pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Can anyone help me with the following regarding the motorised
setup of the Humax:
on pg 30-32 of the manual it states under the heading,

Satellite Name.

" A selection of satellite names that can be used to identify a motor position. If the satellite name you require is not available, please use other. In installer mode the Satellite Name Reference refers to the 0 position of the motor."

Firstly, is is possable to change the names of the satellites (antenna alternatives) that are shown in this menu? I find this very confusing when the name of the satellite is not listed and you have to use a name from the list, or worse still, when you have to use "other1 other2 or other3". It means that you need to keep a paper record of what names are assigned to what bird so that you do not use the same name twice because that messes things right up.

Secondly, when it states "In installer mode the Satellite Name Reference refers to the 0 position of the motor." what does it mean? Is the zero position of the motor is due south? If it is do you name due south (near as damn it Thor - 0.8 west) as "Reference"???

By the way, I am using a v-box and jack, not a diseq motor.

The reason I am asking is that when I originally set this system I was in a big hurry as it was the first day of the season and I was just pleased to get it all working. Reciently all my sat positions have been lost (due to v-box or Humax - I don't know) and I have to set them all again, so I thought I would check that I am doing it right.

I realise that unless you have a similar system you won't know the answers, but here's hoping.

pixey

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If I get time tomorrow, Ill plug it in (havent used it for weeks). I dont think its upgraded from normal.

What firmware are you using in yours, and where did you get it from ? Ill try to mimic it.

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Hi CH, I assume you mean Humax firmware. It is as follows:

HW version: Oak 1+2 2.1
SW version: HIC1.05.00+
Device driver version: HIC1.05.00+
SW last update: 4 Mar 2002
Loader version: H2.08
System ID: 0016.0600
Current service: SBS6

+cam 2002 with tux on humax
PET 123(C)

Conditional access
Softcell version information
+cam 2002g & tux on humax v1.1
Euro 1-chip version: NEC v2.1

I have been advised to upload new settings using humbox 4.1
but I would rather just be able to rename the satellites (antenna alternatives)

The v-box is the later silver one.

Hope this helps.

pixey

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Cant mimic the Cam bit, pc wont load or unload from the serial port for some reason since starting use of the USB

You should be able to assign a satellite name initially from the list that may not be correct.

Once its stored you should be able to edit the name, but not restore the position within the DiSEqC setting, so you have to get it right first time.

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
That would be fine CH, but how do I edit the name??
Is it done on the receiver or on the laptop??

pixey

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Originally posted by pixey
That would be fine CH, but how do I edit the name??
Is it done on the receiver or on the laptop??

Download & use any settings editor for Humax from HERE.
Do not forget to configure the settings editor for your system ID.

iceman

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks Iceman, but how can I change the satellite names in the "satellite list box"?

pixey

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
It says in the manual

" if the satellite name you require is not available, please use other" This is what I want to change. I don't want to use "other", I want to put a name in.

pixey

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
On the version 2.0 Tox on Humax, you have a normal satellite list with all the more popular satellite names. At the bottom of this list is a setting for USER DEFINED, which if selected, takes you into a keyboard that you can name the satellite anything you like

I dont know how many you can chose or store, but I beleive its going to be many more than three

The zero reference is normally associated with direct link DiSEqC motor systems, where a reset will send the dish back to true South

Hope it helps

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks CH but that is not what I mean.
If you press MENU, go down to INSTALLATION and then into SERVICE SEARCHING, highlight ANTENNA SETTING and press OK.

Go down to Satellite name and press the Right arrow and choose a name off the list or go to USER DEFINED, as you have stated.

You should now be back in the ANTENNA SETTING menu.
If you then press OK on the satellite name you will get the MANUAL SEARCH menu.

Highlight the ANTENNA ALTERNATIVE (with satellite name) and press OK and you get the SATELLITE SETTING menu.

If the satellite name that appears here is incorrect, you highlight the name and press the right arrow to change it.

If the name you want is not listed on this list the only option is OTHER 1, OTHER 2, OR OTHER 3.

This is where I want to change the names and I can't find a way of doing it.

Also there are only 25 names on the list, including OTHER , OTHER 2 AND OTHER 3.

There must be a way of changing this but I cannot find it.

I hope this is a bit clearer.

pixey

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
On the machine Ive been testing with the 2.0, there are 32 satellite settings available so with a universal LNB and a DiSEqC motor system that means a true 32 positions

Each satellite can be names with the first setup, either from the usual naming from the database, or via the user defined names

Only whwn you hav eallocated the positions to all 32 different positions (17 are in this firmware with user defined as the 18th and the 'joker' I suppose) can you then set up more satellite positions with unique names

I suggest you name everything you believe you can find in advance, and then enter the Antenna alternative menu

By the way without knowing which size antenna, nor your real location I cannot advise whether 32 positions are really available. I constantly run out of memory with 52 on the dish here ) and if the 32 number is too small I believe you should be looking at using the Humax as a slave machine with a separate positioning module. Try and find a dual axis unit as the next two years are going to be interesting with inclined orbit stuff.

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
CH,

"Only whwn you have allocated the positions to all 32 different positions (17 are in this firmware with user defined as the 18th and the 'joker' I suppose) can you then set up more satellite positions with unique names"

So are the 25 (inc other 1,2 & 3) set in the firmware and not available without changing the firmware?

BTW, I am just North of the M25 and I have a 1.2M Channel Master dish.

If there is any suitable software for changing these names without changing the firmware, do you know what it is called? I already have humbox4.1 and setedit but can't see how to change any of these 25 names, or how to add more, as the receiver should hold 32??

pixey

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I think a firmware upgrade is in order for you

I have no problem with storing 30 positions at present with all satellite names customised

I do not see on the software version I have here the other 1, 2, or 3 and so I assume this is what is giving you so much trouble.

Update the receiver and try again with the version Ive been using

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
OK, now the big question. Can you point me to somewhere where I can find an easy step by step guide to do this as I don't want to mess this up. I have found a couple of places with a guide but if assumes some knowledge. Although I have used Setedit to shuffle channels etc, that is about my limit.
If you can help I appreciate it.

pixey

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Planet Hemp is suggested as being the first place to go

Nobblys Big links seems to have a few sites on there that can help

this one seems to be rather good

http://tuxonhumax.berlios.de/public/

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks CH. It doesn't look that hard to do but I am a bit nervous about doing it. I have downloaded all the files that I need.

Is the official firmware HIC10500-06.hdf to match my system id of: 0016.0600 ?

pixey

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I have no idea. Anyone else able to elaborate ?