I have managed to destroy my reception

reaper 7

Reaction score
Website
barmedfootball.com
My Satellite Setup
SmartBox 301 FTA Receiver and a 60cm Dish.
My Location
London
I added a plate to my wall as before the sat wire came in from the window! Here is my handy work:

Picture006.jpg

(Note: On the first pic I later tucked the insular wire under the left screw and made sure it was tight..of the black sat wire)

What I noticed immediately was one of my channels was no blocking severely, ERT WORLD. Every other channel was fine. I rewired the plate and still the same. Than I reattached the plug to the coaxial cable and have a feeling that is where the problem is:

View attachment 12342

because, whenever i touch the plug as shown above, IE the shiny bit... my reception is perfect. As soon as I remove my finger, blocking as usual. It was all working fine before the plate went in today. Any ideas?

PS (if this is the wrong section, please move it to the correct place! Thanks!)

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 41
  • fcon.gif
    fcon.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 68

doncoolman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
95dish, satcatcher diseqc motor, Voyager3 rx, cams etc
My Location
lancashire
Initial opinion, not too good, beware of kinks in CoAx cables - as your white one - it sets up standing waves which wipe out channels. Also, Try to retain the coaxiality of the wiring. Pigtails are bad unless the cable retains its circular cross section. Its all to do with the cable impedance being D/d * a constant for that cable, all a bit technical but absolutely vital to signals.

reaper 7

Reaction score
Website
barmedfootball.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Thanks for the help, but can u explain to me why the picture is fine when i touch the coaxial plug to the plate? I have a feeling that is a key fact.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
reaper 7 said:
Thanks for the help, but can u explain to me why the picture is fine when i touch the coaxial plug to the plate? I have a feeling that is a key fact.

Presumably your body is providing a path to earth.

Just a point to remember every time you cut and join a cable (even with the correct connectors or plates) you are introducing signal losses at that point.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK

Attachments

• fbarrel.gif
    fbarrel.gif
    2 KB · Views: 75

reaper 7

Reaction score
Website
barmedfootball.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
So it could be an earthing problem?

@robbo71 how do i connect that?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I don't like these outlet plates, as the board is normally bad quality and the connectors are too close to the edge, causing sharp bends in the coa. You certainly need to make sure that the cable going into the saddle is completely screened with foil and braid, then you know that the earth is good and are less likely to get any interference.

PS, have uploaded your photos for you, we don't like image links, as they distort the thread and leave the thread meaningless, if people move or delete their hosted photos.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
reaper 7 said:

What Robbo71 is suggesting is to remove the board from the outlet plate, leaving just the holses and connect the cables through the holes via F connector and female to female adaptor barrels, would be a much better solution, though not quite as pretty.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
reaper 7 said:

Ideally you would have no join at all, just a hole in the wall, which can be neatened up with a simple cover plate with a hole neatly drilled in it.
(Or in my case, just a hole in the wall, can't see it behind the tv)

To use the 'barrel' connector, just fit an F-connector to both cables, and screw them both onto each end of the barrel.

edit- yes and explained almost perfectly by rolf apart from the 'holses'

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
reaper 7 said:

What Robbo71 is suggesting is to remove the board from the outlet plate, leaving just the holes and connect the cables through the holes via F connector and female to female adaptor barrels, would be a much better solution, though not quite as pretty.

reaper 7

Reaction score
Website
barmedfootball.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
I did exactly what you said, I pulled out the 'guts' of the plate as the americans put it on another site and connected directly(it and the tv aeriel) simply through the holes and with the plug robbo71 suggested. Just want to thank you all for help.

Vite

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Now you can send the guts back to wherever you got it from and tell them it is a shit design.

reaper 7

Reaction score
Website
barmedfootball.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
yea, it was really overpriced as well imo, £29.00 for a satin crome tv/sat wall plate..
Seems ridiculous.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
reaper 7 said:
yea, it was really overpriced as well imo, £29.00 for a satin crome tv/sat wall plate..
Seems ridiculous.
:eek::eek::eek:

Reassemble it, and take it back for a refund.

Then get a blanking plate in the same material and a drill bit.

reaper 7

Reaction score
Website
barmedfootball.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
It is a good idea, but I am in essence and reality and Notting Hill Trustifarian. I can't be arsed to take it back and drill anything, plus it looks ok. I spose the rule is, never go to NuLine, they rip you off after having cloned your card..