Humax 5400 problem

B

BarrieAd

Hi all, Ihave had a problem for some time now with my Humax 5400z (modified), the problem is on many channels I get a no or bad signal message and on these channels if a picture does come through it is very intermittent and/or very blocky.
Just some of the channels I have problems with are:-

Astra 1 -- Nederland 1,2 and 3, C+ Rood, Blauw, 16/9, X Zone plus others.

Hotbird 13 -- Absat channels, Multivision channels plus others.

Sirius -- Ticket channels, TV1000 plus others.

I am pretty sure my Dish is alligned ok and feel the problem is either LNB or my Aston Diseq to Normal positioner might be the problem.

My system is:- 1.5mr Prime focus dish
Universal LNB
Aston Diseq to normal Positioner
Humax 5400z (modified) with latest 2002g software

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems (and how they overcame it) or if anyone could offer any help or advice on the way forward, I have tried all sorts of different settings in case I had set it up wrong through the Humax settings menu but all to no avail.

All comments greatly appreciated.

Regards
Barrie

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
>Hi all, Ihave had a problem for some time now with my Humax
>5400z (modified), the problem is on many channels I get a no
>or bad signal message and on these channels if a picture
>does come through it is very intermittent and/or very
>blocky.
>Just some of the channels I have problems with are:-
>
>Astra 1 -- Nederland 1,2 and 3, C+ Rood, Blauw, 16/9, X Zone
>plus others.
>
>Hotbird 13 -- Absat channels, Multivision channels plus
>others.
>
>Sirius -- Ticket channels, TV1000 plus others.
>
>I am pretty sure my Dish is alligned ok and feel the problem
>is either LNB or my Aston Diseq to Normal positioner might
>be the problem.
>
>My system is:- 1.5mr Prime focus dish
> Universal LNB
> Aston Diseq to normal Positioner
> Humax 5400z (modified) with latest 2002g
>software
>
>I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems (and
>how they overcame it) or if anyone could offer any help or
>advice on the way forward, I have tried all sorts of
>different settings in case I had set it up wrong through the
>Humax settings menu but all to no avail.
>
>All comments greatly appreciated.
>
>Regards
>Barrie

I suspect that the problem is with the antenna and positioner, rather than the Humax itself, since the Humax appears to be giving the commands to move your dish satisfactorily.

Have you tried fine tuning the dish via the STB Menu/Installation/Antenna Settings routine? If you swing the dish east and west and watch the signal strength and quality bars, you'll see when your antenna is pointing in the right direction. However, if your dish elevation is wrong, the antenna won't track the correct arc and this will also give problems. Generally speaking, the weaker the signal, the more susceptible is the picture to breaking up, since you've little room for error. A strong signal will give you a picture even if the dish is badly aligned. I understand that large (ie 1.5 metre) dishes require more accurate alignment than small ones. So size does apparently matter. I wouldn't know, as I have only a small one and can't get Sirius!

It's worth doing a search of the forums on this site, since there are several threads dealing with setting up your dish, including the current one,which has run to several pages.

wolsty

:+

B

BarrieAd

Hi Wolsty, thanks for the reply. I think I have got to the bottom of the problem, I suddenly got the idea of putting the connector from the LNB directly onto the Humax (for those of you who do not know, when you use the Aston Diseq to normal motorised positioner the LNB goes to the Aston direct and then another connector goes from the Aston to the receiver) and hey Presto the Channels on the satellite I was on (Hotbird) were all working OK with a really strong signal.

So know I have to find out if the fault is with the Aston or with the connecting Cable, I rather fancy the Cable is at fault myself, I will get another one tomorrow and try it

Regards
Barrie;)