manually.

And your still here to tell the tale ( We are glad jimbo )
Lol
I think my brain would be fried (more than it is)

:-hammer

Donzo Bonzo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax and Echostar receivers, Dragon, two dishes, one fixed 100cm dish pointing at Hotbird, and a 90cm motorised dish; plus a rubbish DVD recorder and cool DVD players, and lots of cables!! Oh, yeah, and a video recorder - best invention yet!!
Bloody hell, that all went way above my head!!! :)

Thanks, but I'll be sticking with the convertor. LOL.

Cheers, all the same. :)