mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I can lean out of my bedroom window and touch it! The left hand button seems to do nothing most of the time..... The cable would be the same regardless of where the motor is.

Tomorrow I will reflash and see what I can do. The motor works (the number of times I've seen it at 70W!), the DB just doesn't seem to send any motor commands when I click the DIRECTION setting (east to west). And the mode setting (Motor Config) only shows "position" rather than "function".

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
I can lean out of my bedroom window and touch it! The left hand button seems to do nothing most of the time..... The cable would be the same regardless of where the motor is.

Tomorrow I will reflash and see what I can do. The motor works (the number of times I've seen it at 70W!), the DB just doesn't seem to send any motor commands when I click the DIRECTION setting (east to west). And the mode setting (Motor Config) only shows "position" rather than "function".

Dont load any sat.xml, Just use gemeni image. Settings at start after flashing with fwp is pal=Green button or ok, Time zone ok, Complex ok. Then exit out of everything. Then use the how to i posted to manually set sats up. I have used this loads of times and always works. If that dont work then i would consider changing your motor. Ps (the freq might be out of date on the set up i posted so get valid ones)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I reflashed and didn't load any new files.

Dish is 20 degrees off but at least I can move it. I will reposition and try to lock in on 1.0W.

So, with luck, I am getting there.... ;)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:

Dish is 20 degrees off but at least I can move it. I will reposition and try to lock in on 1.0W.

I would try locking 13e,19e or even 28e 1st. I usually always do 19e 1st.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
mhku said:

That's good news, but you MUST MUST MUST set up the dish on your south-most satellite before you go driving the motor east or west from it's central position if you are going to have ANY chance of having the whole lot work properly. Anyone who says different is dead jammy!

Did I say MUST enough times?!?!?! :)

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
That's good news, but you MUST MUST MUST set up the dish on your south-most satellite before you go driving the motor east or west from it's central position if you are going to have ANY chance of having the whole lot work properly. Anyone who says different is dead jammy!

Did I say MUST enough times?!?!?! :)

This is true of course, but 13e or 19e are easier to find, and if the pole is vertical it should not matter as a starting point for finer adjustment. Regards.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If you're having trouble finding your due-south satellite then I agree that driving your motor to 19.2E or 13E, manually aligning on those birds, then driving to due-south sat will get you close, but fine adjustment should be done at the top of the arc if you want to get an accurate profile across the whole arc.

Of course, getting the pole perfectly vertical will, as you say, solve 99 percent of all know sat-alignment problems. :)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
BGonaSTICK said:
If you're having trouble finding your due-south satellite then I agree that driving your motor to 19.2E or 13E, manually aligning on those birds, then driving to due-south sat will get you close, but fine adjustment should be done at the top of the arc if you want to get an accurate profile across the whole arc.

Of course, getting the pole perfectly vertical will, as you say, solve 99 percent of all know sat-alignment problems. :)

Yes your right, 1w to start. Forgot i have the motors set up when I change images for my mates.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
PCD said:
This is true of course, but 13e or 19e are easier to find, and if the pole is vertical it should not matter as a starting point for finer adjustment. Regards.

There should be practically no difference with a reasonable sized dish between finding 19E and 1W and using anything but your due South satellite should be a last resort.

As STICK says, fine tuning of the arc is harder if you do not start at the zenith, I've also seen loads of posts where people have problems with the Western satellites and the arc generally, because they've set up on an Eastern (easy to find) satellite.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
So 1W is my southern most satellite? How can I tell I've tuned into the "right" satellite? Or will the transponder values only be valied for 1W?

Thanks again for all the suggestions :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Pick a transponder with an easily recognisable channel, make sure that you get a lock indication, then once found, you can do a manual transponder scan and see if it comes up with the channel.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Thanks, I'll do that as soon as I replace the aluminium (and now crushed) pole with a steel one....

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
Thanks, I'll do that as soon as I replace the aluminium (and now crushed) pole with a steel one....

How you getting on mate, any luck yet.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
mhku said:

Mine is attached to a round wooden post, does not buckle !

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I've got a steel pole but the wet weather and not getting home from work 'til late has made this a job for tomorrow (weather permitting).

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
I've got a steel pole but the wet weather and not getting home from work 'til late has made this a job for tomorrow (weather permitting).
Make sure its dead straight otherwise you will be waisting your time putting a motor up. Use a Long spirit level.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Is 6ft long enough? ;) The bracket is vertical in both planes, so only need to get the pole vertical in one plane, which is nice....

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Just about to point the dish South. Do I add mangentic deviation to 180? ie set it to 183 rather than 180?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Well 18v sure has a bit of a tingle...

The dish is pointed roughly 1W (hard to use a compass next to a metal object!). Doing a transponder scan and while have seen a 99% AGC, the SNR never goes above 50%. Does the LNB need adjusting?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
The dish should be pointing about 27 degrees from the horizon. If you can't find 1w try 13e, much stronger signal.