Html

aikon0029

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CPU Intel® Pentium® 4 640 Prescott (3.20 Ghz)
Memory 1024 MB DDR RAM - (2x 512 MB - PC3200)
Motherboard ECS 915P-M3
Hard Drive 300GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA 6B300S0 Skystar 2 usb 1.1mtr steerable dish Manhattan XT[CM, Quali 1080ir
My Location
London [South East]
I am a complete dunce on a lot of pc aspects, one thing that has always baffled me and still does is HTML. Can anyone explain to me in simple terms that even a child would understand how to work HTML. I know if you click on something and it ask if you want to save it, so for instance you save it in your Doc file, and it shows HTML, where do you go from there to view the file. If someone can explain it would be appreciated and solve the mystery for me, thank you.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I think Razor is better suited to answering this sort of thing but (in my laymans terminology)

HTML is a method of making simple text appear to be customised / easy to identify/easy to read / on top of or within highlighting, on a web browsing system. For each page to appear as the maker intended, you need to have a browser compatible with the language used by the web-designer.

Most are cross compatible and the terminology and coding used (usually in the form of <coding> and </coding> around each part of the design characters).

Since something as simple as Notepad can be used to make up a webpage by the use of HTML coding, it follows that the page can be disassembled into its constituent components if the designer has not put protection around it.

So the first thing to do is to install a compatible browsing system, such as Explorer, Navigator/Comunicator and others, and store the relevant pages as HTML.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If you download something like this free HTML editor

http://download.com.com/3000-2048-10220028.html?tag=lst-0-6

it will guide you through making simple HTML files and there is an HTML tour that should tell you the basics.

The problem with writing something in say MS Word and simply saving it as an HTML file is it will become very bloated. Word adds all sorts of things that a simple page really doesn’t need, so editing it in anything except Word becomes difficult as you have no idea what some of the tags are for.

Keeping it straightforward in an HTML editor that shows you all the tags and explains them if you want, taking the dauntingness away, will not only make a tidier file but teach you HTML as you go.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hi :)
I know a little about html which stands for "hyper text markup language" far as i can recall. I probably cannot look at a blank page and build an html design (mnever really tried) but i can understand what the basic html is doing on the page as regards various things like anchors etc and i can recognise an html code for links etc or how to cut and paste javascripts etc into the source code on the page and i am quite good at back engineering html and changing the whole layout etc. I find microsoft word to be excellent at editing pages BUT you really need to understamd what you are doing as regards the html or its no good. What i suggest you do is teach yourself the basics of html for about 3 months and i guarantee you will surprise yourself. I would just save a webpage in explorer and then just experiment with the source code etc by clicking on "view" and then "source" in internet explorer and then just saving the source again and that is how i learned to build a shopping site that i once had and this was in conjunction with teaching myself html i found on the net just by searching the keywords "html basics".

here are the sort of sites i recommend you start with.

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/authoring/html_basics/
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/basics.html
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimerAll.html

Though there are programs out there that do not require you to know HTML in order to build a web page i find that the knowledge is very good to have.

aikon0029

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CPU Intel® Pentium® 4 640 Prescott (3.20 Ghz)
Memory 1024 MB DDR RAM - (2x 512 MB - PC3200)
Motherboard ECS 915P-M3
Hard Drive 300GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA 6B300S0 Skystar 2 usb 1.1mtr steerable dish Manhattan XT[CM, Quali 1080ir
My Location
London [South East]
Thanks for the replies guys, will have to read through everything suggeste.