I have a wall for a dish

bobbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
aOpen MiniPc 2.16 Core Duo, 512Mb, rubbish graphics with TechnoTrend S2-3600
My Location
Stretham, Cambridgeshire, Uk
I was wondering how I can work out which satelllites I will be able to get the dish to point at?

Thanks Mat.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It will depend on which direction your wall faces. If it faces due South and you are in the UK, then you should be able to see most of the popular satellites pointing at Europe, but reception on some will depend on dish size.

PS. It would help if you put some information in your user profile, it will save the string of questions which will ensue.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I have a wall,facing west.Good for Nilesat,Amos and Thor.
Buyer collects.:-rofl2

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Checking a road map of your area (or one of the streetmap / mapquest online sites) and positioning your house on the map, will give you a good idea of your wall and how far off it is from South and of what's available.

Or check the sun at various times of day and reference it to the time and position

Or get a compass ..........

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I have a dish for a wall, but GoogleEarth (and the landlord) sez no.... :(

bobbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I belive my wall points directly due east, which is a bit of a problem as putting a dish on the front of my house won't go down so well with the lady wife!

Which means that it would have to go on a pole at the back of the house, is this allowed with the planning permission and stuff?

Thanks Mat.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Most councils are likely to object to a dish being positioned above the roof eaves (or soffice).

A due East wall may be suitable for the majority of satellites, since a stand off mount will allow some reception beyond true south, as long as the dish rim does not foul the brackets.

What about the garden ?

bobbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Garden is not an option as the wife will also object to that! I will have to investigate how far around I can get with a stand off mount or convince the wife that I can use the front of the house as it points due south.

Mat.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
bobbob said:
Garden is not an option as the wife will also object to that! I will have to investigate how far around I can get with a stand off mount or convince the wife that I can use the front of the house as it points due south.

Mat.

Send the missus away on a holiday, put the dish up on the back wall, "accidentally" run over your ladders with the car, and you're sorted, unless she goes out and buys a new set of ladders... :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The back wall above the gutterline should be fine, there is nothing the council or neighbours can do, providing that it isn't above the highest part of the roof excluding the chimney and it isn't bigger than 1m.

How sharp is your roof pitch?

bobbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The roof is not that steep so that might work. I will have a look at the weekend.

I need to work out the angle the dish will need to be set at, now I read how to work that out somewhere on this forum, best go and find it.

Mat.

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
As a rough guide, if the precise spot where you intend siting your dish is in full sun from sunrise to sunset you will get pretty good coverage. This is a good indicator because in UK we are coming up to one of the 2 times of year (i.e. mid March and mid September) when the path of the sun follows exactly the Clarke Belt . If any shadow from trees or buildings fall on your intended site, this might well indicate that you will not get any sats hiding behind these trees or buildings.
Height of the dish doesnt really matter as long as it sees the arc of the Clarke Belt -and from a convenience/accessibility view there's a lot to be said for a pole in the back garden - you could always train a few plants to climb up it and cover the back of the dish!

:)

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Channel Master with matched feedhorn + Inverto 0.3dB lnb.

1224 H to H motor ground mounted.
Technomate 5400CI+ USB and
v-box
My Location
Wirral
digdog said:
As a rough guide, if the precise spot where you intend siting your dish is in full sun from sunrise to sunset you will get pretty good coverage. This is a good indicator because in UK we are coming up to one of the 2 times of year (i.e. mid March and mid September) when the path of the sun follows exactly the Clarke Belt . If any shadow from trees or buildings fall on your intended site, this might well indicate that you will not get any sats hiding behind these trees or buildings.
Height of the dish doesnt really matter as long as it sees the arc of the Clarke Belt -and from a convenience/accessibility view there's a lot to be said for a pole in the back garden - you could always train a few plants to climb up it and cover the back of the dish!

This sounds interesting as I'm trying to decide on a position to put a dish.
Just how high an angle is the top of the arc at 1W (Thor I think). My roof incline is about 30-32 degrees (does that sound about right?) so would I be able to mount a 1 metre motorised dish above the gutter line pointing south and see all birds from about 35e to 35w? What height above the gutter would it have to be with this slope of roof.
Just in case it's slightly steeper, what would be the steepest roof allowed to still get these birds?

Thanks

Frank

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It will depend on the precise orientation of the house, as the top of your arc in the Wirral is around 30 degrees. You will have to brush up your technical drawing and do a site plan. :)

In your situation, I would get a minidish and a meter and check the arc from a ladder, or even pay somebody with a meter, £50 to do it for you, then at least you'll be sure. :)

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
If you wish to see Satellite elevation etc details to check your arc there are a number of utilities on line which will let you do this - one I have used is:-

h_t_t_p://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-uk-ireland.htm

And if you want a simple diy inclinometer have a look here:-

h_t_t_p://www.exploratorium.edu/math_explorer/tfl_howHigh_inclinometer.html

-cant let the kids have all the fun!

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Channel Master with matched feedhorn + Inverto 0.3dB lnb.

1224 H to H motor ground mounted.
Technomate 5400CI+ USB and
v-box
My Location
Wirral
digdog said:
If you wish to see Satellite elevation etc details to check your arc there are a number of utilities on line which will let you do this - one I have used is:-

h_t_t_p://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-uk-ireland.htm

And if you want a simple diy inclinometer have a look here:-

h_t_t_p://www.exploratorium.edu/math_explorer/tfl_howHigh_inclinometer.html

-cant let the kids have all the fun!

Along with the Satsig site above to get your exact location, I have been using a free program to work out where the best place to position my dish is, taking into account position, obstacles, satellites etc....... give it a try, I've found the perfect place now:)

Go to Google and type in 'Gorb Track'.....it's a really useful program.

Frank