How to receive SKY TV Outside the UK?

ceetee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY mini dish
My Location
Scarborough
My cousin lives in France (he is retired and moved there last month) and has been told by SKY he cannot subscribe to SKY there as he is
outside the UK. He plans a second holiday home in Spain.
However people living in the Republicof Ireland (also an EU Member State) can subscribe.
I thought the EU had brought in a directive that an EU Citizen can subscribe to Sattv from his home Country whilst living
in ANY EU Member State.
What about all the Brits now living in Spain, why cannot they subscribe to SKY also?
SKY say they are just following the rules.
??
Carole.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sky UK are only licenced to transmit to the UK & Ireland. Of course Sky know very well their cards are used outside the UK, but as long as nothing is ever said they arent bothered as its extra revenue.

All your cousin needs to do is subscribe via a UK based address, by asking for a "second hand box" contract, and supply the equipment himself.

And never ever let slip that to Sky hes outside the UK or else his account will be terminated immediately.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Because the issue is greatly clouded by Copyright and other issues.

It really is a long and involved tale.

Suffice it to say that there are many ways in which people manage to obtain Subscriptions eg via Use of a UK address, through dodgy "resellers" etc.

Edit: I do wish a certain person would dip his fingers in treacle now and again!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
What the **** with this SKy they are moving and moving to UK beam channels which are avaiable for europe are gowin down and moving to UK beam.

Now what with UK ppl which are living outside UK and paying official sub but dont have no signal from UK?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Big-Apple said:
What the **** with this SKy they are moving and moving to UK beam channels which are avaiable for europe are gowin down and moving to UK beam.

Now what with UK ppl which are living outside UK and paying official sub but dont have no signal from UK?
Its extremely unlikely Sky will move their pay channels to the uk spotbeam. Its only going to be the uk psb family of channels.

If anyone loses to many channels due to unfavourable beam shapes then they do what every other customer does when their pay tv provider doesnt provide the service they desire - they cancel and either do without, or find an alternative

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
dont forget its SKY over 10 mln subscribers some time ago Indian channel NDTV24 was moved again from UK to pan europe beam anyway such channel should be FTA

again next Indian channel HD moved to UK beam called Star Plus while SD version left

E!HD also UK only

installing over 200cm dish is not only extreme but not safe when u have extreme weather condition which can simply cut out such dish and will be flying and can hit other house + devastations.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Many of those alleged 10m Subscribers actually watch little more than FTA Channels anyway - they have been brainwashed.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Big-Apple said:
dont forget its SKY over 10 mln subscribers some time ago Indian channel NDTV24 was moved again from UK to pan europe beam anyway such channel should be FTA

again next Indian channel HD moved to UK beam called Star Plus while SD version left

E!HD also UK only

installing over 200cm dish is not only extreme but not safe when u have extreme weather condition which can simply cut out such dish and will be flying and can hit other house + devastations.
WHY should it be fta??? Encrypted channels get a cut of the subscription revenue from Sky - handy money in the current difficult trading conditions.

We think they get a few pence per subscriber - thats not peanuts with 10 million pluss active subs.

AT the end of the day any subscriber that thinks SKy isnt value for money should cease their sub immediately.

mariuss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Strong Motor Dish 1.1m with Inverto Black Ultra
My Location
Dublin-Ireland
Sky UK are only licenced to transmit to the UK & Ireland. Of course Sky know very well their cards are used outside the UK, but as long as nothing is ever said they arent bothered as its extra revenue.

That should change and I'm not talking only about sky uk everyone should be allowed to watch his own dth from his own country all over Europe !

Steve Stras

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
W2 astra
My Location
Strasbourg
I agree with Analoguesat when he says that anyone who feels they are not obtaining value for money from Sky is free not to subscribe.

I live in quite a big expat community and I don't know one single person who subscribes to Sky. The general feeling is that Sky do not offer value for money bearing in mind what else is available in the marketplace. A lot of of Skys income is driven via football, which you can get here from French and German providers at a much lower price. Things like movies are available from all providers in their original language, as are the big US series and sitcoms. Once you remove those things from the equation the argument for subscribing to Sky is difficult to justify, especially bearing in mind the cost. In fact I can't see any reason why someone in mainland Europe should subscribe to Sky.

I would add I do know quite a few people who pickup FTA channels from the UK, though it's not a large percentage. Some of these things may be demographic and cultural, here in Strasbourg the expat community cannot survive without being integrated into the local community, we are too small. This isn't the case in expat communities in spain, canary islands, cyprus etc

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Steve Stras said:
I live in quite a big expat community and I don't know one single person who subscribes to Sky. The general feeling is that Sky do not offer value for money bearing in mind what else is available in the marketplace. A lot of of Skys income is driven via
I'd like to be able to watch test cricket - hard to find on French TV :) But I can't justify the cost of a Sky subscription just to watch a few England matches per year.

Steve Stras

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
W2 astra
My Location
Strasbourg
That's a fair point about the cricket, I've never found sat coverage other than Sky and highligts on FTA. I normally watch on a stream, last weekend I was up at 4.30 each morning for the India test. My other half (who's not a Brit) is genuinely mystified, like most of the French population, by cricket. You can just imagine her reaction at the alarm going off at 4.30am on consecutive weekend mornings because of this 'utterly pointless game'....

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Steve Stras said:
That's a fair point about the cricket, I've never found sat coverage other than Sky and highligts on FTA. I normally watch on a stream, last weekend I was up at 4.30 each morning for the India test. My other half (who's not a Brit) is genuinely mystified, like most of the French population, by cricket. You can just imagine her reaction at the alarm going off at 4.30am on consecutive weekend mornings because of this 'utterly pointless game'....
That's pretty much how my wife describes it :) I've tried telling her that our daughter will be the first great French fast bowler.... Streaming isn't really an option where we are - we're a bit out in the sticks and we're a fair distance from the exchange; our ADSL is thus limited to a measly 1Mbps. Youtube, for instance, has a nasty habit of pausing frequently unless I set it to a nearly unwatchable resolution or it's a cartoon.

At the moment I'm half watching Wales vs Australia on BBC 1 and bemoaning the fact that it isn't England vs New Zealand (although it might be a good thing that I can't see that, to be honest :) ).

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
hairybadger said:
At the moment I'm half watching Wales vs Australia on BBC 1 and bemoaning the fact that it isn't England vs New Zealand (although it might be a good thing that I can't see that, to be honest :) ).

12-Nil to England!

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Tivù said:
12-Nil to England!
grrrr.... watching the score. Looks like it must be a cracking match!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It's a fabulous Match ..............

35-14 to Eng.

Steve Stras

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
W2 astra
My Location
Strasbourg
I think we were due a result in the Rugby !

We have a cricket club here in Strasbourg, though we play in Kehl which is just over the border in Germany. I would describe us more as social sportsmen, which bascially means none of us really have any talent. Though we do have a bar within close proximty of our pitch, whilst this is good we have noticed that many of our batsmen have real difficulty 'seeing' the ball after 3pm. We think this may be a problem with the light....

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
now Channel 4 HD moved to uk beam :(