I am/am I a dinosaur?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
I'd like comments from the top.
I have traditionally used 4 lnbs (2 on 2 dishes) to get 19.2E + 13E and 5E + 1W and switched by DiSeqC. I got put off motors by helping a friend set up a 2m Behemoth in Mallorca which then kept me awake at night while his boyfriend scoured Scanadinavia for suitable channels and the motor trundled noisily back and forth.

There's a review in Wotsat this month of a French sat motor for 60 quid. It claims 3.5 degrees per second. I' m not saying I should have one of these but I'd like to here what motor-folks say about theirs.
Which one can you say is worth having:
reliability
ease of setting up
I need these rather than saving a tenner or 2 or maybe 3.
I guess I could then put my best lnb, syntec 2000 on my best dish and always have prime focus.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well m8, opinion differs widely. Mine is a Moteck SG2100 which is great.

I'll not go rambling on, as there are loads of posts here on that motor.

Just really wanted to say that I'm sure you'll find ANY diseqc motor much quieter than the 2M job!

They might be slow, but they're virtually silent.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
BGonaSTICK said:
They might be slow, but they're virtually silent.
I have the same motor as you and its right next to my window, and it's far from silent. I have often wondered whether the neighbours have noticed the hive of activity at around 11pm.;)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, I meant silent from INSIDE the house. Who cares if the neighbours want to sleep in the garden and then complain to you the next day!

Seriously, my motor is 4M outside a single glazed window, and I can't hear it even with the window open (it's round the corner of the house, though not the house in my earlier post!) :)

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Noisewise though i cannot here it in anyrooms that arent directly next to the motor, so i guess thats reasonably quiet. From what i've heard of the heavy duty stuff, its all a lot louder.

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Moteck SG-2100, voted best by SatCritics, I cannot hear mine moving, only 6ft from where I sit. The Fortec Star 2100 is identical and comes from the same factory, different box and labels. One drives a 1.25m Gibertini dish the other drives a 85cm Gibertini dish.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also helps if you fill your mast with dry sand or similar, helps to further reduce any noise. :)

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
AForester said:
Moteck SG-2100, voted best by SatCritics, I cannot hear mine moving, only 6ft from where I sit. The Fortec Star 2100 is identical and comes from the same factory, different box and labels. One drives a 1.25m Gibertini dish the other drives a 85cm Gibertini dish.

So you have a 125cm Gibertini on the SG-2100?

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
I have the Metronic motor too. It seems to work quite well and is not particularly noisy. I haven't had any complaints from the neighbours. It seems well made and is not too difficult to setup once you understand what you are doing.

It really does move very quickly. A little too quick sometimes because when searching for a weak satellite you often zoom right past it before the signal indicator has a chance to respond.

The speed is of little benefit to me because my cheapie Lidl receiver insists on counting down 30 seconds even if the motor stops moving after 10.

I would certainly recommend getting a motor. It's amazing how many satellites and stations you can receive in good weather, even with a relatively small dish (mine's 80cm). It's a lot of fun just searching for them, even if you don't actually watch any of them.

Phil.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
Also helps if you fill your mast with dry sand or similar, helps to further reduce any noise. :)
I tried this several times. It made no difference to the sound level but did make a mess on the floor as the sand fell out of the bottom of the tube.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
BonceChops said:
but did make a mess on the floor as the sand fell out of the bottom of the tube.
I hope this is a joke, or did you not realise that the tube needed to have the bottom end blocked up. :p Anyways I havent got round to trying it anyway, and since I am so lazy I probably wont bother.