How to set up digital TV broadcast?

equinox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4.5m Dish C-Band, Measat-3a
My Location
Philippines
Hi everyone :)

I'm currently working in a TV station and I'm planning to set up digital TV broadcast. It will be composed of 7 channels and I want to transmit it in one frequency only via satellite and fiber optic facilities. I will be using encryption too. Definitely, the platform is MCPC. What are the equipments (Professional and broadcast quality) that I have to acquire. Please give me your recommendations. Thanks! :)

How do I include a TV channel in a DTH provider in Europe as FTA if my uplink will originate in New York City, U.S.? Is this possible?

I just want to ask if there is already a replacement satellite for Telstar 10? I have to choose among the three satellite service providers Telstar 10, Intelsat, and Thaicom since my uplink will originate from the Philippines. Our TV broadcast is planning to reach Europe so, we have to choose only one from the three. Please help. Thanks!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are wanting to transmit into Europe theres no point renting capacity on the Asian birds - they are all below our eastern horizons.

You would be better off talking to someone like Globecast or RRSat and utilising something like Eurobird 9A at 9E or one of the Hotbirds at 13E.

They can also advise on getting the transmission to a European uplink station via fibre link or satellite hop on something like Eutelsat W5 at 70E

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
How do I include a TV channel in a DTH provider in Europe as FTA if my uplink will originate in New York City, U.S.? Is this possible?

Not directly no - you will need to get it over the Atlantic either via satellite hop or fibre link.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive merged your various threads into one - please dont scatter posts over the forum or post in inappropriate sections. Any more found in the wrong sections will be deleted.

One topic - ONE thread!

equinox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Philippines
Analoguesat said:
Ive merged your various threads into one - please dont scatter posts over the forum or post in inappropriate sections. Any more found in the wrong sections will be deleted.

One topic - ONE thread!

Hi admin,

I'm sorry about posting on wrong sections. I'm really having a hard time finding the appropriate ones. Thanks for answering my questions. But there are some questions still left unanswered. I'll wait for the reply.

Anyway, I have some questions here. If we install an uplink C-band in somewhere in Europe for DTH distribution, what satellite service provider and DTH provider do you recommend so that our TV broadcast can be included in free-to-air lineup for viewership in the whole Europe?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
equinox said:
Anyway, I have some questions here. If we install an uplink C-band in somewhere in Europe for DTH distribution, what satellite service provider and DTH provider do you recommend so that our TV broadcast can be included in free-to-air lineup for viewership in the whole Europe?

Wasting your time in Europe with C band transmissions nobody uses them and hence few have receivers or lnb's capable of receiving C band transmissions

Also you have to understand this a satellite forum for satellite reception by hobbyists, not for professional transmissions, folk will help where possible of course

equinox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Philippines
Okay, I understand. We tried Globecast service before but that's for U.S. coverage only then, we have talked to RRSat already. We are currently on talks with UBI World TV. Its office is located at Australia. They told us that they can transmit our signal via fiber facilities from Philippines to Europe then Ku-band uplink to Hotbird. Do you have any idea if UBI World TV provides good service in Europe?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Never heard of UBI World

Globecast definitely have major presence in Europe - they lease multiple transponders on numerous satellites here.

Now - you need to decide which countries you require to be received in - the European market is fragmenting rapidly - if you want to be in the UK you need to be on 28E not 13E for example as very few Brits have dishes pointing at Hotbird.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Analoguesat said:
Never heard of UBI World

Australia's leading ethnic Subscription TV Platform :) (It says here ....)

_http://www.ubiworldtv.com/

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
equinox said:
Thanks for answering my questions. But there are some questions still left unanswered. I'll wait for the reply.

I thought Id covered the first couple of posts pretty well - just tack any other questions onto this thread and we will answer as best as possible but as Topper says we are just a bunch of keen hobbyists - for detailed answers to broadcast questions you really need to talk to the broadcast providers.

