Humax 5400z patch

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Whilst idly looking for Taquilla listings, I came across the Italian site http://www.satellite.it/home/default.htm My understanding of Italian is almost non-existent, but my eye was caught by an item on the Humax 5400z, the text of which I paste below. Does this item claim, as i suspect, that the 5400z can be patched, without need for a pcb, by using software from the site mentioned? Or am I imagining it? You can find the original article by entering '5400z' in the 'cerca nel sito' box and selecting 'articoli'.

wolsty

Il nuovo modello di Humx IRCI 5400 e' caratterizzato dalla presenza di un firmware che non permette l'utilizzo della porta seriale per il caricamento di software alternativi che possono essere utilizzati per la visione abusiva dei canali a pagamento, addirittura senza dover utilizzare le CAM Common Interface per i diversi sistemi di accesso condizionato.

Leggermente diversa la situazione relativa al caricamento dei settings. Il ricevitore di per se' puo' comunicare col PC per l'interscambio dei dati relativi alla lista canali, pero' nessuno degli editor in circolazione permette tale operazione.

Per utilizzare SE-OAK con lo Humax 5400Z e' sufficente sostituire il file FV3DLL.DLL che si trova all'interno della directory SE-OAK con l'omologa DLL patchata per il modello Z. Per non perdere la DLL originale conviene rinominarla con un altro nome del genere FV3DLL_OLD.DLL. Una volta eseguita questa operazione bisogna impostate il campo System ID nella Windows Option al valore che risulta dal vostro ricevitore nel menu di interrogazione dello stato (solitamente 01020600) e poi salvare il tutto.
Queste sono operazioni da eseguire indipendentemente dal fatto che si abbia in mano un modello Z o normale. A questo punto bisogna proseguire come di consueto: spegnere il ricevitore (Standby), caricare il file dei settings, lanciare il download e quando appare la scritta "Humax is waiting ..." accendere il ricevitore per far partire l'upgrade. Naturalmente tutti i file .hnf per Humax OAK sono compatibili anche col nuovo IRCI 5400Z ed il cavo da utilizzare e' il solito null-modem. E' ragionevolmente sicuro che con la dll patchata funzionino anche i 5400 normali.

Download Se-Oak & DLL per IRCI 5400Z

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
you're a bit behind mate :-)
The patchability of the non-patchable 5400z has been disclosed on this board some time ago.
Full schematics and software for doing it yourself are available here:
(English language docs included)
http://www.axs-ict.nl/humax5400/talen/english/index.htm

2old

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Not that far behind, 2old. Thanks to your advice a few weeks ago, when I was an even greener member than I now am, I found the Humax site and read up all the stuff on the new patch. I even downloaded the files. If I could find a dealer who admitted to having a 5400z in stock at a reasonable price, I might have bought one by now.

However, my eye was caught by the Italian site because it seems to have no mention of the Z board, which the Humax site indicates is an essential component in the patching process. I couldn't trust my far from perfect Italian to give me an accurate interpretation and even on-line translation services couldn't cope with the technical stuff, so I thought I'd ask for help. I guess that my assumption was wrong and that to diy a patch it will be necessary to build or buy the board.

Can't win 'em all!

wolsty

:-(

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-Oct-01 AT 10:46 PM (GMT)]What do you call a reasonable price Wolsty? these people supply patched for £350, don't know what they're like but worth a look.
http://www.sat-2000.com

Rolf

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
£350 seems to me the top end of what's reasonable, Rolf, although I've seen quotes as low as £289 in recent WotSat adverts. But perhaps I shouldn't believe everything I read in the papers. I am very much a newcomer to satellite matters and there's still a lot to learn.

Rather than price, though, the problems I've had over the past few days are:

1. finding anyone who has a Humax in stock;

2. finding anyone who knew that the 5400Z could be patched. There seems to be a lot of confusion out there.

I've had a look at the site whose address you gave and it seems very good, but I'm inclined to hold off a week or so before parting with £350 to see if the price drops.

Thanks for the information.

Wolsty

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-Oct-01 AT 11:48 PM (GMT)]Not a bad idea if you're patient (unlike me), but bear in mind that the Wotsat adverts are submitted 2 or 3 months prior to issue, so they are allways out of date. Also the one advertised is patched so no need to try and find a way of doing it yourself, I'd probably buy one myself, but I've got my heart set on one of the Echostars or perhaps even a Chaparral.

