How much should a 180cm dish cost?

Alex2k

Reaction score
Hi,
I guess I've decided to get a 180cm dish with a 1224EL HH motor.

Simple question before I buy it (I'm gonna install it by myself)....how much should the only dish cost (no LNB, no motor)?

thanks

PS I was thinking about a prime focus Irte dish.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
About 5 ton mate (****in expensive) arnt they. I know a retailer doing a 1.5 for just over 2ton (Not too sure how much a 1.8 is as an improvement (per cost) But a few of the Mods here WILL.
DAVE.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Dont touch the 1.8m IRTE

Its a segmented six piece dish and has no real improvement inthe field over the 1.5 one piece unit

Better off with a solid design 1.8m Prodelin (comes with a polarmount) or Channel Master (does not have factory made motorising system)

Price should be in region of £400 tops

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
The 1224 Mount can be used with the channel master and prodelin offset dishes - but please ensure that you order the 1224 for offset dishes.

Why a 1.8 mtr and what would you like to recieve?

Cost of the 1224 mount is around 199.00 and the dish should be around 400-500.00 dependent upon where you buy it.

also try Precision dishes (UK)- they may have a demo unit and the cost is not so much more - for one of the best 1.8 mtr dishes around.

Regards

old Satellite

Alex2k

Reaction score
I live in italy so here it's easy to find irte dishes......yesterday I called IRte in Milan and they gave me the number of a reseller in Rome.

He asked me about E450 for a 1.8mt dish (about 285 pounds).

I thought it was a bit expencive but then I read your prices and I guess I'm getting it.

I've also asked the guy at datasat.de to ship me a 2 axis 1224..... his website seems down (any info) but I know he had these motor in stock so I dropped him an email.

It is really hard to find dishes here and now I've managed to find an Irte...shouldn't I like it I'll resell it. it comes in an easy to be shipped package.

Alex2k

Reaction score
Channel Hopper, I'll ask Prodelin if they have any reseller in Italy.
thnx

Alex2k

Reaction score
Should I get a prodelin or any other dish: since I already have (well, not yet but pretend I do) the HH motor....it would be enough to get a dish with a fixed mount, right?

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
The IRTE dish will provide good reception on most satellites

Alex,

what are your requirements which channels would you like to watch at your location to justify the 1.8 mtr ?

Channel hopper identifies the Prodelin or channel master dishes as they have generally higher performance along with the Precision that I also identified.

The Irte may be fine for you - it just depends upon what you would like to watch?

Most dishes can normally be purchased with out a mount - dish face is its description normally in many adverts.

The 1224 mount should work with most of the 1.8 mtr dishes just be certian that when you order the mount you order it with the offset or prime focus option- or otherwish there is some work to do.

Just one other option is that there is a I believe a Patriot dish seller in Italy - and this is a commerical dish of very high quality and at a good price.

Please provide some further info on the channels you would like

regards

old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dear Alex

Yes, a fixed dish will function on the mount as you have all the moving parts on the motor.

You need to have a suitable backing ring to connect the two though, most manufacturers do not recognise another make of motor, so it may be that you have to use the services of a local ironmongers/metalworking company

When connecting an offset dish the backing ring can simply be a flat plate of steel with some holes and bolts. On a prime focus dish the ring has to be spaced off the dish as its a convex surface.

Fixed 1.8m dish from Prodelin is the 1183, Channel Master is the 184 series

Alex2k

Reaction score
ok, so now I'm wating for datasat.de to reply for the motor. He said thet it coms with several adapting plates (prime focus online, though). Besides I read at an italian website that it's compatible with Irte dishes.....dunno about Prodelin dishes. At worst I'll make a welder make something to adopt it.
I've emailed to Prodelin and they promptly replied. They said my request has been forwarded to the german representative. He should contact me soon. Now if they reply and the price isn't outrageous I'm getting it. I'm afraid it's gonna be expencive because of shipping.
Should it be too expencive I'll order the Irte on Jan 7th (that's when Irte in Milan opens...closed atm).

