Humax Foxsat use in Europe?

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Sat Dishes, Pace Sky Box, Freesat-HD Box & HD TV.
My Location
South Wales
Hi.

Not sure if this thread is being put in correct place, so if not then sorry.

I would like some help please as I am looking to use a Humax Foxsat HD box in Europe predominately Spain & Portugal and wondered if anyone can tell me if this is feasible please?

I have an 80cm Dish but have concerns that due to the 'footprint' from the transponder I might not be able to get any signal?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
If we knew which HD services you are after and from which satellite not only would we know if you have posted in the correct section but also someone may be able to answer your question.

I would however have thought the Humax HD section would be more relevant initially so will move it there

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
How kind!
Unfortunately I am not a 'Sat Geek' and I just use this technophobic equipment.

TV Channels are the 'Normal' ones like BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CNN, CCTV, Channel 4 & Five.

I believe the satellite is the one that provides the South Beam Footprint as Portugal is outside the 'normal' footprint for the UK.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Most of those channels are on the spot beam. Take a look in this section for more info.

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Thank you satelliteman for the 'pointer'.
I see that 'iceman' posted a sticky "How to change default transponder on new HD interface" which is what I used to do on the Pace 1000 box (Now obsolete) that I had, however there was no answer to clarify/confirm if this had worked and some of the channels from the 'spot beam' were then available on the 12207 which is termed the 'South Beam' by the caravan/motorhome fraternity.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Neither am I a sat geek

Had you mentioned you wanted UK channels or Freesat I would not have had to ask the question.

If caravanning dish size would be even more relevant then and 80 cm is unlikely to be sufficient if moving from place to place, however that entirely depends upon where you are and a few Km can make all the difference owing to the presence of spurious side lobes.

Some HD services are on the South beam and some on the North, as you mentioned and can see by the link some will be out of reach in Spain/Portugal
_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2a_north.html

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Well Topper, you surprise me.
Humax Foxsat HD is a Freesat Box.
We have used with good results a 60cm dish down as far as the most westerly tip of Portugal, connected to a Pace 1000 Sky Box and a £20 (BBC) viewing card as we got fed up getting ripped off by Sky for Repeats, and more Repeats, so for us Mr Murdoch can politely get lost.
I now realise that it is possible to change the Transponder Frequency on a Freesat Box and will see if it can be done on the Humax as I used to do it on the Pace, but it still does not answer the basic question which was 'can I get any channels on 12207 (South Beam) in Portugal?'

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Traveller11 said:
Well Topper, you surprise me.
Humax Foxsat HD is a Freesat Box.

Well I am sorry I do not meet your expectations however I neither work in the industry nor do I feel the need to remember details of every stb ever produced.

As regards your other question south beams will not be a problem in Portugul on your 80cm as can be seen from the map
_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2a_south.html

but as mentioned not all channel programming is available on the South beam

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I thought the south beam default transponder change is not relevant to Freesat boxes - the Freesat data streams are carried on the Eurobird 1 satellite which covers most of Europe.

Of course quite a few of the Freesat channels are carried on the Astra 2D spotbeam which needs the silly sized dishes in various parts of the Iberian peninsular.

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Unfortunately I already know what you are telling me, as I have been to Portugal on 4 occasions now, and obtained the 'Footprint Coverage Map' around 4 years ago from a guy who wrote some very helpful information on setting up satellite dishes whilst caravnning.
My first trip was using a UK 'Sky dish' (Smaller than the Scottish Sky Dish) that came off a condemed building and worked, this was then replaced with my current 60cm Dish 0.4Lnb and £3.99 Lidl 'Sat Finder' which continues to work wonderfully well.
However the question relating to whether a Humax Foxsat HD box will work in Portugal still remains unanswered.
Maybe I will have to take one with me and find out as that appears to be the present solution.

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Sorry Analoguesat.
All I know is that the Humax Foxsat HD box can be Re-set Manually to the South Beam Transponder, whether it will pick anything up or not is a different question, but here at the moment in the UK it is telling me I have 100% Signal Strength and just over 60% Signal Quality, so there is something there which it looks like the only way to find out is take it with me and try it out as nobody seems to be able to provide the 'answer' to the initial question???