how high are the risk of solar storms destroying satelites?

Turok

My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
one,questions,to this forum,often,i hear,in televsion,that solar storms,from the sun,are a high potenzial risk,for satelites,the magnetic shockwave,would be so strong,that,most,of the satelites,in the sky,would be destroyed,in a worst case scenario...

its,sounds like since fiction,now i want to find out,does ,this ever happens,in the last couple of years,
and,what,the satelite operator,can do,to protect it,against it?

sorry,i dont speak technical/physicaly english,so this in not my mainlanguage,i cant,not go into details,technicly and phsycaly,now looking forward,what the people on this board,mean about this:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
HOtbird 2 had to be switched off in March after it suffered an electrical discharge from solar plasma.

Insat 4A had a 30 minute outage in January due to "solar disturbance"

Italian military sat Sicral 1 went out of control last October

Lots of info about damaged sats:

http://www.sat-index.com/failures/

and its only a matter of time until we lose one of the European birds to solar activity - the next solar maximum due in about 3 years time has already been predicted to be much stroger then normal & has been predicted to be a potential sat killer.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Analoguesat said:
the next solar maximum due in about 3 years time has already been predicted to be much stroger then normal & has been predicted to be a potential sat killer.
So there's hope for Astra 2D then?

Turok

My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
,yeah.i hope,the next solar storm,will destroy ,all shoping channel,transponders,on astra d2,then,it would be better,i will never order something,on this kind of channels,coz everything is overpriced 40%

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Turok said:
,yeah.i hope,the next solar storm,will destroy ,all shoping channel,transponders,on astra d2,then,it would be better,i will never order something,on this kind of channels,coz everything is overpriced 40%
Boy would you be disappointed. No shopping channels on 2D - virtually all of them are on Eurobird 1 :-rofl2 :D

You would lose the BBC & ITV channels though :toke:

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
They learned so nowdays they usually turn it off and with a little bit of luck they will survive