Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Lille almost walked off the pitch when the ref allow United's goal from set piece free kick taken without a whistle....is that right or wrong?... debate

eminem19752

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technosat 9800 Omega e Fte 420 sm
My Location
Cabo Verde
I'm just amazed how Manchester would go that low to win a match.

All that rubish about Ronaldo being a cheat and so on, and they do something like that!

Shame on you Manchester.

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
The referee walked away (allowing a quick free kick) when the ball was in Rooney's hands, if at that instance the ball was deemed to be in play then it should have been a free kick to Lille for hand ball.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In the words of Mr Wenger, "I didn't see it", but it won't be the first time the referee has allowed a quick free kick to be taken and most teams would try and get away with it.

eminem19752

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cabo Verde
Low Profile said:
The referee walked away (allowing a quick free kick) when the ball was in Rooney's hands, if at that instance the ball was deemed to be in play then it should have been a free kick to Lille for hand ball.

I'm just glad it wasn't ronaldo that did what rooney and Giggs did, otherwise, don't know what they would to to him.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
eminem19752 said:
I'm just amazed how Manchester would go that low to win a match.

All that rubish about Ronaldo being a cheat and so on, and they do something like that!

Shame on you Manchester.

Do you know the Laws of the Game? If you did, you'd be aware that Giggs was well within his rights to take the free-kick, even moreso because the Lille defenders were not 10 yards.

However, the ref was wrong to disallow Odemwinge's goal - how, when the pundits even in slow-mo couldn't see the foul, could the ref see the non-existent push in real time? As a United fan, I have to hold my hands up and say on balance that it was a 1-1 draw, we got lucky tonight.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure about the disallowed goal, it did look like the defender was pushed down by the attacker, but only got a quick look at it and din't see the replays.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Whilst I cannot and do not disagree with anything posted so far if the Lille coach still has a job by the return match I will be very surprised, the repercussions will resound throughout football for the rest of the season (IMHO). Odd that nobody has mentioned this, to see a coach grab the ball and usher his team off the field like that, well he's just joined the dole queue I suspect. It is one of the most unsportmanlike gestures I have ever seen, his playing team were truly embarrassed by the whole affair and I am glad for the players that they refused to go off.

eminem19752

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cabo Verde
Topper said:
Whilst I cannot and do not disagree with anything posted so far if the Lille coach still has a job by the return match I will be very surprised, the repercussions will resound throughout football for the rest of the season (IMHO). Odd that nobody has mentioned this, to see a coach grab the ball and usher his team off the field like that, well he's just joined the dole queue I suspect. It is one of the most unsportmanlike gestures I have ever seen, his playing team were truly embarrassed by the whole affair and I am glad for the players that they refused to go off.

Teahm that was shamefull offcourse, but i say they acted as revolt, but gladely they reconcidered.

Anyway, my only point is that if manchester were my team, i would not be proud of that gole, and if by any chance Giggs had missed it, or if the ball had gone against the Lille defenders. i'm prett sure the ref would make him repeat the free kick.

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorized. Diablo 2.3 lite cam with cas3 interface.
My Location
Lancashire
Whats done is done. These debates and grey areas are what makes football such a great game. All said and done, the refs decsision is final. Before you read on I am a Blackpool fan not MUFC.

In my opinion....Giggs or any free kick taker has the right to take a quick free kick unless the ref says otherwise and paces out the 10 yards for the wall. Goal shouldn't even be a talking point.
As for the 1/2 hearted walk off, what a joke!! Im sure Lille fans would have much rather seen their Manager encouraging the team to roll up their sleeves, grit their teeth and try and pull it back.
More interestingly was the possiblity of another Hillsbrough at the start of the 1st 1/2 and the way the snail crunchers police reacted, what was their chain of thought??

Fans shouting and climbing railings because they were in danger......
Check nationality of fans...........
Fans are English..................
English fans = trouble.................
Draw battons and strike anything that comes through or over the railings.....
Ready the tear gas..............
Deploy tear gas......................
Problem solved!!!

Discusting sight.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I watched that in a little more detail this morning and it had a potential for a very nasty crush situation.

The police/officials were shepherding any English fan into this one section, regardless of whether their tickets were for there or not. I wonder what the French Health and safety will have to say about that, as they take a very dim view of overcrowding in stadia.

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorized. Diablo 2.3 lite cam with cas3 interface.
My Location
Lancashire
Sad to say it but its the old attitude if its not broken then dont fix it and its only when a tragedy occurs that they stop and think.
Very similar to all the fences going after hillsbrough.
Some countries are 10 years behind us in learning from mistakes, it will take another very sad day until they learn this lesson.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Feyenoord's defence in their case about their crowd trouble in the away game with Nancy that the French police packed the Dutch fans in and then proceeded to wind them up as Feyenoord were losing? Not quite the same thing granted, but nonetheless it appears to be a trend that they are trying to pack away fans in.

One should also remember that terracing is against UEFA rules, yet United fans (through being packed in) and Lille fans (no excuse) were standing? In Germany, they have to bring in seating just to satifiy this rule (Bundesliga allows controlled terracing which is very safe), yet the French don't seem to care less.

I fear, though, that because Platini is the new man in charge French clubs will be given unfair protection - this is the reason why Platini wants to reduce Spain, England, and Italy to 3 places in the CL... to make it easier for French clubs to win.