How to Replace LNB

biffer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to change the LNB on my Sky minidish to a quad version but I can't see how to remove my old LNB. I have read that there should be a pin holding it onto the arm but there isn't one. There is an oval hole near the end where a pin may go but the LNB goes past this blocking the hole. It actually seems that the LNB is solidly attached to the arm. I just can't see a way to remove it.

I'm not sure what make it is but my digibox is made be Grundig so would assume the dish is also Grundig. Any help would be really appreciated.

David.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The whole fitting slides out on a Sky minidish, they are all like this, some have a pressure fit only and some have a plastic pin through the boom arm.

It is very easy to accidentally move the dish whilst installing the new unit, so be aware that you may need to tweak the dish afterwards.

biffer

Reaction score
Thanks Rolf. When I was having a look at it I tried pulling it out but it seemed very tight. I will give it another go.

biffer

Reaction score
I have just had another look and it seems that the LNB is actually attached to the arm as it just won't slide out. When you say new unit do you mean that I need a new arm as well?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The arm should be in two sections, the main piece is attached to the dish , the other slides into the main part near the LNB.

Only when they are separate can you remove the LNB.

Might be worth posting a picture, you may have a completely different setup

biffer

Reaction score
Thanks Channel. I will take a pic and post it in a sec. Stick around!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Art the end of the feed arm are two dimples, which are clamping points for the LNB holder.

Depress the plastic on both sides and the feed assembly should come loose.

biffer

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Channel, I will give it a try. On another note, someone told me that I would need a bigger dish if using an LNB with multiple outlets. Is this the case?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
There will be a higher loss within the four port LNB so the advice is true, however the margin at which the signal starts breaking up on any dish is rather touch and go.

More importantly would be the alignment of the dish with the weight of the new LNB.