Humax hdr boot proble..

jonilaal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
merseyside
hi,
recently bought myself a humax freesat hdr.It's been great until last week, turned set on as usual only for the set to remain in boot mode TV screen displays humax sign for a few seconds then disappears :confused.I have tried leaving off for 24 hrs, leaving on for 24 hrs, just the same, was hoping someone could suggest a quick solution/help ..:)
also tried turning set on/off whilst keeping stand-by button pressed in.

thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sounds like it's goosed.

How's your Warranty?

jonilaal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
merseyside
hi Tivù,
bought in June from martin dawes,got in touch with them apparently they have gone into administration. They told me to get in touch with humax direct.was hoping for a quick reset fix..:)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sorry to be a killjoy, but I'm not aware of one.

If it won't boot, you can't even get into the bowels and do a Factory Reset.

You could try phoning Humax Tech, but they have a somewhat variable reputation varying between brilliant and dire.

In the circumstance, however, they may be sympathetic to providing a repair or replacement themselves.

Finally, did you pay by Credit Card? If so, I believe your Card provider might have an obligation to assist you.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hmmm. Looks like a "pre-pack" Administration ..........

_http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/business/s/1124938_martin_dawes_deal_saves_99_jobs

I don't know if you have a claim against the new Owner, but I suspect that Administration of this type works against the interests of the unsuspecting Consumer.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you are confident, you could disconnect the Hard Drive and try Booting up: Obviously it will then tell you it can't find the Hard Drive, but you can then reconnect it and try to reformat it.

I see you've been given similar answers on another Forum too.

I personally think that persevering with contacting Humax would be the best way forward.

jonilaal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
merseyside
tried to email humax afew days ago but no reply,will give them a bell .I did pay via credit card,that's something i never thought of.Will try humax first thou.thanks Tivù:-thumb1:-thumb1

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I tried to contact Humax's technical service by email about a fault on my HDR. After I had given up waiting for a reponse I phoned them and they had no record of an email from me!

Anyway, the phone service was much better. After listening to my problem they suggested reformatting my hard drive (doesn't sound like an option for you though) and then said that given the problems I was having they would exchange the complete unit. The emailed the claim form to me and all I have to do is fill it in and return it to them.

They want proof of purchase as well but if you email the form back to them you can send a scan of your receipt so you can still keep hold of the original.

My only problem is lack of the receipt - I hope yours isn't!

jonilaal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
merseyside
Tivù (thanks for helping):-righton tried disconnecting hd. box came back on menus and all ,did a factory reset(at this point I'm feeling very happy) connected hd drive back but set didn't seem to recognise it tried reset again but just went to boot then froze(not feeling so happy).
-----------
paulr (thanks for helping) :-righton phoned humax very nice man emailing me a warranty form.When I bought the set from martin dawes over the tinternet they told me the receipt would follow a week after the box arrived,it never so after phoning they sent a invoice which combined with a credit card statement will hopefully satisfy them.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well, good progress .........

Clearly the HDD is u/s so can't be reformatted.

I'm sure the Invoice/Credit Card evidence will be good enough to satisfy Humax.

Congratulations on getting through to them so quickly!

Thanks for letting us know how you're getting on.

I wonder what happens to the "Refurbished" Boxes - do they go back on Sale through the usual outlets (suitably marked as Grade B or something similar, of course .......)?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Almost certainly they'll appear as graded items, perhaps with a new hard disk and new firmware.

jonilaal

Did you notice which hard disk was installed in your HDR? Mine has a Seagate Pipeline ST3320310CS. The Pipeline range seems to be disk of choice for AV applications - the 1TB version seems to be one of the few that will work when upgrading the Samsung $ly HD PVR.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Tivù said:
Well, good progress .........

Clearly the HDD is u/s so can't be reformatted.

I'm sure the Invoice/Credit Card evidence will be good enough to satisfy Humax.

Congratulations on getting through to them so quickly!

Thanks for letting us know how you're getting on.

I wonder what happens to the "Refurbished" Boxes - do they go back on Sale through the usual outlets (suitably marked as Grade B or something similar, of course .......)?

They refurbish and sell them here

_http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10076&cat=Factory