As for C-band forget it - its basically not used here. The uplink providers will tell you if its even possible to turn around signals into Europe via C-band

equinox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Philippines
Thank you so much for all your help Analoguesat, Tivù and Topper. :)

It's a great pleasure to be here. I'm very happy to find this forum today in yahoo. I've been searching for a forum like this in a long time now. I'll be browsing different topics here. And also my thanks for sharing to us that Protostar got bankrupt around 3 weeks ago. It happened to be that Protostar is in our short list of satellite providers that we are to start negotiating with. I think we will take it out of our list now. Thanks again. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
For how long do you believe you will be broadcasting signals into the UK for ?

If it is known you will be running a platform for three years or more you should check out one of the consultants that carries out negotiation for you on the more popular satellites, as without one, the standard pricing rates are prohibitive.

What will be on your platform anyway ?

GFS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite
My Location
United Kingdom
Hi, If you are looking for help setting up a DTH platform or joining an existing platform, GFS provides broadcasting solutions and advice across the globe. We can certainly assist you regarding choosing the right broadcasting hardware, the most cost-effective Conditional Access System and/or Middleware, Set-Top-Boxes and choosing the right satellite, uplink and broadcast platforms to work with.

There are multiple satellite operators which cover your region and it is a question of choosing the right one (and many will shortly be launching new or replacement satellites). Contact us directly via email for further advice.

Greg

GFS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite
My Location
United Kingdom
There is c-band satellite which we can recommend for you to use on which you can uplink out of your region. We can also recommend a number of teleports in Europe where you can downlink your channel bouquet then fibre to UK, some of which will even handle your entire distribution within the UK.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
GFS said:
Contact us directly via email for further advice.
Greg

Hi Greg and welcome to the forum

You have a ten post limit before PMs unless you want to give more details. Emails is out in your profile.

Equinox, you are also in the same boat so, PM him if you want to get the boost you require in this part of the world

Good luck in your venture.

equinox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Philippines
Channel Hopper said:
For how long do you believe you will be broadcasting signals into the UK for ?

If it is known you will be running a platform for three years or more you should check out one of the consultants that carries out negotiation for you on the more popular satellites, as without one, the standard pricing rates are prohibitive.

What will be on your platform anyway ?

I think we will be broadcasting for as long as UK allows us. :) We are planning to include in our platform many TV channels composed of news, public service shows, religious programs, informative talk shows, children show, informative shows, and some entertainment programs mostly for Filipinos and Europeans too. But we intend to broadcast not only in UK but if possible, in the whole Europe. Our broadcast signal will be coming from New York City using C-band uplink.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
equinox said:
I think we will be broadcasting for as long as UK allows us. :) We are planning to include in our platform many TV channels composed of news, public service shows, religious programs, informative talk shows, children show, informative shows, and some entertainment programs mostly for Filipinos and Europeans too. But we intend to broadcast not only in UK but if possible, in the whole Europe. Our broadcast signal will be coming from New York City using C-band uplink.

For the whole of Europe, one of the more popular satellites is a must, especially if you are to nominate the dish size required by the subscriber database.

equinox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Philippines
GFS said:
Hi, If you are looking for help setting up a DTH platform or joining an existing platform, GFS provides broadcasting solutions and advice across the globe. We can certainly assist you regarding choosing the right broadcasting hardware, the most cost-effective Conditional Access System and/or Middleware, Set-Top-Boxes and choosing the right satellite, uplink and broadcast platforms to work with.

There are multiple satellite operators which cover your region and it is a question of choosing the right one (and many will shortly be launching new or replacement satellites). Contact us directly via email for further advice.

Greg

Hi Greg, I can't find your email. How can I contact you? Thanks. :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have allowed PM (Personal Mail) for you both, as this is a subject which is really outside the hobby sphere.

equinox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Philippines
rolfw said:
Have allowed PM (Personal Mail) for you both, as this is a subject which is really outside the hobby sphere.

Thank you rolf. :) I appreciate your help so much.