How to measure a dish

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
Hello all, silly question probably but "how should you measure a dish" ? i.o.w what does for example 1.5m stand for ? Is it the horizontal diameter, the vertical, is it perhaps always the greater of the two or perhaps is it the circumference (measuring the curve of the dish) ??
Shouldn't dishes be measured in area i.e 1.5x1.3=1.95m2 ??

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Convention says it will be horizontally across the face of the dish at the widest point, but not including the lip (if any).

Some of the more unscrupulous traders make much of the fact that people are generally unaware of this convention.

Rgds

L.:)

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
koansrc said:
Hello all, silly question probably but "how should you measure a dish" ? i.o.w what does for example 1.5m stand for ? Is it the horizontal diameter, the vertical, is it perhaps always the greater of the two or perhaps is it the circumference (measuring the curve of the dish) ??
Shouldn't dishes be measured in area i.e 1.5x1.3=1.95m2 ??

Whilst this not the area of a circular or 'elliptical' dish, it might be a way of comparing dishes 'one to another'. of like shape. :)

Dishes are usually selected for their gathering power, which generally equates to illuminated diameter, ie: a function of the horizontal measurement, advertising people may well take liberties to exagerate the size of their wares. :D

Actual area for a PF dish easy enough, but an offset dish more awkward being a bit egg shaped, and trapezoidal offset dishes :confused

PS. must learn to type faster