How much do installers charge to fit motorized system??

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sounds like you're making some progress, Ash.

Be sure to keep us informed.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, INVERTO Silver Tech Universal Twin LNB 0.2, Technomate 80cm mesh dish
My Location
BRISTOL
Tivù said:
Sounds like you're making some progress, Ash.

Be sure to keep us informed.

Right, semi super success update..

picked up that frequency on 1w, bbc news world, subsequently a few other sats worked and locked like 13e, 19e amongst a few others(which is good for me today) but 28e did not lock in for SKY UK...whys this?

also, on sky italia for example, it says tuner failed on loads of channels but some other do work...wierd?

im happy right now though tbf...

will try and find SKY UK later or at another day.

please help me find that!

cheers

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Tuner failed can be moved channels or dead transponders.

If you have BBC World on that frequency, you are on Thor. Try other satellites further East, ie. 39e

Astra2 should be an easy catch assuming you have line of sight.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some of the dead channels will be the ones you scanned when the receiver thought it was on Thor.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
for example i have 60% quality on that bbc world news transponder on 1 West..If i try and improve that to a higher quality will there be a better chance of pciking up sky uk 28e?

cheeers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Without wishing to re-read the Thread, can you confirm you have line of sight to 28E?

If unsure, use Dishpointer.

Also, can we have some pics of the system as it is right now?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
28E is a stronger signal in the UK than 1W - just think of the size of the minidishes that $ly fit compared to what you're installing - so it will make absolutely no difference to your chances I'm afraid.

What is important is that you get the angles correct in setting up the motor and dish. You have to start at the beginning (aligning to 1W) and then progress from there to make sure that when the motor moves the dish it'll be pointing at the correct spot in the sky and not looking under, over or just to right or left of where it should be.

Setting up a steerable dish is absolutely NOT something that you take shortcuts with. B must follow A otherwise C will not be correct. This is why we have been emphasising following the instructions.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Hi, i have been following all instructions.

I can confirm I do have line of sight to 28 e for a fact.

I will post some new photos later.

Sorry for sounding thick , i just dont get why i cant get 28e right now? i have great signal on 1w, 19e, 13e for example but nothing on 28e...

going round the bend here!!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It's possible that the dish/motor/mount is leaning forward (or back) a little bit ............... that would mean you'd track the strong Satellites nearer the centre of the arc but would lose those further East or West.

Drive it to 30W and see if that comes in.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You could also try driving it what the receiver thinks is 28E and then try the "springing the dish" technique. This involves GENTLY pushing the LNB (on the end of the arm) up and then down slightly to see if you can get a signal in either temporary position. You can also go left and right a little bit to check that way as well.

If you had a spare, genuine, $ly Digibox (or other receiver from $ly) you could connect it to the cable in place of your USALS receiver once the dish is driven to 28E. $ly receivers are pre-programmed to sniff out 28E without having to do any scanning of frequencies. If you were to then go into the setup screen you would see the signal strength and quality meters and see how they respond. There's a bit of a delay after every movement of the LNB so you would have to wait to see the result. There's also a music background which is very useful as you can hear it without having to look away from the LNB.

Any chance of borrowing a Digibox? I used a Digibox and portable TV to set up satellite dishes for 28E for years.

malsat

Reaction score
Huevos said:
Don't use an L bracket it is not adjustable. Use T'n'K brackets. This is important, otherwise you will never get the mast plumb and tracking the satellite arc will be impossible.

Rubbish,
L brackets will do the job and are ajustable,I only use T n K's when need to clear gutter or see over apex.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
hi all

30w did not get signal.

i cant remember borrow a sly box at the mo.

think ill just have to plod about trying on my J'z in my own little world.

at the moment the sats getting signal are 4.8e, 7e, 9e, 10e, 13e and 19e...

So basically I should move the LNB a little round left or right to see if it picks up 28e? and up and down?

tempted to get a sat installer in to find all signals perfect....im losing patience with it....sorry guys...i really want to do it myself but its making me weak.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Do not move the LNB. It should have bben set to zero skew for 1W and not touched again.

As you don't get 30W either, your mount is leaning slightly forward or slightly back. It won't be by very much.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Tivù said:
Do not move the LNB. It should have bben set to zero skew for 1W and not touched again.

As you don't get 30W either, your mount is leaning slightly forward or slightly back. It won't be by very much.

thanks for your advice TIVU.

do you think i need to move the hole mount , for example unscrew the pole from the bracket a little and do it that way? if you did my drift.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
malsat said:
Rubbish,
L brackets will do the job and are ajustable,I only use T n K's when need to clear gutter or see over apex.

You are wrong. The pro's will tell you they use TK's and try to avoid L types for motor installs, mainly for the reasons given by Huevos.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
L brackets are used mainly for cheapness, I would presume.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
ash213 said:
do you think i need to move the hole mount , for example unscrew the pole from the bracket a little and do it that way? if you did my drift.

Sounds like your only tracking near the top of the arc. Check motor inclination and everything is level before you try for another alignment on 1West.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
ash213 said:
thanks for your advice TIVU.

Make sure your pole is level as that might be the issue.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
How did you set the elevation and inclination of the dish? Where did you get the information for what these should be set to from?

These are set by slackening off the bolts A and B in the accompanying illustration. You have to get the balance between A nd B right otherwise it'll only be right at the top (if that's where you have your reference satellite) and as the motor drives away left or right will point further and further away (up or down depending on which way it's been maladjusted) from the correct angle.

Attachments

• satellite dish inclination - motorised AB.jpg
    satellite dish inclination - motorised AB.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 32

malsat

Reaction score
satelliteman said:
You are wrong. The pro's will tell you they use TK's and try to avoid L types for motor installs, mainly for the reasons given by Huevos.

Can you tell me how many you have to do to be a pro ?