how to flash a new image to DB 7000

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
fad said:
I like the idea of putting the images on USB (already have one). Then leaving the hdd just for PVR.

Another advantage is that the HDD doesn't have to spin up all the time just to access the image.

fad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000-S B04500, 252MHz. DaVinci 109.1d Image 160GB, 64MB USB multiboot
My Location
East Anglia
Folks,

Your assistance again please?

I have a 3m null modem cable which I can get to work with direct connection between two windows PCs (one is 98,the other 2000). So I think this is the right cable.

I'm using dreamup 2.14b and have connected both a crossed patch cable and the null modem cable. After I press "connect" on dream up, I get the "power up now". However, fc*& all happens after that on dreamup, nothing at all.

I CAN telnet from the pc to the dreambox (crossed patch cable between the two PCs)

Questions:
1) Is the version I'm using for dream up good for dm7000 multi-boot? I've also tried
the 1.028 from dream-multimedia, same problem.
2) Does the cable sound OK as I can do direct connection between 2 PCs
->>>> The How to by Klona says to use a 1m or at most 2m cable, could the 3m be
the problem????
3) If I just jfdi with flash wizard pro and it goes wrong, can I reset the box somehow
or will I need to get the null modem cable working anyway? (in which case,
I'd best get this working anyway :-) )
4) Before I buy a smaller cable, I'm going to cut this one to size and solder the
connections, is this likely to introduce too large attentuation/loss anyway?

Bol*&** :-)

Cheers for any advice folks.

fad

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
2) I use a 10m extended cable, no problem.

Only connect null modem, no ethernet. In dreamup, untick 'use network' and try. Regards.

fad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
PCD said:
2) I use a 10m extended cable, no problem.

Only connect null modem, no ethernet. In dreamup, untick 'use network' and try. Regards.

ok,thanks. must be some other problem then. How can i check the serial port on the dreambox is working OK? Is there some setting or other required on it for it to work?

Also, does direct connection need to be enabled on the pc somehow (guest/host)? (I'm on win2k).

icon9.gif

thanks,

fad

fad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
fad said:
ok,thanks. must be some other problem then. How can i check the serial port on the dreambox is working OK? Is there some setting or other required on it for it to work?

Also, does direct connection need to be enabled on the pc somehow (guest/host)? (I'm on win2k).

icon9.gif

thanks,

fad

OK, folks. Got it working. Summary below. In direct response to my own questions :-), if you want to check that the comms ports are working, you can try hyperterminal on the PC with settings (115200, n, 8, 1, no Flowcontrol).

Thanks also to DieMade at DMM forum, see: http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/thread.php?sid=&postid=84165#post84165.

The problem?? No idea.

However, these are the things that it could have been:

1) Cable was too long. I reduced the original 3m to ~1m. (unlikely)

2) PC COM port had problems. I never actually needed to use hyperterm to check it out on the dreambox but rather got both hyperterm and direct cable connection working between two pcs (one win98 and the other 2000) first then it worked 1st time on dreambox with the smaller cable.

I was ready to use the win98 PC as I could connect from the win98 to the win2k one with direct cable but not the other way round. Hyperterm worked both ways.

The PC I had problems with connecting to the dreambox was the win2k one, BTW.

For some reason when trying to direct cable connect to the win98 pc the uid/pin doesn't work even though I've set it to "no password" (but there was handshaking going on)

Now for slapping a new image on :-). Used FlashWizard Pro for main image (sf 109) and it worked 1st time, like a dream, top program, muchas gracias
icon14.gif

BTW, I tried several different combinations of dreamup software version and network ip addresses but none seemed to work with the LAN. So it looks like I'll have to stick to using it without the network.

Cheers.

fad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
Folks,

After getting the whole thing loaded and working inc TV Cabo I found that my DB wouldn't move to Astra 28.2. BU&*ER. I originally had the final version of 109. This is what I did to fix my problems.

Loading the Image(s) on
================
1) I already had a suitable dreamup .img file backed up in case I needed it, which I didn't. I originally loaded 109 (final) on using dreamup, I recommend 2.14b which allows you to do a back up.

2) From then on I used flashwizard pro 5, now that I know it works damn well, NO ISSUES found. One thing to note is that you need to install its multiboot program into flash, just press the "multi boot install" button and follow steps.

