Advice Needed Humax Foxsat HDR Problem

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Hi all, I switched on 1 of my Humax boxes yesterday and discovered that something had gone wrong with the box! When you press any button the screen information display is faulty, it doesn't display all the details (channel info, signal strength/quality bars, etc) instead most of the display has been replaced by an "out of index"message. If you press the "guide" (peg) button, the box switches itself off and reboots. I can still access the recorded stuff on the hard drive (1tb) and watch it, but all the stuff set up to be recorded is not recording properly and is coming up as a garbled mess on the recorded list and is not accessible, if you try to play these the box reboots. I can still watch all the channels, change the volume (the volume bar doesn't show up) access what I've already recorded etc, the main problem is in it's current state I cannot access the epg or record anymore programs.

My other 2 boxes are still ok, if I interchange the remotes it makes no difference, they all work fine on the other boxes. I swapped over co axial cables with my motorised dish parked at 28E, no difference. Unplugged from the mains for a period of time, then reconnected, no difference. Left the box on overnight for the auto update, no difference. I cannot load anything via usb because the submenus don't display properly.

Any ideas as to what the problem is and whether it can be fixed?

Some photos to show the problem, using BBC4 just for contrast. Picture 2 shows the latest timed recordings at the bottom of the list (17/09 CH 106 & 107)

tv 1.png

tv2.png

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
My best guess is that the hard drive is failing. If so I don't really have a solution except for a new hard disk.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Pop the top off & have a look at the capacitors on the main board - especially the ones around the power supply. Keep your fingers clear though - theres enough charge stored to give you a really bad day!

Make sure none of them are bulging.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It's a modern Humax, has it been running in a cupboard ?

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Pop the top off & have a look at the capacitors on the main board - especially the ones around the power supply. Keep your fingers clear though - theres enough charge stored to give you a really bad day!

Make sure none of them are bulging.

Thanks AS
I'll bring home my electrical tools tomorrow and have a look, I've had a look on-line and if this is the problem then it looks easy to fix.:)

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
My best guess is that the hard drive is failing. If so I don't really have a solution except for a new hard disk.

Thanks Paul
If nothing else looks out of place internally, then this could be a possibility. I'll keep using it and see what happens, if it is the hard drive then eventually it will fail completely, then I will look to see if it can be changed out.

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Duff capacitors can play havoc with gear!

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 X Technomate TM-5302HD, Blade 7000s, triax 95cm STAB HH90, 1 M TM dish TM2300 super motor.
My Location
Glasgow
Duff capacitors can play havoc with gear!
What is it with Humax and duff capacitors, I've replaced quite a few over the years, ( one 2 weeks ago ) they Really need to get a better source !
rob

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
In retrospect I would suspect the capacitors before the HD.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Cheapo Chinese caps! TV's made by Vestel are known to use them as well. A mate of mine has a Hitachi TV which is 6 years old and I gave him two new caps for the PSU. All good now. :)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Samsung is also guilty of using rubbish caps in their TV's as well.