Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax IR-ACE-SII

P4, 3GHz
My Location
Sri Lanka
Hello All,
Hope someone can explain the following to me. :-doh2

I recently received a Humax IR-ACE-SII receiver along with a 105cm oval dish and Ku band LNB. This setup was used in Bahrain to view Pay channels, namley e-Pehla and e-Firstnet. The Transponder used was NileSat. The irdetto access card was in the slot. All these equipment were supplied by the service provider in Bahrain and also installed by them.

I live in Sri Lanka. Almost near colombo. So I set up the dish and LNB, and plugged it to the Humax and tried to lock on to Intelsat 12 (PAS 12).. no luck
Then on to NSS 6...again no luck. What I did was in the Installation menu, under Antenna Setting, I filled 2 user defined satellites.. I moved the dish all around.. but 0% signal strength and 0% quality. I used the calculator at www.satsig.net to get the proper azimuth and elevation angles for both transponders.

Then i selected a preset Satellite transponder... there were several.. for e.g TURKSAT... and the signal strength burst to 89%.. Quality 0%.

This was the same for most of the other preset tranponders, with few exceptions.

I also tried with several different settings Such as choosing different LNB frequencies, LNB Power on/off.. but nothing.

I even tried Choosing Nilesat and then adjusting the dish for PAS 12. The signal strength went upto 91% but quality remained at 0%.

I later noticed that the receiver too was branded with the provider's logo.

I even bought a new LNB, thinking the old one was faulty.

Same results from the new one.

Pls can someone explain this situation. Any help appreciated!
Is it possible that the soft on the Humax is programmed in some way not to work without OTA updates? or some similar method?

Again any help to shed light on this situ is appreciated.
:-worship

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Bassa

OK well the fact that the signal strength has gone up does suggest that you are receiving something but it may not be what you are expecting. In other words you think you are pointing at Intelsat 12 but it is actually another bird, and therefore your setting are not correct to receive it. It looks to me as if the only Free To Air channel is on Tp 11 12699V 5860 3/4.

Just because it burst into life on a pre-set channel or transponder it does not mean you found Turksat. I notice you do not even mentioning the other variables here for example SR and FEC, or horizontal or vertical transmissions they are vitally important and must be set correctly as per the information on here Lastly digital receivers do not work instantly, any movement made with the dish you must wait a few seconds to allow the stb to process the digital signals, it is not like the analogue days when you could see the display rolling as the signal began to be received before it locked, with digital it is on or off nothing in between and all receivers differ

Bassa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax IR-ACE-SII

P4, 3GHz
My Location
Sri Lanka
Hi Topper,
Thanks for the reply. The conditions were same for NSS6, and it has several free to air channels. My point is that Quality never came to even 1%..no matter if I pointed at PAS 12 or NSS6, the strength varies, but quality remains a constant 0%, thus no use of feeding in frequencies or polarization..

What I meant with using a Preset Transponder e.g Turksat, is this is only situ where i get a signal for strength. When using User defined selections, even signal strength remains 0%.

In other words, when using "user defined 1', stregth 0%, quality 0%..
When I switch to a preset transponder e.g NILESAT, even though the sat dish is pointing towards the floor, signal strength is 64%, quality is 0%.. By aligning to NSS6 or PAS 12 i can increase the signal stregth to up to 91%, BUT QUALITY IS 0%.

Is my Humax defective?

Bassa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax IR-ACE-SII

P4, 3GHz
My Location
Sri Lanka
Hi Again,
I fixed my Humax at another friends house, whose dish was already pointed at NSS6. He entered the transponders manually and the channels started appearing. :p

However, no FTA channels are viewable, as an error is shown saying to switch to a scrambled service and back. Perhaps a OTA is needed.
'O'-red

So my conclusion.. this STB was meant for pay channels. I guess i need to Flash the thing.

Unfortunately, there are no updates at www.humaxdigital.com for this model.. O-no

So, anybody out there know whether some other models firmware would fit?
All I want is to see FTA's.... and to make something out of an otherwise useless receiver.

Any help appreciated :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I am glad you made some progress I do not know if this helps but here is some info about your stb