3) Installed Release beta_1.09 04/02/2005 6.1MB from h**p://w*w.dreambox4u.com/dm7000.php

4) Had a play with it and at some stage went into "Satellite Configuration" and pressed the "new" button a couple of times which automatically added Eurobird 28.5 for me (?) Dunno why, but after this it seemed to give me a clear set of settings whereby the transponder entries for Astra were full and no longer did I have a problem with the "blank" drop down menu in the satfind menu option: If the drop down is empty, the motor WILL NOT rotate to that satellite, in this case 28.2, whatever you do.

=>>> I got all the satellites I was interested in on the flash image, 30w, 28.2e, 13e.

I suggest you now leave this image alone, as it's in flash, low disk space etc...

5) Using flash wizard pro, I installed Davinci4 from dreambox4u dated 13/07/2005 into USB (you may have to format USB 1st if you haven't done already). This saves disk wear and noise.

=>>> Since I knew my flash image was working OK, I left the "smartsettings copy from active image" ticked. You can decide whether you want this new installed image to be the default or not.

****** IMPORTANT *****
Good configuration management practice: make sure that the image you are trying to install is based on the same version of image you have in flash or you're going to get problem. I know, I did
icon11.gif
several times.

So if DaVinci says its 109.1d, guess what DMM firmware (or equivalent) you need to have in flash?
icon12.gif
(TIP: NOT 109 Final)

If you think your flash image may not be pucka, untick the smarsettings and start afresh.

6) I now played with the bouquets and settings, see section below

7) Installed newcamd 6.01 using the blue button etc...

8) Back up the image, hope I don't need to use it
icon10.gif

Installing Channel Lists and Bouquets.
============================
1) I found the latest set of *ALL* satellites and channels- one of the good things to come out of it: h**p://w*w.satellitesettings.net/; This is fantastic, it includes a load of useful bouquets and if you register they will tell you when new updates arrive.

2) I created a few sub-lists from the above for my needs, e.g. one for TV Cabo, One for Astra 28.2, one for all the BBC channels inc BBCi etc...

3) Download the current settings from the image you are playing with (needs to be the one in active use) using either dreamboxedit or flashwizard pro 5 or both.
===>>> Save this to the working directory and make copy to a backup area. Also check to see if you have any errors reported. I don't know how to fix any errors you might get, but 0 errors==good news.

4) Now you can compare this active current settings (tools->compare with services on disk on dreamboxedit) with your downloaded list in 1) above or 2)to the sub-lists you have created, one at a time. If you're feeling brave, go straight for 1). Now that I have it working, I might try that but there are LOADS of entries.

5) Dreamboxedit will treat your new lists as newer than the settings from the image, so you can look at the results that the compare gives you and select/de-select any others and then choose to update the current active set.

6) Now: This could have been what was giving some problems with the "blank" drop-down menu... I used the options tools->update satellites.xml and tools->clear satellites.xml to cleanse it after the merging just done with the compare command.

*** Can anyone confirm what these options really do, I assume it cleanses satellites.xml ready for transferring back. I was getting all sorts of problems before although it has to be said I changed the flash mage to an earlier version because that's what the DaVinci was based on ****

7) FTP it back to the DB using dreambox edit. I left the "remove unused bouquets from the DB" unticked for fear of things getting screwed up.

And Voi la!!! Works for me, hope it works for you. Now to play with getting big brother channel set up

Muchas gracias to John_Graydon in particular. Also to T_G, Costas et al.
icon14.gif

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
fad said:
Folks,

After getting the whole thing loaded and working inc TV Cabo I found that my DB wouldn't move to Astra 28.2. BU&*ER. I originally had the final version of 109. This is what I did to fix my problems.

Loading the Image(s) on
================
1) I already had a suitable dreamup .img file backed up in case I needed it, which I didn't. I originally loaded 109 (final) on using dreamup, I recommend 2.14b which allows you to do a back up.

2) From then on I used flashwizard pro 5, now that I know it works damn well, NO ISSUES found. One thing to note is that you need to install its multiboot program into flash, just press the "multi boot install" button and follow steps.