Rolf

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Not so much patient as tight-fisted. And indecisive. And I've got to prove to my wife that the money's better spent on satellite tv than on a new tumble-dryer!

Wish me luck!

Wolsty

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't envy you on that task Wolsty, the tumble drier would triumph with most women :) I don't have that problem, it's only me that I have to convince and I'm a pushover.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I would have trouble seeing the TV if I put a tumble dryer on top of the VCR

Women may not have much grey matter upstairs but explaining it as above should get some cogs turning

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Interesting concept CH, I think I might try it and sell it to the Tate Modern. :)

Rolf

PS. If you still want to get your Avatar working PM me with what you want to use and I'll sort it out for you.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Sorry Rolf

still cant get this avatar to you in any way it seems

cannot attach to e-mail

Please advise (2Old ?)

Wife just hit me for comments on this board - you lot are a bad influence

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
You showed the comments to your wife?

Listen, guys, you're supposed to be helping me to persuade my wife of the virtues of satellite television. I hate to think what might happen if I were to refer to women and shortage of grey matter in the same sentence.

I'd better go and see if I can mend the tumble drier.

wolsty

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
She was looking over my shoulder

If you need parts then this lot are about the best I know

http://www.elektrotek.co.uk/serv01.htm

Speak to Sean - Parts delivered next day

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
May well be beyond repair, I fear. That's the problem. It's 20 odd years old and has dried clothes and nappies for 4 kids, so it doesn't owe us anything. Still the supplier you recommended is useful - I frequently need odds and ends for our domestic appliances. Thanks.

wolsty

H

harmieuk2001

I thought Id translate it to make it easier for everyone :)

The new model of characterized Humax IRCI 5400 e' from the presence of
firmware that does not allow I use it of the seriale door for the
software loading alternatives that can be used for the illicit vision
of the channels to payment, quite without having to use the CAM Common
Interface for the various systems of conditioned access.

Various Leggermente the relative situation to the loading of the
settings. The receiver of for se' puo' communicating with the PC for
interscambio of the relative data to the list the channels, pero'
nobody of the editor in circulation allows such operation.
In order to use SE-OAK with sufficente Humax 5400Z e' to replace rows
FV3DLL.DLL that are found to the inside of directory the SE-OAK with
the homologous patchata DLL for the model Z. In order not to lose the
DLL original he convene rinominarla with an other name of the sort
FV3DLL_OLD.DLL. Once executed this operation must set up the field
System ID in the Windows Option to the value that turns out from your
receiver in the menu of interrogation of state (usually 01020600) and
then to save all. These are operations to execute independently from
the fact that has in hand a model Z or normal school. To this point
it must continue like of customary: to extinguish the receiver
(Standby), to load the rows with the settings, launch the download and
when the written " Humax appears is waiting... " to ignite the
receiver in order to make to leave the upgrade. Naturally all the
rows hnf for Humax OAK are compatible also with new IRCI 5400Z and the
cable to use e' the usual null-modem. Reasonably sure E' that with
the patchata DLL the 5400 normal schools work also.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I like the "ignite the receiver" instruction. I can well imagine that's what would be going through my own mind by that point.

This post seems to be referring to the loading of settings, not firmware.

To get the thing into a state in the first place that makes it patchable does require athe hardware interface to replace the bootloader. Indeed that is not mentioned in the text you pasted, but nor is it contradicted.

2old

B

bibi bear

Is it true that a 12€ device allows us to flash a new Z to the original 5400's 2.08 "O.S." bootstrap loader - WITHOUT SOLDERING ???

B

bibi bear

From what I've now read - two of the major differences btwn the orig and the "Z" seem to be that Humax has removed an electronic component (a 1.27mm Pitch Dual Row Straight connector manufactured by Molex) and of course a different bootloading software. It seems that replacing this connector physically returns the hardware to the original's condition. But I believe this still requires soldering. Can someone confirm all this and tell me if the soldering job is easy enough for someone who's never touched a soldering gun ? I also understand that Humax's P/N for this connector/contact is JP-255.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Humax have now pasted a sticker over the old JP 255 contacts on the Humax mainboard. "Warrany void when seal is broken" checkout the picture attachment-

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
If anyone is interested you can order the Molex connectors for the
JP250 connectors from the molex web site www.molex.com
The part number is 523680401

chris.