"How-to" store motor positions/ scan satellites

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
@T_G,
Hi, I have read your post, and have the same problems as mhku.
I have a dm500s and a strong srt dm2100 motor. When I flash a new image like Gemini, and goto motor config, put in my cords. It does not work for me, I agree and would like for this to work automatically...after finding that it has not worked.. I go to the next motor config page, enter 13E and a strong transponder, adjust the stepping until I am satisfied, and store.

Then I do a second sat, lets say 28.2E, store save etc...I have tried gotoXX after that and it still fails....what have you learned that you can share on this..? drive to zero, also does not work, later this week my installer is coming over and I will try all this with the motor in front of me, and try and figure out what is going wrong...

In your post above I saw you said that you go in a tweak the gotoXX if your off a little on the sat.....

"for instance I will change 12 000 to 11 800"

Where is that, I don't see this... I only see 1/13.0E under the gotoXX box
with 1 as the number in the motor and 130 as the orbital pos.

nezbit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM5620-S Gemini 3.10, 80cm Dish on Moteck SG2100A, MRev2.25, Sky+, Sagem dBox2, DM500c Neutrino dPlus V2.01
My Location
Manchester
If you are using gemini and just upgrading the image its easy.

1. With the old image still on the box (with all your channels/satellites stored) open the blue button panel > Extras/Settings > Create Backup. Select which folder you'd like to save the backup in then select what you'd like to backup. I choose enigma & gemini settings. Then ftp this off your box.

2. Use Dreambox edit or similar to backup you channels/bouquets.

3. Flash your new Gemini image and setup network.

4. ftp your backup back onto the box and the use Blue button panel> Extras/Settings>Restore backup.

5. Use dreamboxedit or similar to restore you channels/bouquets.

Easy, thinking about it you may not even need to use dreambox edit to save you channels/bouquets as the backup may do it for you. I'll have to check that.

For what its worth I've never managed to get GotoXX working on my 5620, the motor never budges but as I only use gemini images and the sats are all stored now using the backup and restore routine suits me fine.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
When you restore from a DreamUP backup guess what? No motor settings, no channels, no sats. Now that is what I call a useful backup.

And gotoXX doesn't work with dm500s either.

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
mhku said:
When you restore from a DreamUP backup guess what? No motor settings, no channels, no sats. Now that is what I call a useful backup.

And gotoXX doesn't work with dm500s either.

If you store /var on the USB key then it is just a matter of copying it onto a laptop or PC, personally I do not think that it is a good idea to restore from backup as sometimes the structure and format of files change and the new image may do all sorts of funny things then.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
If you store /var on the USB key

DM500s = no USB, no hard drive, poor person:(

:-bash

:D

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
ftp the /var out to a PC
or
Put MS SFU on your PC so you can use NFS and link your /var to the PC; this might help (and I think relocate /var is done in either the sticky how-to for dreambox or on IHAD.....)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I've done that in the past (for plugins) but considering that my record function is very flaky I don't want to do this and I don't see the point really. The upgrade to 2.90 hasn't changed my unreliable recording so I'm thinking it may be my pc/ firewall (I have to reboot if I want to record).

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
really?
try with firewall disabled, my HTPC runs with no firewall.
how have you set up CIFS? My recording has been much better with 2.9.....and I used the web interface.

I also set it into STANDBY when recording as the CPU frankly IMO isn't up to doing too much all at once.

And in theory using NFS would give you the option of using a NFS mount too, for your /hdd

Have you tried ngrab too?

attachment.php

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
I should also add that I have a Cat5e network at home; so HTPC and DB are on the same network running through a 10Mbit hub...

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
Leee said:
I should also add that I have a Cat5e network at home; so HTPC and DB are on the same network running through a 10Mbit hub...

No chance recording through 10MBit hub, the data flow is too low, DB needs at least 2.5 MBytes/s bandwidth to start with on 27k5 bitrate channels.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
skydreamer said:
No chance recording through 10MBit hub, the data flow is too low, DB needs at least 2.5 MBytes/s bandwidth to start with on 27k5 bitrate channels.

I say it's 10Mbit but my 100Mbit card tells me that during file copy, I am using 65% of 100Mbit connection.....go figure. But that PC is connected to a switch @100Mbit and my 19" hub is deffo 10Mbit and my recordings are perfectly watchable - unless I saturate my network during recording :(

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
As cifs appears to be part of 2.90 I haven't "set it up" at all (unlike 2.40 where it was a plugin if I recall?).

DB is cat5 on 100mb network. DB ip address is trusted zone in firewall.

ngrab- no. Recording - well mounting seems a bit hit & miss.

HTPC- don't suppose you know where to get stable drivers for a pci 6200 card that work with mce? now that is 'O'-red

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
CIFS works perfectly on my 2.90 image :) How are you setting it up?
I'm using Media Portal on my HTPC.....so can't help :-doh!