3) Installed Release beta_1.09 04/02/2005 6.1MB from h**p://w*w.dreambox4u.com/dm7000.php

4) Had a play with it and at some stage went into "Satellite Configuration" and pressed the "new" button a couple of times which automatically added Eurobird 28.5 for me (?) Dunno why, but after this it seemed to give me a clear set of settings whereby the transponder entries for Astra were full and no longer did I have a problem with the "blank" drop down menu in the satfind menu option: If the drop down is empty, the motor WILL NOT rotate to that satellite, in this case 28.2, whatever you do.

=>>> I got all the satellites I was interested in on the flash image, 30w, 28.2e, 13e.

I suggest you now leave this image alone, as it's in flash, low disk space etc...

5) Using flash wizard pro, I installed Davinci4 from dreambox4u dated 13/07/2005 into USB (you may have to format USB 1st if you haven't done already). This saves disk wear and noise.

=>>> Since I knew my flash image was working OK, I left the "smartsettings copy from active image" ticked. You can decide whether you want this new installed image to be the default or not.

****** IMPORTANT *****
Good configuration management practice: make sure that the image you are trying to install is based on the same version of image you have in flash or you're going to get problem. I know, I did
icon11.gif
several times.

So if DaVinci says its 109.1d, guess what DMM firmware (or equivalent) you need to have in flash?
icon12.gif

If you think your flash image may not be pucka, untick the smarsettings and start afresh.

6) I now played with the bouquets and settings, see section below

7) Installed newcamd 6.01 using the blue button etc...

8) Back up the image, hope I don't need to use it
icon10.gif

Installing Channel Lists and Bouquets.
============================
1) I found the latest set of *ALL* satellites and channels- one of the good things to come out of it: h**p://w*w.satellitesettings.net/; This is fantastic, it includes a load of useful bouquets and if you register they will tell you when new updates arrive.

2) I created a few sub-lists from the above for my needs, e.g. one for TV Cabo, One for Astra 28.2, one for all the BBC channels inc BBCi etc...

3) Download the current settings from the image you are playing with (needs to be the one in active use) using either dreamboxedit or flashwizard pro 5 or both.
===>>> Save this to the working directory and make copy to a backup area. Also check to see if you have any errors reported. I don't know how to fix any errors you might get, but 0 errors==good news.

4) Now you can compare this active current settings (tools->compare with services on disk on dreamboxedit) with your downloaded list in 1) above or 2)to the sub-lists you have created, one at a time. If you're feeling brave, go straight for 1). Now that I have it working, I might try that but there are LOADS of entries.

5) Dreamboxedit will treat your new lists as newer than the settings from the image, so you can look at the results that the compare gives you and select/de-select any others and then choose to update the current active set.

6) Now: This could have been what was giving some problems with the "blank" drop-down menu... I used the options tools->update satellites.xml and tools->clear satellites.xml to cleanse it after the merging just done with the compare command.

*** Can anyone confirm what these options really do, I assume it cleanses satellites.xml ready for transferring back. I was getting all sorts of problems before although it has to be said I changed the flash mage to an earlier version because that's what the DaVinci was based on ****

7) FTP it back to the DB using dreambox edit. I left the "remove unused bouquets from the DB" unticked for fear of things getting screwed up.

And Voi la!!! Works for me, hope it works for you. Now to play with getting big brother channel set up

icon14.gif
Phew after reading all that. Great to see your sorted.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Fad

Glad to see you up and running. Two notes:
I am not sure about this:
fad said:
****** IMPORTANT *****
Good configuration management practice: make sure that the image you are trying to install is based on the same version of image you have in flash or you're going to get problem. I know, I did.

icon12.gif
Never had problems flashing anything whatever the image was based upon. As a ,matter of fact, I several times flashed images which were based on older/newer images.

fad said:
Folks,

icon14.gif

You're welcome!

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
T_G said:
Hi Fad

I am not sure about this:

Never had problems flashing anything whatever the image was based upon. As a ,matter of fact, I several times flashed images which were based on older/newer images.

Hi T_G

I think Fad is referring to installing multiboot images in usb. If the image in flash is not compatible, multiboot installation sometimes does not work. Regards, pcd.

fad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
PCD said:
Hi T_G

I think Fad is referring to installing multiboot images in usb. If the image in flash is not compatible, multiboot installation sometimes does not work. Regards, pcd.
Folks, yes- it was a USB install.

...been happy for a while, just updating a couple of files ;-) every so often and flicking channels!

Cheers.