What I want to receive? Well, up until a few weeks ago I had a 3mt KTI mesh dish. I had to uninstall it though. It looks like the wall it's been anchored to for months isn't that solid. I mean....it's possible that it would have never collapsed but that wall isn't mine. That measn that I now have a 9cm pole which is quite solid. considering a 180cm dish is a lot lighter than that 80kg Kti I shouldn't have any problem.
I'm getting a 180cm cuz at least in Ku band (the 3mt was meshed and didn't have so astonishing performance in Ku band)I wanna have the same performance (or maybe less but still not that far from it). I'm not asking for anything as for C band....maybe just those very very strong beams.
Anyway, I don't have really big ambitions.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You will be surprised at how heavy an offset plastic dish can be - it might well be 80 kgs with the motor

The gain of a 1.8 solid performer is quite something compared to a mesh dish, you might be pleasantly surprised

Alex2k

Reaction score
actually the Irte it quite light: 21.5kg + the HH motor (22kg) + 1.4kg for the corotor=45kg which is much less than like 90kg of the 3mt KTi.

I'm glad that I might be pleasantly surprised :D

also, if the other dishes are as heavy as you say, I really think I'm getting an Irte (maybe the alluminum petals make it lighter?).

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
I can confirm that a high quality 1.8 -2.0 mtr will generally provide good results on c band the primary exceptions will be on the global c band beams.

Please note that while the IRTE is light this is also equally a problem when the dish is subjected to windy conditions, along with the petal construction, this often results in some flexing of the dish surface this reduces the effective gain of the dish.

This is one of the primary reasons for the reccomedations you have seen earlier.

The ku band performace can be improved by removing the 90 degree Elbow and fitting the lnb directly at 90 degree to the corotor (out of the side) the gain achieved is around 2.0-3.0 db this is a direct result of reducing the path of the signal to the lnb 12 ghz signals do not like to be bent 90 degrees! the additional area of the lnb is very small with most newer lnb's and the gain / versus loss of recieving area of the dish masked by the lnb is very small.

you can also fit the ADI corotor whcih has an additional gain in both c and ku of around 1.0 db as a result of the cast in dielectric plate.

It is quite possible to achieve simlar performace to the KTI in KU band with a high quality solid 1.8 , the c band will be weaker however.

Regards

Old satellite

Alex2k

Reaction score
I had never heard about removing the 90 degrees elbow but that sounds as a good idea! I've never put together a corotor as I bought mine used.

anyway, I got a california amplifier .7b Ku band lnb....is it any good?

should I simply take off the elbow and put there the LNB? how should I secure it to the new place? and also, isn't there a probe in the elbow?

anyway, I've always kept the whole LNBs part of the corotor in the plastic tube by kti....I should remove it in orther to install the ku lnb as you say :(.....but I can always give it a try ;)

Also, thanks for telling me that a 1.8mt dish will give me good results in C band...I really didn't even hope that :)

thanks

PS exactly I have the following corotor: Chaparral, corotor II Plus Wideband.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Its fine to remove the elbow (no probe, just a waveguide) but since the bolts holding it together are soft material with a funny secure locking head , plus painted with the rest, you may have trouble removing them on a second hand unit which has seen action.

Additionally you will have to drill out the holes to remove the threads, ready for the LNB bolts

Cal Amp are always good, however they have discontinued the older full band version, so what you have is probably the last of the line, dont drop it.

The Corotor is probably the most lossy part of the system and if you do get an offset dish, be aware that the feed horn end will be sticking upwards (unless you install the dish upside down), and will let in water

I would seriously look at fitting the Ku LNB on its own high efficiency feed (the one designed to work with the final dish choice) and stick the C band LNB to one side of the Ku feed

Alex2k

Reaction score
I've received the nice 1224EL with two axis. The dish is on its way (Irte). I paid E234 for the motor and E443 for the dish (shipped).

The motor looks pretty solid and well made.

I'll let you know :p

boron

Reaction score
My Location
NE Scotland
Old Satellite said:
The 1224 Mount can be used with the channel master and prodelin offset dishes - but please ensure that you order the 1224 for offset dishes.

Why a 1.8 mtr and what would you like to recieve?

Cost of the 1224 mount is around 199.00 and the dish should be around 400-500.00 dependent upon where you buy it.

also try Precision dishes (UK)- they may have a demo unit and the cost is not so much more - for one of the best 1.8 mtr dishes around.

Regards

old Satellite
Jaeger 1224 motor (including VAT and delivery) £149.75 www.satcure.co.uk