How to check LNBs/dish/cabling from indoors?

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo; 2 dishes; Astra1+2 and Hotbird, Hispasat; external DiSEqC switch.
My Location
Midlands, UK
Hello Tivu and Rolf,

I don't have any devices which could interfere, but the site of the dishes is adjacent to other residents' flats. I'm in a 2 storey block, where the two storeys are ground and first floor. I'm on the ground floor. My dishes are on poles essentially attached to a first floor flat's wall. The single coax run then travels around the outside of the block for about, I would guess, 30 feet, before it gets to me.

Presumably my signal can attract interference either from that first floor flat, or during the coax run?
I probably can't do anything about that flat's activities, but could a poor/standard quality coax open me up to problems? I assume the coax used currently is not high quality, but I am just guessing. The installer may possibly remember details such as this, if I asked him, but I doubt he (still) has a specific record of the items he installed, any more than I do.

Can a partly obtrusive tree become problematic at certain frequencies if the leaves are wet ?? Nobody here has suggested this, but I'm just wondering. I don't think I do have such a tree in the path, but if I actually got myself up to dish level it's loosely possible I would find that the tree in the front garden is partly in the way.

I can't take a close-up photo of the dishes or LNBs because they are at roof level, out of my grasp.

This is why I'm grateful for and am pursuing some kind of debugging here; I only want to get the installer out if I'm pretty confident something needs correcting. I've left it far too long since installation to try and get a correction for free, so you can appreciate I don't want to pay him needlessly.
It certainly sounds though, that my Hispasat alignment is not correct. I suspect it never was, but I left it because there are not any specific channels I _want_ to see and cannot.

Lee