humax 5400 & humax 5400zp

hfathollahi

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am going to buy one of these two receivers , now I would like to know advantages and disadvantages of " patched HUMAX 5400Z " in comparison with HUMAX 5400.

Thanks for any information .

hojjat

PRINCE

Reaction score
My Location
uh::
Hi,

A humax 5400 means you can patch the receiver yourself whereas a 5400z needs to be patch by a professional.So you are better off getting the 5400 and patching it yourself.

Regards

Prince

hfathollahi

Reaction score
Thanks prince
prince , something is not clear for me about 5400Z .whether just for the first patch , an expert should work on 5400Z or for all future pathes , this job shoulb done by an expert ?

regards
hojjat

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
The modification of a 5400z is not a patch in the usual sense; it is a software 'update' to return the 5400z to the same specification as the 5400. You can do it yourself, but you'll need to buy or make a z board and download the software. What's more, you'll have to take the cover off the receiver, which may cause problems with your guarantee. Guidance on this is available at http://www.axs-ict.nl/humax5400/Talen/English/index.htm

If you search the Web you may also find sites which offer instructions on 'no board' modifications. I can't speak from experience, but these methods seem to offer a high risk of damaging the receiver.

Given that 5400z costs about £300 anyway and there is still the additional cost of the board, I decided to buy a modified reciever - there isn't a huge difference in total outlay and you do have the security of knowing that you're buying a guaranteed set. I prefer to let the dealer take the risk.

Once modified, you can patch the set as many times as you like.

wolsty

hfathollahi

Reaction score
Thanks wolsty
Patched 5400z is avialable , So it would be better for me to buy a patched one , but for future patches whether I have to open the box or I can download the software via RS232 .

regards
hojjat

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
You can download via RS232, but you'll need a null modem cable NOT a conventional RS232 connector. They are readily available at computer shops etc.

Bibi Bear has given an excellent, step-by-step guide to patching your 5400 on http://www.satellites.co.uk/scripts/webforum/DCForumID10/101.html

wolsty

:)

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
You're welcome.

wolsty

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Is there any external difference between the 5400 and the 5400z so that you can tell which one you are buying?

Pixey

hfathollahi

Reaction score
Hi

you can see the following as your answer . I found it in http://www.sat-2000.com/news102001.htm

New HUMAX 5400 Z patched OCT 24
The new HUMAX 5400Z has now been fully patched with the +cam firmware. The new receiver functions exactly as the old model .The serial port is also activated as in the old model .You can upload new settings/ new firmware/ new patches as you please. There is no difference in the new and old decoder following the upgrade. We have had many mails asking us what the difference is with the new model and our answer is ABSOLUTELY NONE! We supply the new Humax already patched and ready to go!! see our Humax page !

regards
hojjat

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
I've not seen a 5400, but my 5400z has a 5400z label on the front cover. Presumably, the information plate also carries a serial number which gives model information. The box which contained my STB also had 5400z plainly marked on the outside.

wolsty

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks lads, so I take it that there is no point buying a 5400 and patching it yourself over buying a patched 5400z??

Pixey

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Buying a 5400z and patching it yourself is probably slightly cheaper than buying a patched model. However, you have to buy or make a board to do it, it's not a straightforward job, especially if you're inexperienced and, if it goes wrong, you'll have invalidated your guarantee. I investigated the situation and concluded that the ready-patched STB was well worth the slight premium: if only for peace of mind. My receiver has worked perfectly; I've patched it several times and updated the settings via the RS232 port with not a single hitch.

wolsty

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
What I ment wolsty was is it better to buy an unpatched 5400 (that can be easily patched as the z-board has not been removed) or to get a pre-patched 5400z that does not come with the z-board but has already been patched? I suppose what I am trying to say is that are you "limited" in any way by buying a receiver that has the z-board removed although it has already been patched. Is the z-board likely to have any further use?? I ask this as the patched 5400z are easily available and the 5400, patched or unpatched are not as easy to find.

Pixey

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Sorry for the misunderstanding, Pixey. I had thought the 5400 to be unavailable rather than difficult to find, so I assumed you were trying to decide between a patched and and unp[atched 5400z.

My understanding is that a patched 5400z behaves in exactly the same way as 5400, so there is nothing to be gained by going for the older model. It's just down to price.

wolsty

:+

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks wolsty, that's what I really wanted to know. BTW, an un-patched 5400 is about £55 more expensive than a pre-patched 5400z.

Pixey