How to stop file delete Humax Foxsat

johnscotty

Reaction score
HDD is getting full so was playing around with archiving to a USB drive. During that process I have inadvertantly pressed the yes button for delete for the folder which happened to feature another set of programmes we want to keep.Obviously the box started deleting the entire folder. Thinking if this was a pc switching off at the mains would do the job. Switched back on and yes the folder was there with most of the programmes still intact.

However, the box then carried on deleting the programmes in the folder! So the big question is - how do I stop it deleting more. Currently I have the box switched off at the mains again.

Thanks in anticipation

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I don't think you can.

You are given the opportunity to confirm Deletion options prior to activating and that's it.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I did the same thing once and I was unable to stop the deletion. I did the same thing and unplugged the box and found that ALL the contents of the hard disk were unreachable. I had to format the disk and start again so perhaps you had better take the loss. Unfortunately, as Linux is used to run the box, a deleted file is just that, deleted and gone - unlike Windows where you can undelete a file if you know how.

There is one faint hope. If you tahke the hard disk out and, using a suitable disk caddy and disk reading software, you might be able to find the files and copy them to a computer while they still exist. Let us know if you go down this toute and have any success.

Stew.art

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Minidish 28/19°E (FTA) • DVB-S2: Edision Proton & Skybox F3 • NowTV (Black) • DVB-T: Toshiba HDTV, Netgem iPlayer • DAB: Pure's The Bug • OS: Windows 10 & Puppy Linux.
My Location
North Essex, England
How about unplugging the Hard Drive's SATA cable and then turning on the Foxsat, this change could end its scheduled actions.

johnscotty

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies......it was a late night and busy morning!

Took the HDD out connected up to the PC, Using easeus partition master I was going to copy the files to another HDD. However, the software allows me to look at the files Drive has atotal of 270Gb, some other stuff featured in folders on the HDD takes up ~100gb of the 279gb. However the folder of the file that I inadvertantly deleted is there but shows nothing in it (all the others do) but the difference of 270 minus 100 equates to those files not shown in the 'empty'folder. Thought I'd run some recovery software (Easeus again) and that shows the missing files but with no size (not sure if thats what should be on Easeus data recovery).

In summary it looks as if the files are there but I can't seem to get to copy them. I could just clone the HDD then I have the lot to give me time to sort it later!

I haven't tried putting the HDD back to see if its cut the thread to deletion! I also now realise I can't clone the old HDD since I don't have enough room on PC HDD or an extra Sata connection to copy and clone as well as the existing HDD in the PC (got a new motherboard that was but that appears to be project 37 on the schedule!)

I think I may just keep the Humax HDD out of the unit till I can resolve copying/cloning the files (I think on reflection I have a sata card somewhere which would then give me the extra slot for the copy and clone.

Thanks again

GreenFairy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD78 / Televés 7455 / Humax FoxsatHD / Hitachi UT32MH70
My Location
Norfolk, UK
Two pieces of software that you might be interested in, TestDisk and PhotoRec. Don't know that they will be of help to the OP, but well worth a look, if only for future reference.

_http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

johnscotty

Reaction score
I had a problem back in December with my camera and the memory card when it went wrong. Tried several pieces of recovery software at that time - typically they worked in varying success levels and can't quite remember which was best only that some were better than others. So it will be try them all again and see how succesful they are. I'll let you know how I get on. Pressures off now - had to own up to my wife I'd trashed some of her programe files!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Can't see this suggestion in the thread but if you have a second SATA drive in your possession it might be worth trying to fool the receiver into thinking it's already deleted everything by installing it temporarily.

I cant help you with lost video/audio files though, unless you have something like Vincor PC inspector, and use the most agressive recovery where you can save clusters. A large drive is going to take hours if not days though to interrogate though and the software is a little flaky in most extreme mode.

johnscotty

Reaction score
I was heavily into the software mode last night and got some that was quite good at the initial stage (Haven't dared yet to press anything that features go/yes!). ET2 explore as an example lists the 'deleted' file folder but doesn't feature anything inside (all the other folders reveal all).
Another software (recovery) however, lets me see all that is/was there - looks promising at this stage (but haven't read quite whats what with it). It has current folders files with green ticks, others with red crosses and green ticks others with red crosses (must read the help files, but I get the drift since some of the red crosses look to be the already deleted files whilst the to be deleted files in the folder are still there with finite file sizes (red crosses are zero file sizes).

However, in another section is the heading 'delete folder' - double click and it tells me everything I did at the delete stage @plug in usb stick, remove usb etc'.

I figure this is the one I need to delete, but on the windows PC haven't yet found anything else to read that this file is there and that the 'to be deleted folder' contains as yet undeleted files. So I am thinking of transfering the lot to another drive (have a new one but awaiting resolution on some warranty issues). But put my other HDD in the Humax box and it has run with that. On that basis I think putting the old HDD will just re-instigate the deletion process since the deletion file is still there on the original HDD. I need to be able to access that file from my windowsXP PC to delete it. As yet, all manner of 'EXt2 'file manager software won't appear to let me do that.

I'm away form tomorrow for a few days so time to regroup!

Cheers

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Interesting stuff. Keep us up to date when you get back :-thumbup

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Oh no - the first Winterval Smiley of the year!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I believe Tesco's beat me to it with their Christmas displays going up in places.

johnscotty

Reaction score
Nothing is every simple with computers (and the software in particular). But actually it turned out sort of easy once I knew how (famous last words). Started with the Humax HDD on the pc, installed Ext2fsd but all I got were the various partitions with the volume size - no file details at all. Thats when I moved on the recovery software with R-Linux. But didn't get round to doing recover. That sofware gave me the files and the delete file I needed to delete. But as recovery software it wouldn't let me do that. Then went on to Diskinternals, Linux reader. Again this featured all and sundry but the delete option wouldn't work - that option was protected. It gave me options for permission but then on the changes it said no. Went to Knoppix as that seemed to suggest all manner of options. Got there yes I could read all the files but again delete was not in the repertoir.
More reading and picked up a hint that the original EXt2fsd actually worked within windows explorer and not its own window. A few clicks on its dedicated menu and it seemed to give some activation options. One featured control panel so thought I'd tick enable and restart. On restart, opened explorer and all files were revealed including the delete folder I had been after. Pressed delete and all was gone (I did back it up just in case). HDD back in the Humax, fired it up (well the other HDD I had put in was running rather hot (fried eggs anyone! - must check the fan is working). And that's it - the box booted without deleting any further files and there is still 77 of the programs there (yes I lost a few (and I might go back to see if I can reciover some with the other software but thats for the weekend).

Thanks for your help and comments.

Cheers

John

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That's a result John, not an easy job though.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I admire you're resourcefulness and perseverance - well done!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Excellent work John. Diskinternals Linux Reader is the free version I guess which specifically is just a reader. Maybe the paid-for version might have done more.