How long should CAM take to initialize?

cabbagelad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Triax dish, Technomate TM5400 CI+ M2 USB Super +
My Location
London
Hi, I have just got a new system installed to get Slovak channels. I have a Technomate TM-5400 CI+ M2 USB Super+ box, initially the Skylink Irdeto card would not work in the smart card reader (invalid smart card error) so I tried with a Neotion Skylink ready Irdeto CAM (certified according to the Skylink website). The problem is that it just repeatedly flashes up "CAM initializing" and never gets further than this?

So far we have waited about an hour, but how long should it take to initialize?

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A CAM should initialise in seconds, if you have two slots, try in both and make sure it is the correct way up. Not all CAMs work in all receivers.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Does going into the receiver menu and cam menu then insert the cam do anything ?

The tm5400 has one cam slot I think so there's no way to test in another slot.

The message cam initialising still on screen, makes it sound like a faulty cam but it could be a dead slot in the receiver.

The cam is not a CI+ cam is it ?

As they won't work in standard receivers .

cabbagelad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
I have the chip facing upwards and to the back of he cam. The logo on the cam is facing upwards in the slot, I assume this is the right way round?

Th CAM is a CI+ but the receiver s CI+ also. Is here any way to test the CAM or the receiver without getting replacements?

cabbagelad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
UPDATE: So i just spoke to tech support at Technomate and he said that this CI+ CAM will not work in their boxes, apparently the CI+ written on the side of their boxes means a CI slot + a smart card reader (somewhat misleading!) not CI+ certified.

Anyway, he advised that I need to either get a nonpaired non-CI+ card from the satellite provider or find a box that is CI+ certified, so does anyone know of any boxes that are CI+ certified?

Thanks again for your help

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
cabbagelad said:
I have the chip facing upwards and to the back of the cam. The logo on the cam is facing upwards in the slot, I assume this is the right way round?

The CAM is a CI+ but the receiver s CI+ also. Is here any way to test the CAM or the receiver without getting replacements?

Not unless there is another cam slot to try on the receiver.

Ask your installer to come back and bring another receiver to try as this could be the problem as they fitted it to see if the cam does the same in that.

Then send the cam back for replacement etc.

cabbagelad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
UPDATE: I spoke to Technomate tech support this morning and they told me that this CI+ CAM won't work with their boxes. Apparently the CI+ on the Technomate box means that it has a CI slot plus a smart card reader slot and not that is CI+ certified (somewhat misleading!).

The guy advised me that I need to find a receiver that is CI+ certified, does anyone know any receivers that are CI+ certified?

Thanks again for your help

cabbagelad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Just to follow this up and finish the thread, a friend lent me a Fortec Star Passion+ receiver and the CAM and card worked immediately, so the problem was with the Technomate.

Thanks again for the help