Hydra_Zeus and USB (and hdd)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
I am almost convinced that there are bugs in Hydra_Zeus when managing add-ons onto the usb.
I stuck in usb stick (1 G:cool: unmounted it, formatted it (as disk) and then managed add-ons onto it. This reduced the stated useage of /var from 89% to 2%. DB booted OK. the second time I rebooted, DB hung and would only restart if usb stick was removed. Then /var was back up to 89% so nothing apparently lost. Reformatted and re-loaded usb and it was OK, until the 2nd boot when it hung again. So discard usb and try to manage add-ons onto my 300 GB hdd. Also rebooted OK but now /var only went down to 45% not 2%. Also the multi-EPG facility had disappeared. Other problems like different web server response appeared so I re-flashed. For me, there is no point in trying usb or hdd anymore with Hydra_Zeus, unless clarity comes from experts!

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
haggard said:
I am almost convinced that there are bugs in Hydra_Zeus when managing add-ons onto the usb.
I stuck in usb stick (1 G:cool: unmounted it, formatted it (as disk) and then managed add-ons onto it. This reduced the stated useage of /var from 89% to 2%. DB booted OK. the second time I rebooted, DB hung and would only restart if usb stick was removed. Then /var was back up to 89% so nothing apparently lost. Reformatted and re-loaded usb and it was OK, until the 2nd boot when it hung again. So discard usb and try to manage add-ons onto my 300 GB hdd. Also rebooted OK but now /var only went down to 45% not 2%. Also the multi-EPG facility had disappeared. Other problems like different web server response appeared so I re-flashed. For me, there is no point in trying usb or hdd anymore with Hydra_Zeus, unless clarity comes from experts!

Maybe thats what up with my connection to the DCC. |Goint to put Anagharad back on and see if thats the problem. Back in a moment.

-RTFM-

DB Reader
Reaction score
My Location
Gloucestershire
I'm using Zeus in flash, pretty sure /var is cool for me. My problem is booting another image from the USB, just doesn't happen 'O'-red . So I'm considering re-flashing with an older image.

I'll checkout my setup when I get back to the ranch and post something useful. Where did you get your 300GB drive and what did it set you back haggard?

RTFM

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
john_graydon said:
Maybe thats what up with my connection to the DCC. |Goint to put Anagharad back on and see if thats the problem. Back in a moment.

No Still nothing Haggard. Going to do a whole complete reflash tomorrow. Just trying to think back its only since i put the zeus on that the dcc and dream box edit wont connect. Went through all menus and entered the correct settings and still nothing.

jonnie666

Reaction score
thought it was just my db since upgradding to zeus no dcc or dream box edit connection

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
RTFM said:
I'm using Zeus in flash, pretty sure /var is cool for me. My problem is booting another image from the USB, just doesn't happen 'O'-red . So I'm considering re-flashing with an older image.

I'll checkout my setup when I get back to the ranch and post something useful. Where did you get your 300GB drive and what did it set you back haggard?

RTFM
I looked on official dreambox site and this maxtor 5400 300 GB was on their approved list so I googled for best price. I could have got a 160 GB for a 3rd of the price, but sometimes, I just have to buy the biggest available. It was between £200 and £250 delivered.
It is quiet and cool. Now I have 120 GB of movies on it (to be cleared over Christmas, I think I do hear a longer start up whirr but I am very happy with it.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
jonnie666 said:
thought it was just my db since upgradding to zeus no dcc or dream box edit connection

Found out my problem. Internet firewall just turned it off and everything was fine. Did`nt bother to look at this because i allowed all connections for this connection but must have failed somewhere. Maybe Zeus has a firewall prob.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
my hdd perforance has defo deteriorated with Zeus.

1 - the time shifting is not working properly for certain channels

2 - the disk seems to hang quiet a bit, and also does a lot of turning and clicking before it goes to where it should...

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
wallycharlo said:
2 - seems to hang quiet a bit, and also does a lot of turning and clicking before it goes to where it should...
sounds like my missus

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
My 160 gig internal drive is only used to store recording before I ftp them to the Mac. The mac has four of them and then trasfer to DVD - it take a bit of time but worth it. Never get a chance to watch anything!

Never had a need for a larger drive - have another friends DB with a larger drive and it tends to stall when playing back. He also uses a USB image.

Tried the USB image thing in the early days but have now come to the conclusion if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Since moving the /var folder to the HDD haven't looked back.

Merry Christmas to everyone....

Hate the word Xmas!!!!

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
My 160 gig internal drive is only used to store recording before I ftp them to the Mac. The mac has four of them and then trasfer to DVD - it take a bit of time but worth it. Never get a chance to watch anything!

Never had a need for a larger drive - have another friends DB with a larger drive and it tends to stall when playing back. He also uses a USB image.

Tried the USB image thing in the early days but have now come to the conclusion if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Since moving the /var folder to the HDD haven't looked back.

Merry Christmas to everyone....

Hate the word Xmas!!!!
Did you use add-on manager to move /var?
Or just ftpd it?

I notice that on hdd, when I moved using manager, it made a directory The_Hydra, inside which was a directory with a large number as its name inside which was /var.
I also notice that now I have abandoned, that, I cannot delete everything in The_Hydra due to privileges.

I also dislike Xmas, but not as much as the word they use at the West End of the East Lancs Road.
Will "A Joyous Yuletide" do?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
Did you use add-on manager to move /var?
Or just ftpd it?

Used the add-on manager

I notice that on hdd, when I moved using manager, it made a directory The_Hydra, inside which was a directory with a large number as its name inside which was /var.

The same here - it works though

I also notice that now I have abandoned, that, I cannot delete everything in The_Hydra due to privileges.

Not tried this...