How has your Dreambox irritated you the most?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You may be lucky enough to have a very well behaved Dreambox but for those who have "quirky" boxes, what has your DB done that has driven you up the wall?

I've used the timer-record facility several times in the past with no problems. So I happily set the timer to record Saturday Kitchen. Came to watch it last night and it had a "..turning to 30.0W.." messagebox in the middle of the screen for the duration of the recording. Sounds trite now but I was bloody annoyed last night.

Any other takers? ;)

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
The ethernet does me 'ead in.
I connect it to the lappy and it works great. Plug it into the router and it flashes a few times then stops. I've tried everything DHCP, manual IPs, booting both electrically and physically. Then it just starts again for no reason.
Also EPG not working for recording. Select EPG goto prog and set it to record. Check it is listed in the timer and all is ok, but then just doesn't record.
And also..... I'll stop now count to 10 and go for a lie down.

But eh? free mature content and footy, you wont hear me complaining

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I was annoyed at the beginning of my dreambox adventure wit the constant freezing. But this has been mostly erradicated.
The other thing that done my head in was the problems I had with the diseqc and motor moving. It always used to get stuck, not move etc. But also this has been much better ever since the Gemini images came out. As I have used them exclusively ever since I am pretty happy with it. Haven't changed image for ages, and I don't reboot the box for days and days...
The recording does work ok, if I want to record something with the timer I make sure I am on the correct sat. The only problem left is the quality of the recording, as I am running a 10m lan cable this surely does not help. But I am looking on changing the setup so that I will have an ultra short connection.
So all in all I am very 'appy.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
and why did they make the record button the same as the radio button on the 7020. See something on tele, rush to the remote, press record and the efin radio comes on.

but hey, you wont hear me complaining.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
At least you've got a record button! I had to change the xml file to use the mute button as a record button ;)

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
T_G said:
The only problem left is the quality of the recording, as I am running a 10m lan cable this surely does not help. But I am looking on changing the setup so that I will have an ultra short connection.
So all in all I am very 'appy.

The length of the cable does not matter as long as it is within the 90m stated in the standard. If you Lan speed is 100Mbit I would have expected your recording to be fine. I watch my dreambox using VLC on a 100Mbit lan and the picture is perfect, so I would have thought I could record ok onto the PC as well.

tallguy74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
db7020
3 LNB (ast1/ast2/hotb)
c+ NL
SDT Davinci
My Location
nl
No comnplaints actualy... Wouldn't want to miss my dreambox for anything anymore.

Regarding the network problems: I installed one at a friend as well , who had a Netgear router as well, and couldn't get a link at all (auto negotiation fails).
to solve it: Just bought a very simple and cheap 8 port switch , and connected the dreambox to that. works like a charm!

The drewambox just has some difficulties with certain ( a lot of) switches.
It seems that the cheapest switches work the best.

Regards,

Tallguy

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
After changing from Pi to Gemini my box is a dream:-doh!

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
PC: Windows 10
My Location
Hungary
This spring I actually bought a DM 5600 (or I thought so). But it turned out to be a 5620. First I couldn't get connection with my PC because I used a wrong LAN cable. But I didn't know that then so I called a dealer who told me that the company had sold dm5620 boxes with defected motherboard as dm5600. So I spent 3 months to set up a serial connection without success. I was sweating blood! Then I bought a crossover LAN cable and since then network has been working just fine!
My recent problem is that I can't set NFS. But I love this box!
Paul_HU

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
BonceChops said:
The length of the cable does not matter as long as it is within the 90m stated in the standard. If you Lan speed is 100Mbit I would have expected your recording to be fine. I watch my dreambox using VLC on a 100Mbit lan and the picture is perfect, so I would have thought I could record ok onto the PC as well.

Hey Chops, long time no see here!
Regarding the cable: My observation is that if I play an mpeg that was recorded with the PC card, then the picture is 100% ok, no problems. But playing stuff I recorded from the dreambox I get all sorts of small problems. I therefore think that it happens while recording.
But I might check it out with a better cable, and also a short one just to be sure...

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
T_G said:
But playing stuff I recorded from the dreambox I get all sorts of small problems.

What is the speed of your network? 10 or 100 Mbit. I think it is more likely to be a speed issue than a cable problem.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Paul_HU said:
My recent problem is that I can't set NFS. But I love this box!
Paul_HU

Hi,

I would be interested to know how you get on with this. I have Omni set up on a 5620 but it is a bit slow for multiboot. I wonder how SFU will fare with your 5620. Start a thread if you wish to discuss.

Regards, pcd.

csx25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Moteck Rotor, 1m Gibertini Antenna, 80cm Triax Humax LNB's on 13&19E. 2 Dreambox DM500s. Gemini Images. Compaq p4, 3.2ghz notebook. House on the Adriatic Coast, Croatia :)
My Location
Dalmatia, Croatia.
whatsthis said:
The ethernet does me 'ead in.
I connect it to the lappy and it works great. Plug it into the router and it flashes a few times then stops. I've tried everything DHCP, manual IPs, booting both electrically and physically. Then it just starts again for no reason.
Also EPG not working for recording. Select EPG goto prog and set it to record. Check it is listed in the timer and all is ok, but then just doesn't record.
And also..... I'll stop now count to 10 and go for a lie down.

But eh? free mature content and footy, you wont hear me complaining
hey mate. are you sure you are using the right cable??? To connect to the DB direct with a computer you use a "crossover" cable, whereas through a router you need a straight through cable. You should NOT be able to use the same cable for both things.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Yeh
As I said the router work great sometimes and keeps dropping out other times - I think I could have a faulty crossover cable as the ethernet works great everytime with the PCs straight cable.

Cheers anyway

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are several little things which can be a niggle on the DB and some of the software, but not enough to annoy me, so overall no real gripes. :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Perhaps the 7xxx series are more robust than a 500? Mine freezes when I try to record and the PC is off. And it sometimes freezes between channel changes (esp if I press the yellow button or I do it "too" quickly). Overall it's good but....

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
mhku said:
..... Overall it's good but....

;) Bet all of us have had our moneys worth out of the DB.

Still a bast*** at times :-Guill .... but very enjoyable.

Think you you probably would not get the same overall enjoyment if you are a basic channel watcher as opposed to it being a hobby thing.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW England
I find my 7000 just gets better with each new image that comes along. I can not touch it for days and it is still working perfectly without rebooting. Earlier images used to be a pain for lock ups etc. My dish is my main problem so I cant blame the Dreambox for that :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
For those that find the Dreambox 7xxx platform too stable to keep them interested, there is always the Nightmarebox 7xxx series, AKA the Sky Digibox :-doh!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Now I remember why I asked the question! Today, the obky way to change satellites (channels on other sats) is to select the channel, unplug the power cable and restart- hopefully it will be the selected channel rather than a black screen :( aye carumba!