How far from my PC?

kirilcho

Hey. I'll be using a SkyStar2 PCI DVB-S card for satellite TV reception but I am in doubt that my satellite dish is located somewhat far from my room (i'd say about 5-6 (7 at the most) meters. Do you reckon I'll have problems with that? And also, should I use RG58 coax cable from the dish to the card? Thanks in advance! :) Sorry for the lame q's..

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Seven metres would be fine, in fact quite close. :) RG58 cable is not good, it is 50 Ohm, you need a 75 Ohm double screened satellite cable, RG6 as a minimum spec, CT100 or similar is best.

kirilcho

Wow, that was quick ;)

I was wondering, how much would it cost me to get my dish motorised, together with the installation and if you could tell me roughly the price without installation? Cheers ;))

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You need a stand off bracket and DiseqC motor, you can probably get both for under £100. Most installers will charge around £100 for a DiseqC motor install, some more, some perhaps less.